Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 11, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #3,586 of 9,207
anyone tried the new ALO continental with their LCD 2's yet?  I thought i read somewhere that they are supposed to be a suprisingly good match.  I'd love to hear how that amp stacks up against the desktops

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #3,587 of 9,207

Quote:
warriorAnt, the Trafomatic can be preamp or headphone amp, but won't drive speakers. Indeed, the Mini Torii can drive speakers used near field very nicely, as long as they are fairly efficient.

Which is why the Mini Torii will be perfect for my small apartment.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3,589 of 9,207
Finally made it to the end of this thread.  I will be starting out with a CEntrance DacMini and have my LCD-2 on their way.  I am good at DIY, so I will probably build a B22 down the line.  Thanks so much to all the contributors - this has been very informative.

Are there any mini meets in SoCal?  I will check out the regional part of the forum...

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #3,590 of 9,207

The Dacmini sounds great with the LCD2's.

Quote:
Finally made it to the end of this thread.  I will be starting out with a CEntrance DacMini and have my LCD-2 on their way.  I am good at DIY, so I will probably build a B22 down the line.  Thanks so much to all the contributors - this has been very informative.

Are there any mini meets in SoCal?  I will check out the regional part of the forum...

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #3,592 of 9,207
x2 Great sound at a great price plus the guys at CEntrance were great with questions and fast responses. With the LCD-2's it seems the music comes alive. To me, the combo sounds very neutral, looking for a tube amp in the future so as to get a little warmth to compliment the sound signature of the Dacmini.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #3,596 of 9,207
I've almost decided to get the Apex Peak/Volcano to go with the LCD-2 I purchase. Is the fact that the Apex Peak connects to a DAC via RCA a bad thing and would it be better to have XLR connections?

I'll also get a 3m Q-Audio cable for them after reading a few positive reviews.

Will it be okay to use my AV Receiver (Sony STR-DE495) as my DAC for now?  So my setup will go PC SPDIF out > Coax Cable > Receiver > Apex Peak/Volcano > Q-Audio 3m Cable > Audeze LCD-2
Will this setup work okay until I get a good DAC.

Todd from TTVJ suggested I get the Lavry DA11 but I feel as though I would be wasting money since I won't be using the inbuilt headphone amp.
Would the Audio-GD Reference 7 be a good addition to my setup? Will it be a waste of money since it's balanced, while the Peak is unbalanced? Can anyone recommend a good DAC to go with my setup?

The Audio GD Pheonix looks like a good balanced amp. Would this be better money spent over the Apex Peak/Volcano?

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #3,597 of 9,207
The issue is not that it only has RCA connections, the issue is that this is a SE amp - not a ballanced amp.  I think it is this thread that that has come up a lot.  The same is true of the LF and RWA dedicated LCD-2 HPA, leben, etc (so it had to have been this thread that it's come up in).  So there are a lot of crazy high end amps that are SE and a lot of notable poeple on this thread who have recently added that they see no benifit in going ballanced.  I have a ballanced DAC that I use with my peak (single ended obvioiusly) and I admit I wanted to go ballanced myself but this thread helped me stay where I was.  Going fully ballanced I think would basically increase the cost of the same amp by about 100%?

The pheonix is also pretty awesome but poeple usually want a SS OR tube amp.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #3,600 of 9,207
From my experience, I do not think the LCD-2 is a headphone that benefits much from going balanced. You're better off saving your money because a good SE amp will do just as good. I would only go balanced if using a headphone like HD650 or if you are just very curious and like to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back