Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2,702 of 9,207
Ah, yes.  Timely reference.  
smile.gif

Goodthinkful.

:¬)

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,703 of 9,207

Quote:
Nope, language has been simplified over the ages. For instance, dutch is a descendant of the gothic language. Gothic featured eight (!) "naamvallen" (i'm sorry, I don't know the english term for this, eight different varieties of the nominative, accusative, genitive etc. to signify stuff). Which is absolutely ludicrious when compared to modern day dutch which features... two. Language has been simplified over the course of ages and this is likely to continue. Words like "the" and "a" are meaningless and and therefore superfluous, they will propably disapear over time.

I understand what you're saying, but I feel there's a rather significant difference between the in-formalization and familiarization that you're referring to as opposed to the lazy and degenerate misuse of the english language that is so prevalent today.  A prime example of what I'm referring to is the illiterate misuse of "their," "there," and "they're," or the misuse of "your" and "you're," or "to," "too," and "two." 

Cheers!

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,704 of 9,207
Whether formal languages are evolving into something more efficient or just degrading in effectiveness is up for debate, but it was entirely predictable. My rhetorical discourse professor was lamenting this back in the 80's, decrying the influence of pop culture. He predicted that the advent of electronic communications (email was a new concept then) would accelerate the problem and it has. His main focus was efficiency in written communications, so it's not like he was opposed to shortening things up.

Has anyone noticed how formal and sophisticated spoken English is in modern movies depicting the old west, like the Deadwood series and the new True Grit film? This "de-evolution" of language has been going on for some time, ironically as literacy rates continue to rise.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,705 of 9,207
So hey, how about those LCD-2s guys?

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2,706 of 9,207

Quote:
Whether formal languages are evolving into something more efficient or just degrading in effectiveness is up for debate, but it was entirely predictable. My rhetorical discourse professor was lamenting this back in the 80's, decrying the influence of pop culture. He predicted that the advent of electronic communications (email was a new concept then) would accelerate the problem and it has. His main focus was efficiency in written communications, so it's not like he was opposed to shortening things up.

Has anyone noticed how formal and sophisticated spoken English is in modern movies depicting the old west, like the Deadwood series and the new True Grit film? This "de-evolution" of language has been going on for some time, ironically as literacy rates continue to rise.

Where is literacy on the rise?

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #2,707 of 9,207

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I feel there's a rather significant difference between the in-formalization and familiarization that you're referring to as opposed to the lazy and degenerate misuse of the english language that is so prevalent today.  A prime example of what I'm referring to is the illiterate misuse of "their," "there," and "they're," or the misuse of "your" and "you're," or "to," "too," and "two." 

Cheers!

Ok, we've been talking about two different things then. The bad spelling is mostly an internet problem, at least, that's the way I see it. People just do not care about their spelling when behind a pc, whereas they don't make any mistakes on tests at school where spelling is an important factor. It's the whole "word will correct me anyway" mindset.

As for the LCD 2's, I graduated from highschool (well, the dutch equivalent) two days ago, so I'm working full-time to get my fundings together before I board university somewhere in September.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2,708 of 9,207

Quote:
Ok, we've been talking about two different things then. The bad spelling is mostly an internet problem, at least, that's the way I see it. People just do not care about their spelling when behind a pc, whereas they don't make any mistakes on tests at school where spelling is an important factor. It's the whole "word will correct me anyway" mindset.

As for the LCD 2's, I graduated from highschool (well, the dutch equivalent) two days ago, so I'm working full-time to get my fundings together before I board university somewhere in September.

Congratulations!

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #2,709 of 9,207

Quote:
Where is literacy on the rise?

Virtually everywhere, but here's the USA with a huge increase between 1870 and 1979:

http://nces.ed.gov/naal/lit_history.asp#illiteracy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy#History

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #2,710 of 9,207
Eek, two pages of discussion on grammar because I made a tongue-in-cheek remark! Yikes, I've derailed this whole thread. I confess, Officer, take me away.

I guess ultimately it's a question of priorities. The man I most admire in history is the Marquis who was given his death warrant to read while standing on the guillotine waiting for the chop. He looked at it leisurely for a few moments and said, "I see that you have made three spelling errors." Now there's a man after my own heart.  

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,712 of 9,207
Since there has been a derailment complaint, I won't continue with the grammar/spelling/punctuation &etc. (btw things like "&etc." and "OK" are shorthand and not necessarily errors). Plus, I don't want anybody fly-specking my posts-- that might prove embarrassing! That being said, I have to admit that I spelled "judgment" wrong for 20+ years until One L. 
redface.gif

Quote:

Wow, I've been misspelling "judgemental" for a long time 
redface.gif

But I'm okay with OK 
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,713 of 9,207

Down to 2 choices. Almost bought a used wa22 before I read you need a balanced dac to take full advantage. I just got the Anedio D1 so that's out. So now it's down to 2. BUT the liquid fire is taking pre-orders for the 2nd run and haven't yet shipped the first, which means significant wait time. Plus it's a thousand more than the other 2. 

So it's looking like the Peak/Volcano is the winner. The reviews are great, and it's said to pair well with LCD-2. What I'm not sure of is whether or not it pairs well with the D1.
Has anyone try this pairing?

Quote:
 Down to 3 choices for my new desktop amp. Peak/Volcano, WA22, or the Liquid fire. Decisions, decisions. I've heard none by the way, this is all based on reviews. I like a more thick bottom end. I'm using the sr-71A with my D1 right now. I still like the Ray Samuels sound, but the D1 is quite neutral, and I think I need at least a hybrid if not a full tube amp in the chain. I like resolution and treble extension to a degree, but am more a fan of rolled off, oops, excuse me, recessed highs. I find the lcd-2 to have plenty of treble and mids for my tastes. Probably ALO copper/silver on the cable. Any suggestions?  

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #2,714 of 9,207
Ordered the Peak/Volcano and Shuguang tube upgrade. Looking forward to learning about tube rolling. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2,715 of 9,207
I would have left the Shuguang tube behind.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back