Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 31, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2,404 of 9,207

Quote:

Well, i love the LCD-2 type of sound (dark sound), i love rock music and i would like to take the best from my LCD-2, someone tell that LCD-2 needs a lot of power to do its best, that is what i want.
I just tried LCD-2/Burson combo, i don't know if it's the best possible combo.
I think LCD-2 will be in my home forever, and i would like the best amp to listen to.
Suggestions?
Thanks guys

Beta22 is definitely brighter than the Burson and significantly clearer and faster sounding. Burson has a better PRaT mainly contributed from its enhanced bass response (slightly more than normal) while Beta22 extends more in both ends of the frequencies.

May 31, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #2,405 of 9,207

Beta22 is definitely brighter than the Burson and significantly clearer and faster sounding. Burson has a better PRaT mainly contributed from its enhanced bass response (slightly more than normal) while Beta22 extends more in both ends of the frequencies.

What source and DAC did you use in this comparison?

Thanks.

May 31, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,406 of 9,207

Quote:
I don't think the LCD-2 is a dark sounding headphone but that's my opinion. What's your budget? 

Sorry, my english is not very good, but i love the LCD-2 type of sound (dark or not)
I had HD800 and i prefer the Audeze
My budget is about the price of the beta 22 (1200 euro)

Quote:
I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar cards, but have you tried the Burson with a different source? I was under the impression that the Burson is a good solid state option.

edit:This was intended for fra107

No, i've not tried the burson with a different source.
P.S. my xonar have 3 burson opamps installed

Quote:

Sorry, what is "PRaT"?

May 31, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,408 of 9,207
Amps don't effect Prat (they aren't turntables) unless they are absolutely awful (worse than anything I've seen sold).  I'd say the B22 is the easy choice of those.

May 31, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #2,409 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

What source and DAC did you use in this comparison?

Thanks.

The one time that I did a serious A/B between the two amplifiers I was using a CDP and If I remember right, it was an CEC TL51Z. However the Burson is a popular unit in our local headphone circle and usually turns up in local meets so I'm quite familiar with its sound signature.

I rather like it actually for the LCD2 and I thought the amplifier represents a decent value. The combo unit doesn't impress me too much as the included DAC is so-so and any proper standalone unit should beat it handily.

May 31, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2,410 of 9,207
At your budget you're looking at a 3CH B22. I've listened to Ross' (Baka1969) B22 and found it to be a relatively warm amp with a sound signature very similar to the WA6SE. It should be better than the Burson in speed, dynamics, resolution etc. Look into the WA6SE as well if you prefer a tube sound.

Quote:
Quote:

As with the HD650s, I suspect brain burn-in helps with the LCD2s.

Brain burn-in definitely helps but I didn't think they were dark to begin with unless you are comparing them to a headphone like the DT990 or ED 10 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #2,411 of 9,207
The one time that I did a serious A/B between the two amplifiers I was using a CDP and If I remember right, it was an CEC TL51Z. However the Burson is a popular unit in our local headphone circle and usually turns up in local meets so I'm quite familiar with its sound signature.

I rather like it actually for the LCD2 and I thought the amplifier represents a decent value. The combo unit doesn't impress me too much as the included DAC is so-so and any proper standalone unit should beat it handily.

Thanks for the reply. I mainly inquired because you stated such significant differences and I find it hard to consider how much better the LCD-2s could sound. If my headphone listening time increases I'll probably upgrade to the V200. Right now my speakers are getting most of my listening time.

May 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,412 of 9,207

Quote:
At your budget you're looking at a 3CH B22. I've listened to Ross' (Baka1969) B22 and found it to be a relatively warm amp with a sound signature very similar to the WA6SE. It should be better than the Burson in speed, dynamics, resolution etc. Look into the WA6SE as well if you prefer a tube sound.

I'm talking about a 4CH beta 22, is it different in sound from 3CH?

May 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2,415 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I mainly inquired because you stated such significant differences and I find it hard to consider how much better the LCD-2s could sound. If my headphone listening time increases I'll probably upgrade to the V200. Right now my speakers are getting most of my listening time.

I'm not familiar with the V200 but I can assure you that there are better amplifiers than the Burson HA-160 out there but may I advise you to consider source upgrades too as it's equally, if not, more important than your amplifiers.

And regarding the Beta22, I think I've read somewhere that a 4-channel version is supposed to be smoother sounding than the 2-channel but I'm not really sure since I haven't had the opportunity to A/B them side-by-side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back