Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3,528 of 9,207
I'm looking forward to trying the Burson HA-160D with the LCD-2 this coming week, as part of Headfonia/Burson's HA-160D loaner program (thanks guys), especially to give me some context for comparison with the Lavry DA10, which does a superb job of revealing what's on recordings with the LCD-2.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,529 of 9,207
I'm looking for a DAC amp combo (separate units or integrated) for $600 or less.

Has anyone tried & have feedback (ideally comparative) on the following?

1) HRT Music Streamer ii+ ---> Schitt Asgard
2) Musical Fidelity V-DAC ---> Schitt Asgard
3) Nuforce HDP

Welcome/looking for other recommendations as well.  Thanks!

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #3,530 of 9,207
This one from PS Audio is class A, and it has a USB input. I don't know how good the DAC is, but it looks like a heck of an amp for $500, which is half off:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7416-ps-audio-gcha-headphone-amp.aspx

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,531 of 9,207

Quote:
This one from PS Audio is class A, and it has a USB input. I don't know how good the DAC is, but it looks like a heck of an amp for $500, which is half off:

The DAC sux, but the amp is great!  The DAC is ok for a starter, but the amp really comes alive with a good DAC.  The amp puts out over 2W per channel.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #3,532 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm looking for a DAC amp combo (separate units or integrated) for $600 or less.

3) Nuforce HDP

I personally do not like the HDP or the HRT Music Streamer.  YMMV.  The Asgard is a good amp for the money.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #3,533 of 9,207

Quote:

Quote:
The DAC sux, but the amp is great!  The DAC is ok for a starter, but the amp really comes alive with a good DAC.  The amp puts out over 2W per channel.

@grokit

I agree with kwkarth, that in general - as a USB DAC - the performance of the GCHA is less than stellar.  I'll be able to comment on the amp late next week when I hope to receive a new pair of LCD-2s.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #3,534 of 9,207

Quote:

3) Nuforce HDP

Quote:

Then I would get the GCHA if I was rfdblue, as it sounds like the best amp in his price range. The DAC in it would still be an improvement compared to a computer's built-in soundcard, and could be upgraded at a later date.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #3,535 of 9,207
Well i have used the LCD2 though a Audio-GD Phoenix completely balanced from Source (MPS5) to the LCD2. I expected this to be the ultimate system.....

And i now use the LCD2 single ended through an Accuphase integrated with its included DAC.

Lets just say that i now believe that there's no Balanced vs Single ended argument to have, just better sounding equipment.

Cheers
Xav

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #3,536 of 9,207
Quote:
No published specs, but it'll comfortably do 2W in Class A into 50 ohms.

You should hit up equus, he is looking to sell his Stacker2. Honestly, I think that stacker sounds better than the Stacker2 I have here. 

Aye aye sir, contacting Equus straight away ...

Quote:
EDIT - and yeah, I'll probably sell the Stacker I have at or after the meet.  I love it, but I can't really justify storing it when I know that I'll either probably never be motivated to pull it out since I have the Liquid Fire, and I ever feel interested in doing so, I'll probably be too lazy to pull it out. 
confused_face.gif

Please remember to contact me when you want to sell your Stacker 2 
wink_face.gif

And btw side story, I listen to Monitor Audio RX-8 with Yaqin (16 wpc) tube amp, can't remember the model number, it's verrrryyyy niiiceeee, it reminds me a lot like my LCD2 + Leben combination except that I cannot blast the volume at nite.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3,539 of 9,207

Thanks, all.  GCHA sounds very promising.  Has anyone tried the GCHA with the LCD-2?  And if yes, DAC recos, ideally in the ~$250 range?  

Also, I forgot to mention I was considering the Matrix M-Stage.  Anyone used this with LCD-2?

Quote:

Then I would get the GCHA if I was rfdblue, as it sounds like the best amp in his price range. The DAC in it would still be an improvement compared to a computer's built-in soundcard, and could be upgraded at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back