Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,041 of 9,207
For you fight fans, what's on the undercard?
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2,042 of 9,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, so a Lyr / Peak comparison with the LCD-2's is forthcoming???  
wink.gif

Well, maybe, but I would prefer to own one before I do a comparison.  I've been listening to my friends.  

We could do this though.  
evil_smiley.gif

WA-22 is now tubed with Mullard ECC32, RCA Black Plate 5U4G, and Tung-Sol 5998, but I can't take a picture at work.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,044 of 9,207
LiqTenExp has one a Little Dot amp.  He has used it with his LCD-2.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2,045 of 9,207
I have a LD MKIII tubed with 6H30PI Sovtek and NOS RCA 6AK5.  In its highest gain state it has no issues powering the LCD-2 above safe levels, doesn't mean it has as much power as some of the other amps out there into 50 ohms but I can't listen to it above 12 o'clock without worrying about my hearing, lol.  I think it sounds respectable but would need to A/B vs. another amp (like a Leben or Lyr) to tell you what I don't like about it.  I usually use it for my DT990-600 ohms.

Maybe Wedge and I will do Leben/Peak/Lyr/LD show down sometime soon... We would pick a DAC like Wedge's Yulong or PSAudio and go down the line up.  We have some common ground on music tastes so thats good, and on the other hand we have some huge differences.  I think it would make for a good comparison.  

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,046 of 9,207
Well I got about an hour in on the Peak, and decided to give a listen.  The tube I am using has been run in already (Marconi Osram B65), so thats pretty much settled.  I always give a listen after about an hour just to see how things are going.  Amazing little amplifier.  I love the midrange of it.  Thats what kind of sticks out to me right now.  I'm listening to some Natalie Merchant songs, I personally think she has a beautiful voice.  Of course you know these are just very initial listening, so please don't jump to any conclusions.  I'm going to run the amp in more (for amps I generally put around 100 hours on it before I start really listening) and then try to get some serious listening time in.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #2,048 of 9,207

Quote:
I have a LD MKIII tubed with 6H30PI Sovtek and NOS RCA 6AK5.  In its highest gain state it has no issues powering the LCD-2 above safe levels, doesn't mean it has as much power as some of the other amps out there into 50 ohms but I can't listen to it above 12 o'clock without worrying about my hearing, lol.  I think it sounds respectable but would need to A/B vs. another amp (like a Leben or Lyr) to tell you what I don't like about it.  I usually use it for my DT990-600 ohms.

Maybe Wedge and I will do Leben/Peak/Lyr/LD show down sometime soon... We would pick a DAC like Wedge's Yulong or PSAudio and go down the line up.  We have some common ground on music tastes so thats good, and on the other hand we have some huge differences.  I think it would make for a good comparison.  

That'd be great! Please do! If anyone has the MKIVSE to add to the mix that'd be nice too.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2,051 of 9,207
Hi guys, i'm using a Burson HA-160 with my LCD-2 and i would like to upgrade it to a better amp.

What amp you suggest me? (budget 1k $)

Thank you very much

Look for a used beta22 or try to commission one. Otherwise stay with what you have.

Well, it's really hard to find a beta 22 used for sale.......:mad:
Thanks

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2,052 of 9,207
Hi guys, i'm using a Burson HA-160 with my LCD-2 and i would like to upgrade it to a better amp.

Thank you very much

Look for a used beta22 or try to commission one. Otherwise stay with what you have.

Well, it's really hard to find a beta 22 used for sale.......:mad:
Thanks

It's sound advice though as you will be seeing maybe minimal gains at the $1k level.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,053 of 9,207

Quote:

Thank you very much

Have you considered the Schiit Lyr?

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #2,054 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much

Quote:

Well, it's really hard to find a beta 22 used for sale.......
mad.gif

Thanks

It's sound advice though as you will be seeing maybe minimal gains at the $1k level.

Hmmm, I bought a used Beta22 built by Rockhopper, a few years back.  They do builds - at least they sell builds.  I have nothing to compare mine to, but it was a pretty good amp - I didn't like it enough to keep it more than a few months.  I didn't have LCD-2's at the time (HD800, HD650 and I think perhaps Grado HF-2's during that stint). 

I haven't done the comparison myself, but you might also want to look into Violectric amps as a $1K option - There's a few reviews on the V200 including this one by Project86, who also reviewed the V181 here.  I believe he mentioned the Burson (not  positive).  Unfortunately he did not use LCD-2's for the reviews.  I can tell you that the V181 makes a great amp for the LCD-2's, but alas, I cannot tell you how it compares to a Burson.  I would add that the Apex Peak Volcano, at twice your budget, would also be outstanding with the LCD-2's and if you add more scratch to the kitty definitely put that on your short list and seek out some comparisons.  You could just get the Apex Peak to start out and get the Volcano power supply later - but I'd warn that the Volcano is a really critical part of that equation in my experience, and the stock power supply might not take the Burson to the matt - I'm pretty confident that with the power supply its a hard-to-beat combo, but again, no direct experience with  your amp to say for sure.  Same with the V181 - You can't go wrong with the Violectric combo - I just cant say whether it would be worth dropping your Burson for the swap.  Perhaps you can input from someone who's heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back