Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,146 of 9,207
I think as with all tube amps the tubes can make a huge difference, in the "organic" areas.  If you used new production tubes only, than you can certainly have some improvement by trying some very good NOS tubes out, this amp will show you differences in tube selection.

Quote:
Haven't heard the WA-22 with LCD-2's yet (strangely enough).  I can second the Apex Peak/Volcano recommendation if you like clarity and imaging.  Personally, I'm partial to the Stacker II. 
wink_face.gif

I've also liked what I heard of jax's V181.  In my limited listening to it, it sounded more "organic" that the Peak/Volcano, though the latter wins the imaging contest.

May 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #2,147 of 9,207

Quote:
I tried this combination and the LCD-2 sounds mindblowing
Olive 6HD Music Server>Cambridge C840 DAC>NuForec ICON HDP(PreAmp)>Schiit Valhalla>LCD-2>
atsmile.gif

this combo sounds better than WooWA22 with stock tubes

Interesting, I take it that the ICON is needed to pump up the input gain to the Valhalla. Otherwise it wouldn't have the headroom needed to drive the LCD-2 properly straight out of the C840, is that correct?

Quote:
I think as with all tube amps the tubes can make a huge difference, in the "organic" areas.  If you used new production tubes only, than you can certainly have some improvement by trying some very good NOS tubes out, this amp will show you differences in tube selection.

Very good point Wedge.

May 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2,150 of 9,207

Quote:
Ah, will look into that. Is it worth spending an extra grand to get a Cavalli Liquid Fire?

Only if you have a source that can allow the LF to utilize  its better clarity and such. An amp can only be as good as the info it recieves from the dac. Basically if you are using a ipod into your amp then no. If you have a nice dac that the schiit amp could be holding back its potential then yes. Where that crossover happens is up to your ears.

May 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2,151 of 9,207

Quote:

Interesting, I take it that the ICON is needed to pump up the input gain to the Valhalla. Otherwise it wouldn't have the headroom needed to drive the LCD-2 properly straight out of the C840, is that correct?

Absolutely, and its made me realise that a mix and match setup CAN deliver the goods in a cost effective mannar.

May 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,152 of 9,207

Quote:

True enough, but without massive changes there is a certain signature that an amp will have.  I'm not saying the Peak/Volcano is "sterile" and totally not "organic", but it wasn't the amp's forte, IMO.  Granted, this is totally subjective and I only rolled about 4 or 5 different new and old production tubes through.

Quote:
Ah, will look into that. Is it worth spending an extra grand to get a Cavalli Liquid Fire?

Ditto to kingstyles' comment, and also keep in mind that different people like different sound signatures.  Go figure.  It's a subjective hobby, so whether it's worth it or not is going to depend on what you like.  You ears and your brain are the best judge of what's worth it, not the word of someone communicating through cyberspace from half a world away.  :)   Err...or in our case, up the Pacific coast.

I always personally find that it's important to get a feel for the aesthetic of the people you're getting feedback from, since we all hear things differently.  Granted, they may not like the same things I do, but at least I try to see if I can find some sort of common vocabulary and base of reference.

May 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,153 of 9,207

Quote:

Only if you have a source that can allow the LF to utilize  its better clarity and such. An amp can only be as good as the info it recieves from the dac. Basically if you are using a ipod into your amp then no. If you have a nice dac that the schiit amp could be holding back its potential then yes. Where that crossover happens is up to your ears.

Obviously spending nearly $3k on an amp and then using an ipod as a source is stupid, something I don't think he was planning on doing.
Most dacs above $500 should pair very well with the Liquid Fire

May 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2,154 of 9,207

Quote:
Obviously spending nearly $3k on an amp and then using an ipod as a source is stupid, something I don't think he was planning on doing.

I have seen it done. There is nothing in his signature/profile so I assume nothing. Just throwing it out there. Basically all I was trying to say is if you feel the amp is holding your dac back then it may be worth the upgrade. If they are pretty much on par, then it might not. He may need to upgrade his dac in order to first get everything out of the schiit amp. Who knows, he would have to let us know what the "rest" of his setup is.

May 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2,155 of 9,207
I would dearly love to hear the LCD-2 out of the Liquid Fire. From the impressions that I have read there is no better sane and easily-obtainable amp for the LCD-2, regardless of the source being used.

post edited, thanks Equus 
smile.gif

May 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,156 of 9,207
While I love the Liquid Fire from my time with the pre-production version, and I am probably one of the first two people to put my name down for preorder, I personally think there are amps that do certain things better than the Liquid Fire.  I think the Stacker II is more emotionally involving, while kingstyles' Balancing Act has some strong points as well.  Granted, the Stacker II is not really easily obtained and kingstyles' rig is crazy.  The other caveat, of course, is that the impressions I have, and most folks in this neck of the woods have, is based on the pre-prod amp with pretty cheap tubes. 
tongue_smile.gif

May 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2,157 of 9,207

Quote:
I would dearly love to hear the LCD-2 out of the Liquid Fire. From the impressions that I have read there is no better amp for the LCD-2, regardless of the source being used.

At that price range it is personal preference on what you consider important. At the last meet, we had both the LF and the BA hooked up to my front end for comparisons. There wasnt a consensus either way of which was the better. Some said the LF and some said the BA. That was the preproduction LF with stock tubes so I would love to do the comparison again with a production model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back