Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,666 of 9,207

Quote:
So would you recommend a separate DAC and Amp combo rather than the Burson? Since I live in Korea, I can get Stello products for about $200 cheaper than in the States with free Shipping. So, in your opinion what do you like about the Stello that makes it a good DAC? BTW are you referring to the DA100 Signature or the Ai500? Most reviews that I have read say that they are very forward DAC's but that may benefit the LCD-2's. Thanks for your opinion.

I can't say anything negative about how the 160D sounds since I have never heard it, but after reading about it I would not buy it; the DAC appears very similar to the Music Streamer II (which I did not like). The 160 part (amp) is phenomenal.

Regarding the Stello, if you happen to have that great discount available, take it, you won't be disappointed with it as DAC, at all.

What makes it good? For me it was night and day wen I changed from the DacMagic (CA) to the Stello, everything sounded much more cohesive and clear, no blurs, very expansive with great separation. The DA100 does not come out as forward sounding to me. Depends what you listen to though.

Hope my ramblings help.

Edit: I am referring to the original DA100 (the same as the Signature if you use it through optical input).

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,667 of 9,207

Quote:

I can't say anything negative about how the 160D sounds since I have never heard it, but after reading about it I would not buy it; the DAC appears very similar to the Music Streamer II (which I did not like). The 160 part (amp) is phenomenal.

I came to a similar conclusion about the dac part of the 160D, from reading different reviews, the Dac wasn't really worth the extra cost.
I bought the HA160 and am very happy with that purchase, it works really well with my headphones (but don't own the LCD-2 yet, so can't comment on those).

For a dac I bought the Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC http://eeaudio.com/eeaudio_20102.htm - it's a dac with the best of both worlds, its output being selectable between Tube and solid state.
When I finally get to order the LCD-2 (waiting list for a month and a half), I'll post how it all sounds together. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #1,668 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm finding the CEntrance DACmini is a very good choice for the LCD-2, and it's become my favorite amp to pair with the LCD-2 so far (no balanced cable for SR-71b yet).

Quote:
I totally agree with your statement. I too am going to obtain a balanced cable for my LCD-2 so I can listen to it on my Phoenix, but right now I don't have another amp that pairs so well as does my DACmini with my LCD-2.  I now find that I atomatically reack for my LCD-2 & turn on my DACmini when I sit down at my PC. Up until I got the LCD-2, I almost always hooked up the Phoenix to my HDR dac via balanced cables & pulled out my HE5LEs, Beyer 880 600 ohms, or my HD650s all with SSA balanced cables.  So to prefer a stock cabled SE  LCD-2 on the little DACmini, speaks volumes.  I won't say that the combo is really better than the above Phoenix combos running totally balanced 'cause it isn't, but the combo of the 2 (mini/LCD02) are such a perfect match to my ear for all kinds of music, that w/o even thinking, it is what I find I tend to always reach for. Michael & his CEntrance guys have done it again. I use my DACport with my iPAD almost exclusively now, usually with IEMs, but with my LCD-2 I now almost exclusively plug in the mini.  Before this i favored my maxxed Woo6, but not anymore unless I want to focus purely on some of my Jazz favorites.

I hope as your busy schedule allows, you'll do a formal review of the DACmini.  I know I'd love to read it.  I always look forward to reading all your new reviews. They have been a lot of help to me over the last few years in making wise purchase choices & is much appreciated. I feel sure the same is true for a lot of other HeadFiers.  Thanks!!!!

I spent more time with the DACmini and LCD-2 and I can't imagine needing more than the stock gain of 8 with these LCD-2.  Normal listening for me is between 9-11 o'clock (via USB DAC), while 12 is fairly loud, 2-3 o'clock is uncomfortable, and 5 o'clock maxed is deafening/earsplitting with good impact with no clipping.  It definitely isn't running out of juice.  So, not only is frequency response and soundstage a good match for the LCD-2, but power is more than I can ever use.  I'm listening to LCD-2 right now with the volume at only 10 o'clock and I'm worried because my wife can hear my music across the room while she sleeps.

Even my 9v ALO Amphora has enough power for the LCD-2, but it's mids are a little recessed vs the DACmini, and so it doesn't help bring out detail in the LCD-2 mids which I think are a little recessed themselves - so the DACmini helps the LCD-2 mids in my opinion, as well as adding some of that missing sparkle in the highs that I complained about before.  It manages to do this in a more refined and less aggressive manner than my HDP which was also quite powerful with the LCD-2.

