Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 5, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #5,596 of 9,207
So you
More than fine. RSA Predator will do it too, but the LCD-2 isn't really that unforgiving of bad source, just make sure whatever is going into it is alright and you'll be happy if you already have an SR-71A.

If you need a compact amp that isnt' terrible to ship, I have experience with the Audio GD and a few other sub $500 dac/amps and I can say that AGD is great bang per buck in a small package that won't cost you $100 in shipping.

What do you mean by bad source? Is it the music file quality or the device which is playing the music. If you are talking about the device, will a iPhone 4S suffice or I need to get a receiver or something. Btw, is a receiver like a desktop sized amp?

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5,598 of 9,207
Can anyone comment on what would be an upgrade below 1500 USD coming from the Schiit Lyr. I'm open to tube and SS. I really want the Decware Taboo MKIII but it's kind of over budget.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #5,600 of 9,207
Quote:
Can anyone comment on what would be an upgrade below 1500 USD coming from the Schiit Lyr. I'm open to tube and SS. I really want the Decware Taboo MKIII but it's kind of over budget.

I've said it in this thread before,

But people with the Bryston BHA-1 and LCD 2 are loving the combo - even some people who have rolled through a lot of amps.

I demoed it with the LCD 2 myself and was pretty impressed.  It was the first ortho I've heard that doesn't necessarily have that very distinguishable ortho treble (only a very brief listening session - I bet it would still show itself).

Anyway, if you like the bass the LCD2 has to offer, the Bryston pushes it with ease

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #5,601 of 9,207
Quote:

But people with the Bryston BHA-1 and LCD 2 are loving the combo - even some people who have rolled through a lot of amps.

I demoed it with the LCD 2 myself and was pretty impressed.  It was the first ortho I've heard that doesn't necessarily have that very distinguishable ortho treble (only a very brief listening session - I bet it would still show itself).

Anyway, if you like the bass the LCD2 has to offer, the Bryston pushes it with ease

ortho bass!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,602 of 9,207
Quote:

ortho bass!!
beerchug.gif

I'd just say the ortho sound in its entirety is pretty distinguishable, even if it is hard to put into words.

There is a specificity to the treble and midrange that I seem to hear consistently on orthos, headphones and speakers alike.

It could be the way the bass mids and treble interact.  Who knows, the whole spectrum plays a role in the overall sound

EDIT - I know what you mean by the bass though, and the LCD2 had more slam than what is typically a more tonal bass in an ortho, so I guess in that regard it didn't sound a whole lot like a classic ortho also!

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5,603 of 9,207

Thanks for the input, would the BHA-1 be an upgrade from the Lyr?

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5,604 of 9,207
Quote:

You may want to watch the for sale area here and on Audiogon. With the new Taboo out, there will be some MK II's available for a good value. Great little amp.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,605 of 9,207
Quote:
You may want to watch the for sale area here and on Audiogon. With the new Taboo out, there will be some MK II's available for a good value. Great little amp.

I see you have the CSP2+, how much of a step up is the Taboo? That Taboo MKIII is one awesome looking amp and I hear they sound great.

As for the BHA-1 I would def consider it if I could hear more impressions. Is it just fantastic with the LCD-2s or is it great in general etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back