Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,626 of 9,207

Quote:
oh wow, so they've changed DAC setups.  I'm guessing they're no longer using the R2R that was giving them their famous sound?  But I guess I should have looked at their site one last time before I posted. 

The switch part is unusual though.  Though  AVS (or AVA I don't remember) had an internal jumper on their original DAC.

So you're saying that neither of the 16-bit redbook options on the Pro are the same as the original Isabellina's 16-bit conversion?

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2,627 of 9,207
I don't know.  I've been looking at thier web page and it looks like at least the 16bit is the same - it would be logical for the whole solution to be the same from an engineering and production aspect but their DAC implementationis a complex, hardware intensive one and it seems like it would be a challenge to just make it also 24 bit.  Unlike using a Saber chip they have to add all the extra external circuitry to support the extra 8 bits which seem like a challenging update.  Though RWA has always been secretive about their DAC.  It's pretty impressive that they can fit that DAC, the HPA, P/S, battery, etc in that little package AND have it balanced!!??  Seems too good to be true - but it still costs more than my peak/volcano and audio-gd DAC so it's out of my reach.  I'm hoping to finally get to hear a leben next weekend and after that RWA is next on my must audition list.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,629 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

The difference between Isabellina HPA with DAC and balanced stage versus the Audeze Edition is $450.  $450 stark?  Yes.  

I didn't see the option to add extra stuff.  I was under the assumption the HPA was an amp/dac combo already.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #2,631 of 9,207

Quote:
I don't know.  I've been looking at thier web page and it looks like at least the 16bit is the same - it would be logical for the whole solution to be the same from an engineering and production aspect but their DAC implementationis a complex, hardware intensive one and it seems like it would be a challenge to just make it also 24 bit.  Unlike using a Saber chip they have to add all the extra external circuitry to support the extra 8 bits which seem like a challenging update.  Though RWA has always been secretive about their DAC.  It's pretty impressive that they can fit that DAC, the HPA, P/S, battery, etc in that little package AND have it balanced!!??  Seems too good to be true - but it still costs more than my peak/volcano and audio-gd DAC so it's out of my reach.  I'm hoping to finally get to hear a leben next weekend and after that RWA is next on my must audition list.

You may be surprised that you like the Apex P/V more than the Leben. Atleast that's what I thought after listening to both of them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,633 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly when I'd heard it was battery powered.  

How illegal would it be to drive with LCD2s and the RWA/Audeze Isabellina on the passenger seat.  
evil_smiley.gif

Driving with headphones on is legal in Texas.  Yeeehaw!

But the LCD-2s are too open to road noise...   Bummer!

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,634 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

Oh.  So confusing!

I agree, they should give their website a tune-up as far as sorting out the what the product options are, and their respective prices.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2,636 of 9,207
All,

Quote:
I don't know.  I've been looking at thier web page and it looks like at least the 16bit is the same - it would be logical for the whole solution to be the same from an engineering and production aspect but their DAC implementationis a complex, 

The new Isabellina Pro dac comes standard with the Audez'e Edition amplifier.  It is our tried-and-trued Isabellina dac (with the 16-bit NOS dac, discrete, Class-A FET output stage, 3 digital inputs) - but it also has another d/a converter chip - a premium Wolfson 24-bit / 192kHz.  Yes, the board is only 3" x 3", but we also improved the layout and make the signal paths shorter and cleaner, and with the flip of a switch, you can switch between the two d/a converts (no matter if you are playing high resolution or Redbook files).  No matter which d/a converter chip is chosen, the output is fed to the tube stage, and then passes to the all-new balanced headphone output stage.  

Quote:
I agree, they should give their website a tune-up as far as sorting out the what the product options are, and their respective prices.

Regarding the options and pricing for the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition (not the Audez'e Edition), on the website you simply click the box with the option you want (or want to see pricing on), and the total price is updated. 

For the Audez'e Edition Headphone System - it includes the Audez'e LCD-2 heaphones, Audez'e Edition Amplifier, the new ALO Audio Audez'e 4-pin Balanced XLR cable. and a custom carrying case to hold everything (including the LFP battery charger).   This must be purchased from Audez'e (they will be updating their website shortly), or ALO Audio.

For those interested and already have the LCD-2s, the system (everything mentioned above except the LCD-2s since you already have them) must be purchased through Red Wine Audio.

Hope this clarifies things,

Vinnie

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2,637 of 9,207
Thanks for the update Vinnie, this is definitely a drool-worthy cutting edge package, probably the best transportable rig ever!

I didn't mean anything bad about the web site, the pages are very informative and nicely laid out but it is much easier to understand the options available when you click on the RWA Components link to expose the Components Overview summary at the top of a given page within that section. You may be better served if that overview summary was permanently exposed as you have to click on that link a second time to get to the actual overview page which is not very intuitive, especially if you are coming from a product page and not the home page. I found that page by changing the URL rather that clicking to it.

Is the case of the same style as Audeze's travel case? It would be great to see a picture of it, especially with with the gear.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,638 of 9,207
My new favorite combo with the LCD-2:

Computer w/optical 96/24 out
Foobar2000
PS Audio Digital Link III DAC (using optical)
Lyr w/IEC 6DJ8 Mullard tubes
Norse Audio 4 conductor

The LYR has never sounded better.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,639 of 9,207
I wouldn't say that I have a favorite combo per se, but I do very much enjoy listening to the LCD-2 from my Leben.  I just got my WA-5 back and really, it reminded me the magic in the midrange of a good SET amplifier.  Others have said they weren't fond of the WA-5 and the LCD-2.  I think the TRS port is under powered but the K1K port is not, unfortunately it is a little noisy but on mine you really can't hear it while the music is playing.  The Apex P/V might be my favorite listen on the LCD-2, when I really want to sit down and listen for a while.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,640 of 9,207
Hi everyone. I'm really tempted to get the LCD-2 however I don't want to spend a ton of money getting a DAC and amp. I currently own a Lisa 3 amp with the LLP power supply combo so I would be pairing the LCD2 with this amp and an Ipod Classic and CLAS as source. So I have two questions that hopefully someone can help me answering:

1. Is the Lisa 3 with the LLP capable of driving the LCD2?
2. If someone have tried this combo, is there a good sinergy between the LCD2 and the Lisa 3?

This would be my firtst full size can. I have a long history with IEM's and currently I use the Lisa 3 with my JH13 Pro and I´m waiting for the JH3A system. However I wonder how much am I missing by only using IEMS.

Thanks a lot for any help (advise) you can provide me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back