I wont say that an optional gain of 10 like yours wont be better for my HE-5 LE or 600 ohm AKG headphones, but you seemed to say previously that you preferred the DACmini with LCD-2 only after you had the gain increased to 10.  But I just don't need that much gain myself, because with the stock gain I can use the DACmini with LCD-2 and everything but HE-6, and all my IEM work well and have no channel imbalance at low volumes.  A gain of 10 would increase the noise floor, and right now I can barely hear any hiss with my ES3X which would be a bit noisier with a gain of 10.

I still don't have my balanced LCD-2 cable to try with my SR-71b and my 55-watt speaker amp.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,669 of 9,207
I've actually, momentarily, listened to music from my LCD-2s without having them on my head (sounds much better than my crappy iPod dock speakers lol). Yeah they are quite open unfortunately if someone in the same room is sleeping.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,671 of 9,207
Would it leak sound enough for someone in another room to hear it? Depends on volume, but generally?

Quote:
I've actually, momentarily, listened to music from my LCD-2s without having them on my head (sounds much better than my crappy iPod dock speakers lol). Yeah they are quite open unfortunately if someone in the same room is sleeping.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,674 of 9,207

Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to hook up the Lyr and try it out with the LCD-2 yet??

There's been some impressions posted in the latter half of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,675 of 9,207

The LCD-2s are so open I can mute my source and take calls on my cellphone without removing the LCD-2s.  I'm sure that's possible with some other open designs, but try talking to someone on the phone while wearing LCD-2s - there doesn't seem to be much attenuation at all - and a good reason for finding really quiet places to listen to them.

Mike

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,676 of 9,207
I have never heard a pair of cans that leak as much as these, or are as open as these.  Its true outside noise gets in  easily BUT they sound great and can drown out most ambient noise while listening to music.  I think part of their "like speakers" sound comes from that open factor.

They really float on your head to after the first couple of times you put them on, granted everyone has different head shapes. I have been lucky enough to find just about every headphone comfy.  Except for the 770 pro digging into my skull.'

On another note the LCD-2's are good for plants, they can listen to the same music you are ;D
Quote:

The LCD-2s are so open I can mute my source and take calls on my cellphone without removing the LCD-2s.  I'm sure that's possible with some other open designs, but try talking to someone on the phone while wearing LCD-2s - there doesn't seem to be much attenuation at all - and a good reason for finding really quiet places to listen to them.

Mike

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,678 of 9,207
Can't wait to get my Lyr (should be shipped at the end of the month) so I can pitch it against my Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.

The LCD-2 already sound *amazing* with the M1, and doesn't feel underpowered at all (volume pot goes 7 o'clock round to 5 o'clock, normal volume for me with the LCD-2 is between 9 and 11, beyond 12 is probably hearing-damage territory) but I've yet to hear them with another amp so can't compare. I can say that it's extremely deft with the fine detail, and suitably muscular when called upon though, and I can't hear any noise at all.

I think I'm about to embark on the old 'start-from-square-one-with-your-entire-music-collection' LCD-2 syndrome ;/

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #1,679 of 9,207
I can honestly say now that I can recommend the lcd2 with the BA. I didnt like the pairing at a previous meet, but I swapped the driver tube for one that I figured would pair with the lcd2 better and it seemed to be a success. Also the liquid fire for the price is a great amp to run the lcd2 if you want a nice powerful amp. The big surprise was how good the little monster, the schiit Lyr did with them. More than enough power to drive them. It just lost a little clarity and detail to the bigger amps.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,680 of 9,207

Quote:
I have never heard a pair of cans that leak as much as these, or are as open as these.  Its true outside noise gets in  easily BUT they sound great and can drown out most ambient noise while listening to music.  I think part of their "like speakers" sound comes from that open factor.

They really float on your head to after the first couple of times you put them on, granted everyone has different head shapes. I have been lucky enough to find just about every headphone comfy.  Except for the 770 pro digging into my skull.'

On another note the LCD-2's are good for plants, they can listen to the same music you are ;D

LCD-2, the philodendron's friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back