Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,951 of 9,207
I understand them not recommending an amp, but it would be nice if they would recommend an optimum spec.  I'm not technical, but I believe 2100 mw into 50 ohms will drive the LCD-2's different than 500mw into 50 ohms, and what about voltage and current?

Or is it already published?

-michael

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,952 of 9,207
Power is misunderstood by some I think.  The power drawn is directly related to the volume level.  A 2W amp doesn't drive the LCD-2 any better than a 10mW one while being played at 1mW just because it can go louder.  A good number of companies have made a living selling really high quality low power amps because in the end not everyone can use 1KW mono blocks :wink:  In the case of the LCD-2, HeadRoom measured it at 120mV to get 90dB.  I'm more concerned with buying the best amp overall than whether it can reach 130dB... something I'm never ever going to do.  To be clear I am not saying that high power amps are bad by default, many of the high quality amps also tend to be high power but to buy an amp based on power output alone?

That said, of the amps I've had since the LCD-2, the B22 and Burson have been great.  The Burson plays more to the LCD-2's speed and razor sharp transients while the B22 has greater extension while rounding out that sharpness to be more refined sounding.  Layman's terms... rock vs jazz.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,953 of 9,207
Power is misunderstood by some I think.  The power drawn is directly related to the volume level.  A 2W amp doesn't drive the LCD-2 any better than a 10mW one while being played at 1mW just because it can go louder.  A good number of companies have made a living selling really high quality low power amps because in the end not everyone can use 1KW mono blocks :wink:  In the case of the LCD-2, HeadRoom measured it at 120mV to get 90dB.  I'm more concerned with buying the best amp overall than whether it can reach 130dB... something I'm never ever going to do.  To be clear I am not saying that high power amps are bad by default, many of the high quality amps also tend to be high power but to buy an amp based on power output alone?

That said, of the amps I've had since the LCD-2, the B22 and Burson have been great.  The Burson plays more to the LCD-2's speed and razor sharp transients while the B22 has greater extension while rounding out that sharpness to be more refined sounding.  Layman's terms... rock vs jazz.

Permagrin said:
  Here's one of the differences (my apologies for the formatting):

Output comparison between: v181 vs. v200
Output Voltage in 50 Ohms 10,2 V | 11,6 V
Output Power in 50 Ohms 2100 mW | 2700 mW

Never mind, overkill either way.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,954 of 9,207

Quote:

Thanks Olias. I have a stock GCPH with a MM setup and plan on moving up to an MC unit. I find that the best dynamic range/volume when I listen is around 2pm, I know what you mean though if I go any further. Your 103R is rated at 25 mV into 14 ohms; I was looking recently at the Denon anniversary TT which features the DL-A100, rated at 30 mV into 40 ohms. How much better do you think the GCPH would fare with the DL-A100? And are you happy with the level one mod compared to stock or was your GCPH already modded when you picked it up originally?

Hi grokit -- I purchased the GCPH secondhand with the mods already done, so I can't compare it to the stock unit. I would expect you'd have better luck with the DL-A100 than I've had with the DL-103R, but that's just speculation on my part.

To come back to the topic at hand -- in the F-117/Lyr/LCD-2 setup I've been enjoying, I prefer the top-end sparkle of the Dyna 10x5 to the smooth and neutral presentation of the DL-103R. This is with a stock (for now) SL1200 mk2. The Lyr/LCD-2 combo is a real winner with LPs.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,955 of 9,207
Sorry guys, I read about 10 pages and am getting lazy and want to know what is the best/most recommended amp for lcd-2 within a price range.
under $500, is it Lyr?
under $1000, is it burson 160? 
above $1000, I wish I had the money.

also, does lcd2 works better with ss or tube? thanksg

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #1,957 of 9,207
I agree with what you are saying in general but with the HE6 and possibly to a lesser extent the LCD2's...more power does give greater bass extension and a greater sense of space.  I could be wrong but these are fantastic cans and well worth the investigation to find their real potential.

Quote:

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,958 of 9,207
Hey guys, 

Does anyone have any experience using the LCD-2 and a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 speaker amp? It's noted for being a great match with the k1000s. I would appreciate any input, even moreso in comparison to the HE-6 which seems to be the LCD-2s competition from what I have read. I am downsizing from a speaker setup with all Red Wine Audio components. I want to explore all possibilities before selling this venerable amp (IMO). Your assistance will go a long way in determining the direction I take into real headphone listening, which at the moment comprises an HD-580 / EMU-0404 computer experience. I have seen numerous posts stating that the LCD-2 is great with speaker amps, could you guys please chime in.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,959 of 9,207

Quote:
Didn't someone post a link to a facebook post, or a twit, or some such finger-on-the-pulse riveting webformation, that suggested that they were designing a line array speaker system?  Or was I dreaming or delirious. 

They have excellent drivers for line array / sound reinforcement.  Haven't heard that they're moving into audiophile full range spkr arena.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,960 of 9,207

Quote:
I understand them not recommending an amp, but it would be nice if they would recommend an optimum spec.  I'm not technical, but I believe 2100 mw into 50 ohms will drive the LCD-2's different than 500mw into 50 ohms, and what about voltage and current?
Or is it already published?
-michael

We've gone through this a number of times in the past, but 2100mW driving a 50 Ohm load requires 10.25 Volts.  To drop 10.25V across 50 Ohms requires 205 mA of current.

So there's all your numbers...You change one, you change them all.

For 500mW, you would have 5 Volts and 100mA. @ 50 Ohms

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,961 of 9,207

Quote:
Well...of the amps I own, the best was the Leben CS300X.  The Leben and the LCD-2 together are HEAVENLY.

Next best was the Meier Concerto - which was also excellent with the LCD-2 (and is solid state, unlike the Leben...and also 1/4 the price of the Leben...)

is Meier Concerto the best for that price range?
how does it compare to Burson 160? 
thanks

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,964 of 9,207
I personally don't believe that the LCD-2 has a better synergy with SS over Tubes.  I love the LCD-2 with my WA-22, and I also heard it on the Leben which is phenomenal (after which I ordered one).  I heard the LCD-2 through my GCHA which isn't the best of SS amps buts its quite good for what I paid, as well as some Audio-gd.  I have not heard it through the Burson or Concerto, but I think that the LCD-2 paired with a great tube amp is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back