Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #3,766 of 9,207

Quote:
Skylab, comparing Lyr to Meier Concerto..... Can you tell us about it ?

It's pretty tough, since I haven't had the Concerto in quite a while.  The Concerto has less power and is slightly brighter sounding, of that I am certain.  They are pretty different.  Plus since the Concerto is no longer available, I'm not sure it's the most instructive comparison...

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #3,767 of 9,207
I'm just wondering if I move from Concerto to Lyr would be an upgrade or a sidegrade....

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3,768 of 9,207

Quote:
The Lyr is more than brute force...

How do you find it in comparison to your vintage receivers with the LCD-2's?

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #3,769 of 9,207
Roughly equal footing with some, slightly below others. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3,770 of 9,207

Quote:
Skylab, comparing Lyr to Meier Concerto..... Can you tell us about it ?

Just my 2 cents...with my LCD-2s, I'd take the Lyr any day of the week over the Concerto (which I did like very much with the LCD-2s).

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #3,771 of 9,207
Just my 2 cents...with my LCD-2s, I'd take the Lyr any day of the week over the Concerto (which I did like very much with the LCD-2s).

I agree with you. I would recommend the concerto if you want to hear as much detail being pushed to you, but I prefer the lyr as they sound much more powerful, dynamic and "live"

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,772 of 9,207

Quote:
I agree with you. I would recommend the concerto if you want to hear as much detail being pushed to you, but I prefer the lyr as they sound much more powerful, dynamic and "live"

I found more details with my Lyr/LCD-2 over my Concerto....could be the extra power into these orthos? For my T1s or HD800s, it was a toss up between the two amps. BTW, I no longer own my Concerto.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #3,773 of 9,207
My thanx to both of you ! I didn't have the opportunity to listen to Lyr and it's nice to read comparisons about them...:D

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #3,774 of 9,207
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone tried or own the Red Wine Audio Audez’e Edition Headphone System and if so what were your impressions?

I tried looking on the forum but couldn't find a discussion topic, I just ordered one and I'm looking forward to receive it, I guess I will start a owner thread when it gets here next week but in the mean time would love some other members impressions
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #3,775 of 9,207
I have one in for review, and in a few days of listening, my impressions so far are pretty favorable. That said, it's an expensive piece of kit, so it will get some pretty thorough scrutiny as the review process continues. Unquestionably good sounding though.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #3,776 of 9,207
Yeah at that price it better be "good sounding", that being said:

Quote:
The best your LCD-2's have ever sounded, or your money back!

Is a bold statement so I guess if that's not the case I can just return it
biggrin.gif
However I do know by experience RWA gear benefit a lot from burn-in so I guess you will need to put +200 hours on the beast before it sounds it's best.

Let's wait and see, I'm looking forward to your review but so far is it really the best your LCD-2 sounded?

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #3,777 of 9,207

Quote:
Let's wait and see, I'm looking forward to your review but so far is it really the best your LCD-2 sounded?

I'm definitely not ready to say that yet.  Just getting started listening to it.  And reviewing a product like this is tough because it includes a DAC, and can't be used without the built in DAC, so I have to get used to the sound if both source and amp.  I will end up sending the output of the DAC to the Leben so I can compare how the Leben sounds with the RWA AE DAC versus the AE's own amp.  This will take time.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #3,778 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm definitely not ready to say that yet.  Just getting started listening to it.  And reviewing a product like this is tough because it includes a DAC, and can't be used without the built in DAC, so I have to get used to the sound if both source and amp.  I will end up sending the output of the DAC to the Leben so I can compare how the Leben sounds with the RWA AE DAC versus the AE's own amp.  This will take time.

Have you (or someone else here for that matter) heard the LCD2 with the older Leben CS300 version? Not quite as much power, and the internals are supposed to be not quite as good as in the CS300XS, but I guess it's no slouch anyway?

Edit:
Well, you apparently have one of those as well... have you written down a good comparison between the two in general, and with the LCD2 specifically? So I know if it's any idea to go looking for it :)

Difficult question perhaps, but how much would you consider the CS300 to be worth as a dedicated LCD2 amp? As in, if I find one, what would be a good price? Or should I just wait for a CS300XS?

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3,779 of 9,207
So are you guys not feeling the 160D and LCD2s?

I know someone here lightly touched upon that, but I didn't know if it was a consensous or not.

I don't have the LCD2s, but plan on buying a 160D here in the next couple of months.

I'm not looking into tube or tube/hybrid amps.  I want to try solid state for once.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #3,780 of 9,207

Have you (or someone else here for that matter) heard the LCD2 with the older Leben CS300 version? Not quite as much power, and the internals are supposed to be not quite as good as in the CS300XS, but I guess it's no slouch anyway?

Edit:
Well, you apparently have one of those as well... have you written down a good comparison between the two in general, and with the LCD2 specifically? So I know if it's any idea to go looking for it :)

Difficult question perhaps, but how much would you consider the CS300 to be worth as a dedicated LCD2 amp? As in, if I find one, what would be a good price? Or should I just wait for a CS300XS?

According to Leben, for headphones the difference between the CS300 and CS300XS should be minimal to non existent, and in m own testing between the two units I found very little difference, and what difference was there could certainly just have been due to the different tubes I was using, not having two sets of identical tubes. I was convinced enough for myself that I sold the XS and kept the CS300, which gets used primarily with my Sony R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back