Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #3,751 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks.  I've seen a lot of chatter about  the Siemens tubes for the Lyr but being a tube novice  I lost track.  

I've tried them too and they are great tubes, but pricey. I also really like the Mullard CV2492 and Genalex Gold Lion E88CC.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3,752 of 9,207

Quote:
I've tried them too and they are great tubes, but pricey. I also really like the Mullard CV2492 and Genalex Gold Lion E88CC.

This is why I am shy and hesitant.  Are there big differences in performance parameters with these different tubes or is it all subtle variations?  I'm not too concerned about the price as long as it's optimal.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3,753 of 9,207
WA, I use these sites to cross reference the recommendation of others:

Joe's Tube Lore
Brent Jessee Recording
Tubeworld

A lot to wade through but you'll get a sense of where great value may be found (sourced elsewhere) like RCA branded Siemens, as well as the exotic tubes people sell their souls for.

I've only heard a handful of tubes but my favourite at the moment is 70's Amperex A-frame Orange Globes. Quite balanced across the spectrum, but with weight and extension in the low end. It has the widest soundstage of the tubes I have on hand, but details may be a tad too forward for some. I initially thought imaging was fantastic with these tubes, but I now feel certain queues are exaggerated and while it doesn't degenerate into soup, the overall presentation is not as coherent as the Bugle Boys.

The other tubes I like are 60's Amperex Bugle Boys. It shares the same signature as the Orange Globes, but the low end isn't as heavy, although I find it has more "air" and ambience, with vocals that isolate better and seem more natural to my ears. Soundstage isn't as wide, but it seems to extend deeper.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #3,754 of 9,207
I think you should audition the Lyr with the stock tubes before getting too worried about tube rolling. The first stock tubes they shipped with were far from optimal but without reading into it, I think the tubes they are currently offering are a lot more favorable.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3,755 of 9,207

Quote:
WA, I use these sites to cross reference the recommendation of others:

Joe's Tube Lore
Brent Jessee Recording
Tubeworld

A lot to wade through but you'll get a sense of where great value may be found (sourced elsewhere) like RCA branded Siemens, as well as the exotic tubes people sell their souls for.

I've only heard a handful of tubes but my favourite at the moment is 70's Amperex A-frame Orange Globes. Quite balanced across the spectrum, but with weight and extension in the low end. It has the widest soundstage of the tubes I have on hand, but details may be a tad too forward for some. I initially thought imaging was fantastic with these tubes, but I now feel certain queues are exaggerated and while it doesn't degenerate into soup, the overall presentation is not as coherent as the Bugle Boys.

The other tubes I like are 60's Amperex Bugle Boys. It shares the same signature as the Orange Globes, but the low end isn't as heavy, although I find it has more "air" and ambience, with vocals that isolate better and seem more natural to my ears. Soundstage isn't as wide, but it seems to extend deeper.

Thanks, I'l give the all a read.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3,756 of 9,207

Quote:
I think you should audition the Lyr with the stock tubes before getting too worried about tube rolling. The first stock tubes they shipped with were far from optimal but without reading into it, I think the tubes they are currently offering are a lot more favorable.

I think it was original stock tube period that I stopped reading the rolling thread on a post to post basis so that's good to hear.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #3,757 of 9,207
I know I've babbled on about getting a tube amp before but I'm slow to choose.

so far here are my considerations.

Lyr
Woo WA2
Woo WA SE6
Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2
Mini Torii

Red Wines's Corvina is intriguing.  

I'm only going to be getting one tube amp to compliment the Solid stat side of my rig so...

With the Lyr I'm more confused than with the other amps.  All I read about is the power it has but never seem to read anything about it's other abilities.  I'm wondering if it's more brute force than finesse.

The WA2 is supposed to have that classic tube sound but of high quality reproduction.  More smooth than finely detailed

The WA SE 6   is supposed to have a more detailed presentation than the WA2.  Both have been said to have a good soundstage, with the 6SE having more dynamic control.

Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2, is not yet available in this r, hails from South Korea, comes from a reputable high end company, was recently reviewed here on Head -fi.   Is intriguing.

The Corvina ha yet to be heard but might be worth the wait.  Not sure if the balanced option will be superior to the SE and would have to wait for a real review to at least shed some light on wether the SE and Balanced options sound the same or if one of superior to the other.

Then there is the Mini Torii.  So intriguing because it can also power small speakers but is a forest of tubes.

Of course my descriptions are more like questions about thee amps because I haven't heard any of them and have to go by the large amount of posts I've read....

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #3,758 of 9,207
I'm waiting on the Corvina as well. I'm considering going balanced but I don't quite understand the lack of balanced inputs for it. I get that with a balanced amp you get "moar power", but isn't a balanced source required to get the most from it?

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,760 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm waiting on the Corvina as well. I'm considering going balanced but I don't quite understand the lack of balanced inputs for it. I get that with a balanced amp you get "moar power", but isn't a balanced source required to get the most from it?

I'd rather see a balanced in and balanced out for the Corvina also.  Then I could go balanced out of my DAC-2 in it.

I've never been one to prefer that piece of gear look a certain way.    Usually I get something , plug it in and only look at it to turn the knob, maybe. But I find myself wanting the tube amp look nice.  So far the Woo's look the nicest.  Although the Mini Torii with it's forest of tubes sure looks tube impressive.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,761 of 9,207
One more recommendation for the Meier concerto and stagedac pair, though I'm currently using a lyr and woo wa5.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #3,763 of 9,207
The Lyr is more than brute force.  This is what has impressed me.  Nicely nuanced and detailed, especially given its price.  It's very easy to recommend because it truly punches above its weight class, IMO.  If the LCD-2 were the only headphone to be considered, I would recommend it ahead of the WA6 for sure (I have never tried the 6SE).  Maybe even over the WA2 - hard to say for me, as I don't have it anymore.  But the Lyr really does a remarkably good job with the LCD-2.  I have been very impressed.  It's considerably better sounding than I recall the Valhalla being, and plenty of power to drive the LCD-2 well.  Make no mistake - power matters for the LCD-2.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #3,764 of 9,207
Skylab, comparing Lyr to Meier Concerto..... Can you tell us about it ?

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #3,765 of 9,207

Quote:
The Lyr is more than brute force.  This is what has impressed me.  Nicely nuanced and detailed, especially given its price.  It's very easy to recommend because it truly punches above its weight class, IMO.  If the LCD-2 were the only headphone to be considered, I would recommend it ahead of the WA6 for sure (I have never tried the 6SE).  Maybe even over the WA2 - hard to say for me, as I don't have it anymore.  But the Lyr really does a remarkably good job with the LCD-2.  I have been very impressed.  It's considerably better sounding than I recall the Valhalla being, and plenty of power to drive the LCD-2 well.  Make no mistake - power matters for the LCD-2.

Thanks, that's good to know. The price of the Lyr makes it very compelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back