Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 26, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #4,756 of 9,207
Quote:
Audeze are sending me an LCD-2 to review, however I fear my personal setup (Little dot MK II + Schiit Lyr) will be unable to fully drive the LCD-2s, I think I should be fine, however I'm able to borrow a few amplifiers to assist in the review.
I'll be using the LCD-2 on as much setups as I can, however, out of the EF-5, WA6 and Schiit Lyr, which would you recommend?

Cheers.

I’d at least have an SS in the mix.

May 26, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #4,757 of 9,207
Quote:
Audeze are sending me an LCD-2 to review, however I fear my personal setup (Little dot MK II + Schiit Lyr) will be unable to fully drive the LCD-2s, I think I should be fine, however I'm able to borrow a few amplifiers to assist in the review.
I'll be using the LCD-2 on as much setups as I can, however, out of the EF-5, WA6 and Schiit Lyr, which would you recommend?

Cheers.

You're the reviewer, so listen to all three and compare and contrast for us
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #4,759 of 9,207
Quote:
You're the reviewer, so listen to all three and compare and contrast for us
popcorn.gif

I'll definitely be trying them all! As Capone pointed out, I might not be able to get my hands on an SS amplifier in time for the review, but I may be able to scrape something up at the last second, I've always preferred tube amplifiers however, the sonic differences I find to be negligible when compared to SS but it's the experience I enjoy.

I've also just had a thought, I've not been sent products from overseas before, will I have to pay custom VAT if they're a review sample? I hope not, having to fork out $250 just to review them.

May 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #4,760 of 9,207
Quote:

I'll definitely be trying them all! As Capone pointed out, I might not be able to get my hands on an SS amplifier in time for the review, but I may be able to scrape something up at the last second, I've always preferred tube amplifiers however, the sonic differences I find to be negligible when compared to SS but it's the experience I enjoy.

I've also just had a thought, I've not been sent products from overseas before, will I have to pay custom VAT if they're a review sample? I hope not, having to fork out $250 just to review them.

Pity you don't live closer, I may have been able to lend you my Audio-gd Master-6.
Stunning match with the LCD's

May 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #4,761 of 9,207
Quote:
I know that Srajan Ebaen over at 6moons.com is about to review the ALO Rx MKiii.  He swooned over the LCD-2s, so I imagine he will provide impressions of how the amp pairs with the LCD-2s.  His writing is usually really awful...be forewarned.

"Impenetrable" is how I would describe his writing 
biggrin.gif
  In his defense though this seems to be the popular literary style for audiophile magazine reviews.

I haven't heard an LCD-2 yet with my Master 6, but my guess is it should sound excellent given how well it powers my HE-6.

May 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #4,762 of 9,207
Quote:

"Impenetrable" is how I would describe his writing 
biggrin.gif
  In his defense though this seems to be the popular literary style for audiophile magazine reviews.

I haven't heard an LCD-2 yet with my Master 6, but my guess is it should sound excellent given how well it powers my HE-6.

Yes all trace of darkness has disappeared with my LCD's but I do have theTWAG-2 silver cable which also has a slight effect on that.

NFB-7 + Master-6 + Lcd2.2 gives a extremely dynamic,powerful and robust sound. 
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #4,764 of 9,207
Quote:
I know that Srajan Ebaen over at 6moons.com is about to review the ALO Rx MKiii.  He swooned over the LCD-2s, so I imagine he will provide impressions of how the amp pairs with the LCD-2s.  His writing is usually really awful...be forewarned.

That said, why spend that much money on a portable amp to drive the LCD-2s.  I would look for a decent tube amp or at least a stationary solid state amp instead, as I have yet to hear a portable amp that approaches the sound quality of a stationary amp.  If you are going to use the amp for portable headphone listening, then by all means spend your money on a portable.  But if it is going to be used as a stationary amp, why pay Ken Ball a fat premium because he fit a printed circuit board in a tiny box?  Get something from Decware or Woo for a little more, and you will do the LCD-2 justice.  If your budget is tight, my guess is that a Blue Circle Hat Peed Thingee with the external power supply for $750 would crush the new ALO amp. Of course, that would involve picking an amp that does not have "flavor of the month" status.

don't you think using the lcd2 balanced with the rx mk3 could at least match the abilities of some lower end desktop amps?

May 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4,767 of 9,207
Quote:
How's the Master-6 compare with the Phoenix?

Have not heard the Phoenix but according to other people that have and Kingwa the Master 5/6/8 has greater detail and dynamics and better frequency extension on both ends.

Thats just with normal phones, the differences would be even greater with harder to drive headphones with the Master 6/8

May 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #4,768 of 9,207
So does the majority here feel that the LCDs sound better with a Tube amp opposed to a SS amp?

Perhaps a good idea for a poll/thread?

Tubes here btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back