Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2,492 of 9,207

Quote:

Can someone elaborate further on their impressions of the LCD-2s and the Benchmark DAC1 Pre? I've seen comments that there was a rig at the Seattle meet with that combo that sounded good.

On paper the two seem like a good match for neutral sound: the LCD-2 with it's laid back highs and the DAC1 Pre with it's detailed brightness, but I know Benchmark has it's detractors.

[size=medium]
It sounds completely neutral and transparent, so it adds absolutely nothing to the sound and the only colouring is from the lcd-2's.
This is assuming your using the headphone amplifier built into it.
It is definitely a nice, with great build quality and features, but I think you can get the same sound for cheaper.
[/size]

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,493 of 9,207
     Quote:
He's probably speaking of the high-powered SS HPO of the DAC Pre, which features two levels of attenuation.

Yes that is what I meant, the DAC1 Pre as a DAC/amp combo, not just the DAC out.

This unit in particular appeals to me for it's analytical capabilities, but at the same time you can bypass the amp to something warmer if need be and still have the detailed DAC.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2,494 of 9,207

Quote:

[size=medium]
It sounds completely neutral and transparent, so it adds absolutely nothing to the sound and the only colouring is from the lcd-2's.
It is definitely a nice, with great build quality and features, but I think you can get the same sound for cheaper.
[/size]

Let's not get into the same conversation over here as well 
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2,495 of 9,207
[size=medium] Quote:

[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Good to hear! What units do you consider cheaper for the same sound as the DAC1 Pre?

[/size]

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2,496 of 9,207
Skylab, or anyone else with experience using speaker receivers to drive the LCD-2's.

I may be able to get a JVC R-X330V (1985 timeframe) from a friend. But trying to find information on it online is being kind of a pain. Does anyone know of this or something similar and how it would work driving the LCD-2s?

here is the unit.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2,497 of 9,207

Quote:
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Good to hear! What units do you consider cheaper for the same sound as the DAC1 Pre?

[/size]

Personally I find pretty much all dacs to sound the same so almost any moderately priced soundcard or dac with a decent feature set should be fine. (sorry if this offends anyone, remember it is just my opinion)
For the amp almost any decent solid state amp that is fairly powerful should work fine, the fiio e9, gilmore lite, CK2III and lovely cube all sound great.
The audio-gd sparrow is also great.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #2,498 of 9,207
Skylab, or anyone else with experience using speaker receivers to drive the LCD-2's.

I may be able to get a JVC R-X330V (1985 timeframe) from a friend. But trying to find information on it online is being kind of a pain. Does anyone know of this or something similar and how it would work driving the LCD-2s?

here is the unit.

It might indeed work well. You should take your LFD-2's over to your friends house and try it out :D

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2,501 of 9,207
I'm seriously considering going the vintage speaker amp route, but I'd like to hear from people who have heard both speaker amps and dedicated headphone amps. What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of each route. I'm convinced, perhaps misguidedly, that more power (current, volt, amps, not really sure) does equate to a more involving and dynamic sound. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure their are people who would be able to prove this wrong but it seems as if speaker amps can provide a certain ooomph that smaller headphones cannot. I understand that there are many factors that influence sound quality, so could someone compare the two different amp styles?

I'm really torn between something like the Burson 160, and a speaker amp. If I can get a $200 vintage speaker amp that sounds nearly as good in most ways, save $500 to go towards a really high end DAC, this seems like a really good way to enjoy the LCD2s. Any thoughts?

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,504 of 9,207
What would you guys think of the LCD2 in a portable set up:

iPhone - CLAS - Stepdance (powered with 15 volts instead of 8.4 regular batteries) ?

Would you think there would be another portable amp that could do much better? I'd really like to send in my stepdance and batterypack to someone that has the SR71B and ask for a comparison.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2,505 of 9,207

Quote:
I think i read somewhere in this thread that the Meier Concerto puts 6W at 50ohms for the LCD2's. Can someone confirm ? So the Concerto has plenty power for the audeze ?
ph34r.gif

Not even close.  More like 650mW at best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back