Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,321 of 9,207

Quote:
Well with all due honesty I personally agree with Mr. Green on the LCD-2 sound signature. That doesn´t mean they aren´t good headphones though, but they do have flaws IF delicacy/sense of air and soundstage are very important for you. The soundstage is just too small to properly convey complex passages if you ask me. I can easily imagine it´s a dream headphone for many, and I will second that the Phoenix drives it very well. Around 3 watts per channel in fact, which should be enough for easy to drive orthos. The LCD-2 are more of a steamroller headphone. If HD 800 wouldn´t have the "PAIN DIRECTLY DELIVERED IN YOUR EARS!" treble spike, I would easily chose them over the LCD-2 on the Phoenix. They are also very well driven by it. Actually now that I´ve tried the HD 800 on other amps as well (Black Cube Linear and Benchmark DAC-1), the spike is actually less hard on the Phoenix. It´s still too much for me though.

Out of those headphones, I´d still easily chose the LCD-2. 

If there is one thing that the LCD2 does right, it is its ability to resolve complex passages given the context of its small-ish soundstage. I do think that resolving complex passages have nothing to do with soundstage size though I agree with him that the LCD2 could do with more sparkle and air. 

IIRC, orthodynamics require an amplifier that has a very low output impedance and provides lots of current to do well. I'm not sure how good the Phoenix is in this regards. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,322 of 9,207
My plan is to drop $449 on a Lyr and be done with it.  It should power anything.

Of course, if you want to move up to balanced in/out - you'll have to get your Schiit elsewhere (I'm sure a balanced version will be forthcoming at some point....er...mostly sure...)

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,325 of 9,207

Quote:
My plan is to drop $449 on a Lyr and be done with it.  It should power anything.

Of course, if you want to move up to balanced in/out - you'll have to get your Schiit elsewhere (I'm sure a balanced version will be forthcoming at some point....er...mostly sure...)

haven't heard their stuff (supposedly great) but I wouldn't buy it just because it is 6 watts per channel... hell the LCD-2 give you 91 dB at 1mW why on earth would you need 6 watts?

Not saying it won sound great, but buying an amp on watts alone is like buy a car for its pricetag.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,328 of 9,207
Quote:
SemiAudiophile said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe the LCD-2 works better with the newer MAD Ear+ HD's. I remember them being quite magical and inviting too on my purist, but there was something about the mids that sounded strained on certain tracks. 

Quote:
Just some quick input:

The audio GD phoenix is a godsend with the LCD-2. Holy crap do these two make beautiful music together. Very much a concerto with bigger balls and more "soul" if you will. Must be that full class A and no negative feedback. Fully balanced signal path must help too i'd imagine. Seems to have a fairly bigger soundstage on the phoenix in XLR vs the MAD. Channel separation is incredible too (duhh I guess haha).

I hate saying this, but for best results the phoenix really does like to be warmed up which I didn't believe but it really does seem to sound better when its been warmed up. Can't blind test this at all though as I would need two phoenixs haha.

The MAD ear+ HD also works great with the LCD-2. Nice and creamy with what I assume is "tube romance". Only the slightest of  roll off and vocals are exceedingly inviting.

Overall the phoenix  has better SQ to my hears and I prefer it... but I am going to really hate giving Simon his MAD ear amp back haha! Really something magical about it.

If you want overall linearity and "control" go for the phoenix

If you want vocals that just "melt in your ears" go for the MAD. It also excels with classic rock too FWIW.

Hi Alex:

Just wondering what tube are you running in SP's MAD amp? For a bit more juice, I highly recommend the 12AX7 (NOS Sylvania or new issue Genelax Gold) over the 5751s that typically come with the amp for my more "depending headphones". That being said, I still prefer my LCD-2s with my Concerto. We shall see how they fair with my incoming Woo Audio WA2.
smile.gif

I still prefer the MAD with my HD800s and T1s though.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #1,329 of 9,207
LCD-2 do impress more on my solid state amps then my tube as well. I would like to try the Schiit Lyr since it´s just to impractible for me to use my speaker amp. Hybrid so maybe it has more detail then the average tube amp while being more forgiving on poor recordings then the average solid state amp? From what I heard so far little indication that the LCD-2 really benefit much from a speaker amp but I guess it let you sleep well at night knowing it´s massively overpowered :D

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,330 of 9,207
Quote:
Thanks for all. 
i buy lcd2, without using the amp

You will still be happy with it

Quote:

We will never be 'done' in this 'business' the search continues .........
wink.gif

Quote:
please recommend amp for 300$

Now you want an amp 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
thanks for you! i buy asgard 

Man, you're a very efficient man, I like your style 
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,334 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

haven't heard their stuff (supposedly great) but I wouldn't buy it just because it is 6 watts per channel... hell the LCD-2 give you 91 dB at 1mW why on earth would you need 6 watts?

Not saying it won sound great, but buying an amp on watts alone is like buy a car for its pricetag.

Supposedly the Lyr has a tapered pot and adaptable power, and will sound great even with low-impedance efficient cans like Grados. It also stays in class A until it really needs the maximum power.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,335 of 9,207

Quote:
Supposedly the Lyr has a tapered pot and adaptable power, and will sound great even with low-impedance efficient cans like Grados. It also stays in class A until it really needs the maximum power.

Does this not pretty much describe how class A works in general?  It wastes tons of power until the load is so demanding that it is pushed out of class A? :O  Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back