Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #5,551 of 9,207
Ok, I understand that loudness does that always mean driven better, but shouldn't the LCD-2 be a bit quieter at the same level on the volume knob that I use for HD600's?
Also, that amp from TABOO is looking so delicious lol.  $1500?  I could probably save that up... sell my magni... skip the DAC for now... oh damn... my wallet...

What do you guys think about their claim about it being the best amp for LCD-2?

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #5,552 of 9,207
Quote:
Ok, I understand that loudness does that always mean driven better, but shouldn't the LCD-2 be a bit quieter at the same level on the volume knob that I use for HD600's?
Also, that amp from TABOO is looking so delicious lol.  $1500?  I could probably save that up... sell my magni... skip the DAC for now... oh damn... my wallet...

What do you guys think about their claim about it being the best amp for LCD-2?

Steve is a heck of an engineer. He also has justifiable pride in his work. His goal was an all out attempt on the best he could build for the LCD-2's. Given his other products terrific capabilities, it is a sure bet this will be a major amp. Versatile too considering the tube rolling,multiple SE or Balanced outputs and built in pre-amp. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5,553 of 9,207
The best SS headphone amp I have heard with LCD-2 is C.E.C HD 53N.
I also like the headphone output of the great Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold DAC.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5,555 of 9,207
Done some more testing. Holographic Audio Ear One certainly share a lot in common with the Goldpoint Headphone Pro. Here in Sweden the Ear One is a better deal though. It has pre out, balanced XLR in if you have such a DAC , crossfeed and impedance switch for less money then importing a GHP. Have no high impedance headphones to try with but that isn´t the forte of the GHP as I felt :)

Great transparent solid state amp with superb clarity.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5,559 of 9,207
Quote:
Well, that's a good reason to spend my money!

I'm always willing to help other people spend their money! 
tongue.gif

Seriously though. From all I've read, they are fantastic Amps. Lots of Bass and smooth detailed highs. Power for days... I needed something I can lug around and "The Conductor" is perfect for that. Just need my laptop,  the Amp and a USB cable and I'm good to go. Anyway, for my purposes it's seems like it's going to be the best DAC/Amp that I'm going to find. There are several reviews on Burson's Website for the Soloist if you are interested in doing some more research. 

I have never heard a Woo, but I know those have a great reputation too. The Lyrs are on backorder right now, so you'd have to wait a week to ten days before they would ship one. The Burson is the only Solid State Amp on your wish list but as Solid States go, they Burson's are said to have a very Tubey sound for a Solid State. It's also got the extreme BALLS that a solid state amp brings. Great Bass with lots of control. 
So for me, the convenience and reliability (and BASS) of a good solid state won me over. Any of those three Amps would be great though. You have certainly done your homework. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #5,560 of 9,207
Quote:
So I've narrowed my choices down to the Schiit Lyr, Burson Soloist-SL, and Woo WA6. What should I get?

You should look to the Violectric V200 too :D

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #5,561 of 9,207
baby soloist or lyr, unless you're looking at the WA6-SE, the WA6 won't be as good with the LCD-2

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #5,562 of 9,207
Quote:
Thank you for the DAC recommendations.
How is the HRT II+ so good while still being tiny?  Does that mean all the other DACs that are huge are just a bunch of fluff?

Anyways... running a HD600 off my magni, I turned the knob to 9 o'clock.
With the LCD-2's I turn it to 9.25 o'clock.
I thought the LCD-2 was a lot harder to drive than the 600's?
Could anyone explain this?

I have no idea.. their product documentation is rather vague on Amazon as well. Most DAC's I have found to be a bunch of fluff.

I really liked the Burson Soloist after I listened to it, I think it pretty much is neck and neck with the Mjolnir. It's a tricky market.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5,565 of 9,207
Quote:
Decware Taboo MKIII, Christmas in May +1. I can't wait to lay my grubby paws on that object of beauty!!!

I will to see one Wednesday when I am at Decware. Mine should be done in May as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back