Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #6,016 of 9,207
May 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #6,017 of 9,207
Quote:
WA6-SE pairs great with LCD-2. however, it takes some tube rolling to really open them up. (higher gain power tubes + the mighty 596 or GZ34 rectifier).

+1! 

I have the ALO Pan Am (about $500) and the WA6-SE (about $1200). In terms of price to quality ratio I might have to admit that the Pan Am is amazing but I have been comparing them as much as possible (for me, young audiophile) and at the end of the day with the right tube pairing I got the WA6-SE to make wonders! Don't forget a good DAC (if you need).
Regarding the tubes that I use with the WA6-SE I really enjoy the pairing of a Mullard CV378 (rectifier tube) and 6FD7.
I hope that helped you to make a choice :)

May 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,019 of 9,207
No need for the regurgitation. :)

May 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6,021 of 9,207
Quote:

O - I was speaking more so of new comers..

Just picking. 
tongue.gif

May 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #6,023 of 9,207
For what's available in the market now and the price the Icon Audio is at and when I did hear them, they are not a worthy competitor to other well mentioned amps for the LCD2's.

May 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #6,026 of 9,207
I couldn't find the amp recommendation thread so could you guys give me one? Preferably something under $500 that I could run out of my 4 year old MacBook pro to the LCD-2.2. I'm fairly new to using amps since the Pro 900 never really needed one to satisfy me. I've been using an old Pioneer receiver to drive the AKG Q701 (works fairly well considering I run a typical 1/8" stereo jack from my computer to the receiver) but I kind of want to pamper the LCD-2 as its always been a dream headphone for me--and in a few days it will be a reality!

A short description of what I'd need to make the connections from computer>amp>headphones would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks for the info!

-an amp/headphone newb

May 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,027 of 9,207
I couldn't find the amp recommendation thread so could you guys give me one? Preferably something under $500 that I could run out of my 4 year old MacBook pro to the LCD-2.2. I'm fairly new to using amps since the Pro 900 never really needed one to satisfy me. I've been using an old Pioneer receiver to drive the AKG Q701 (works fairly well considering I run a typical 1/8" stereo jack from my computer to the receiver) but I kind of want to pamper the LCD-2 as its always been a dream headphone for me--and in a few days it will be a reality!

A short description of what I'd need to make the connections from computer>amp>headphones would be much appreciated as well!

At that price, best I've heard is the Schiit Lyr ($450). Of course, you'd need a DAC with that one as well. If you try plugging the Lyr directly into your Mac, you will hear why that wouldn't work. 

You should do MBpro > optical cable > Schiit Bifrost > RCA to RCA interconnect > Schiit Lyr > LCD-2

A friend of mine has been pretty satisfied using the Modi with the Lyr instead of the Bifrost, so if you're short on cash, maybe that's the way to go.

May 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #6,028 of 9,207
Thanks for the reply! I've been thinking about the O2 + ODAC combo by JDS. It's inexpensive and hopefully won't confuse me. Can I run a USB from my MB pro to the O2 + ODAC? I have an optical cable but not one that I can run from my MB pro.

Thanks again!

May 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #6,029 of 9,207
You could also try the ASUS Xonar Essence One. I think it's fairly good with the LCD 2's.

May 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #6,030 of 9,207
I had a WA22 with my LCD-2's, and loved it. Has to sell it for financial reasons, and had to "downgrade" it to a Burson Soloist. Difference? Not as huge as the $1300AUD price disparity would indicate. There's not as much warmth, a tad less body, but I've actually gained extra drive in the bass, and I think, better PRAT, I was a little more excited playing rock, as the bass was also rhythmically tighter. Great amp, and a comparative bargain. Also for a solid state there's a splash of warmth. Synergy for me is definitely there. Feed it a better source, and it gets better and better, so if your recordings are top notch, you'll reap the benefits, as the transparency is high. And as I understand its made in Australia, so if you live here, support locally made product:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back