Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #5,326 of 9,207
Quote:
However, I don´t have much knowledge about tube amplifiers 
confused_face.gif
. I wish I could buy them all!! lol. 

You have discovered the closely held secret of Head-Fi! They will be coming for you now....
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #5,327 of 9,207
I couldn't recommend buying the WA2 to use with LCD2.
Mine doesn't work great with the audeze.
Ive read other people have more luck.  I think its tube dependent.
The WA2's power lies in the higher impedance headphones.
With something like 600 ohm beyers or the Sennheiser 650s heck yes the WA2 sounds fantastic.
and the very good preamp it doubles as is a huge bonus.

its just not ideal for the LCD2

But the 6SE is very with them.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #5,329 of 9,207
Quote:
the ODAC is adaptive and has world class numbers....things like the HRT Technologies MSii+ use the asynchronous design... I cant tell any difference between the two.

when i hear things like 'there are better' this can mean its built like a tank and or has great performance....and great specs.

some folks will spend a $1000 on an amp and think that they need to spend another $1000 on a DAC....regardless of the technology....

the real point to this dribble is that for the dac to perform well and have world class specs and performance it has to be layed out physically very, very well on the circuit
board etc...

The ODAC does this very well and is the 'older' technology....

Alex

Well Alex,

You just keep on using your ODAC I'm sure your happy with it.  I on the other hand like the asynchronous technology.  It's a natural progression, plus I was just sharing my opinion. 

Also I never said one was better than the other now did I?  I said there is better out there.  That's a true statement.  The question wasn't about circuit board design, it was specifically about the Adaptive / Asynchronous technologies. 

We all have the choice to take it or leave it.  I'll take it.  Thank you.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5,330 of 9,207
Is the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II good? As I said previously, I'm thinking of getting the V200 or the Soloist and I don't know which DAC to get.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,331 of 9,207
Any recommendation of a good DAC for the Mjolnir or soloist? is the Schiit Modi or bifrost good enough? thanks!

The Modi really holds back the LCD2/Mjolnir combination. The Modi is terrific for what it is, an entry-level DAC, but it's flaws and limitations are very apparent out of the LCD2/Mjolnir. The Gungnir is worth the extra money if you can swing it and *perfectly* matched to the Mjolnir.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #5,332 of 9,207
Yup , me too wish I could have several, actually over time I went thru 6 amps or so,,,buy , try...sell...finally got the O2 and got a second, one store bought from JDSLabs.

So far the amps that really impressed me that are in what I would call 'affordable' for the LCD2's are the O2, V200, Burson HA160, and the WA6-SE.........

Sonically to me the O2 is no slouch, but the others are built better etc...bigger, mechanically etc....but sonically they all are pretty good.

Alex

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #5,333 of 9,207
Quote:

Sonically to me the O2 is no slouch, but the others are built better etc...bigger, mechanically etc....but sonically they all are pretty good.

Alex

Are they sonically the exact same? 
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #5,335 of 9,207
Quote:
Is the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II good? As I said previously, I'm thinking of getting the V200 or the Soloist and I don't know which DAC to get.

The v-dac is a quality product that won't disappoint you. I have the Wyred For Sound uDac and I love that it's made in the USA. It's not the DAC-2 but it's designed by the same person and gets the same warranty. Look at all the inputs on the udac. I use mine almost like a pre-amp, as i have my Computer, CD player and TV hooked up to it and can switch between each with the flip of a switch. Also see the mpre, ill post a link.  It's $1099- but it looks very useful, something you could use for a long time. Just read the stats.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/618197

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/category/74030/117839/18157

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5,336 of 9,207
I dont really care if the dac is asynchronous or adaptive...as long as it does its job very well and there are dacs of both technologies that do this very well.

Old, new. natural progression ...dont really care....just do it well....

Its your money and choice for sure....

All the best
Alex
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #5,337 of 9,207
Quote:
Boy..thats a loaded question...

To me you can blind testing and I would have a very hard time telling them apart....

now what?

Alex

Not really at all.

So yes, they do sound the same.

Nothing.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #5,339 of 9,207
Quote:

I have the V-DAC with the Soloist and it's a great combo.  I'm actually getting the VDAC MKII and V-PSU II today, so I'll have to post some impressions on the difference between the original with Pangea PSU vs. the MKII with VPSU.  I upgraded mainly because the original didn't have 24bit 192 asynchronous capability....so if it sounds the same, I'll still be happy because I really love the sound of the original v-dac.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #5,340 of 9,207
I absolutely agree with you, pp312. People who really have been in real concert hall to listen to classical music will never associate brightness with classical music. Real concert hall sound is dark. Bass and mids are predominant while highs are subject to substantial roll-off. I suspect those who claim LCD2 are not good with classical music are those casual classical music listeners. Before they have a real concert hall experience, they feel classical music is all about huge soundstage and spiking highs from violins. At least, I still remember my first concert hall experience really makes me stunned. That's the time I feel my HD650 really lacks the real life bass.
Quote:
. So why are so many people insisting the LCD-2 is not at its best with classical? Those same people also tend to say that brighter phones are better for classical, but why? I don't associate classical with brightness, and the systems of most of the classical lovers I know are anything but bright. In fact I'd associate the need for a healthy treble output more with certain popular genres. So it's all a bit of a mystery to me, and not the only one on Head-Fi either.
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back