Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #1,217 of 9,207

Is there a consensus after 81 pages of discussion?

LOL...Right...I would say that no, there is not.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,219 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Cavellli Liquid Fire seems to be the consensus favorite, but of course not that many have actually heard it. And it is totally unavailable until further notice. Evidently you can't build one either. I hope this post has been helpful.

Not sure how an amp that's only been heard in meets and isn't available can be flagged as the one :wink:  LCD-2 is no different than anything else, just stay clear of OTL and a good amp will still be good.  B22 is fantastic.

I have to agree that I don't think it can be accurate that the Liquid Fire is the "consensus favorite".  At best it "shows promise". 

Well the Liquid Fire was the early consensus favorite anyways, but then it went into hibernation. We'll see what kind of shape it's in when it re-emerges!

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #1,220 of 9,207

Quote:

Quote:
I have to agree that I don't think it can be accurate that the Liquid Fire is the "consensus favorite".  At best it "shows promise". 

Is there a consensus after 81 pages of discussion?

LoL...is there ever a consensus here?

Typical rule of thumb: Two Head-fiers = 3 or more opinions!

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,221 of 9,207
I finally know what people mean when people have been saying the LCD-2 is a revealing headphone. I just switched from using D10 to the m902 and the difference is very noticeable. The sound is so clean. Bigger soundstage/less congestion, such better control, timing, and musicality. I'm liking the Gizmo and LCD-2 pairing so much, I'm thinking about ordering another one just for the LCD-2. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The only downside about the Gizmo is you really need some kind of preamp to control the gain. Once you do, it's just heavenly. 

And the good part is there's a bass and treble control setting to tweak to your desired preference. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #1,222 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Cavellli Liquid Fire seems to be the consensus favorite, but of course not that many have actually heard it. And it is totally unavailable until further notice. Evidently you can't build one either. I hope this post has been helpful.

Not sure how an amp that's only been heard in meets and isn't available can be flagged as the one :wink:  LCD-2 is no different than anything else, just stay clear of OTL and a good amp will still be good.  B22 is fantastic.

Well the Liquid Fire was the early consensus favorite anyways, but then it went into hibernation. We'll see what kind of shape it's in when it re-emerges!

Hehe yes there is only a consensus when the beta testers can roam free :D

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,223 of 9,207
Concensus is usually a bad way to buy anyway.  Concensus = common knowledge.  Which is an oxymoron, being neither common nor knowledge.

Bottom line: let your own ears be the judge. 

For example, I've heard a number of people say that the LCD-2 isn't so great with tubes, and while it will work with the Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD Super, that there may be better matches out there.  Today I made the rounds at the NY meet and came away feeling pretty good about the pairing.  Vinnie's new generation Isabella HPA was damn nice.  I grabbed a quick bite a lunchtime and had a nice quiet time listening to some of my own music listening to it for several cuts.  Wow!  Nice being off the power grid.  VERY quiet background with the sound just leaping out of the darkness!  Dave had a fantastic balanced setup with a Headroom amp that I found especially nice with the Sennheiser HD-800's, and special too with the LCD-2's.  There were half a dozen more setups I auditioned with the LCD's, including a really credible Ray Samuels chip amp.  But after all of that, I still liked the sound best withe the MAD amp (solid-state rectified, EL84 output tubes).  My ears, my preference, don't let my experience dictate what you buy.  But it might suggest some things for you to try at another meet or which you should audition.  At this level you're looking for some special synergies, but unless things are really mis-matched, it's more finding the flavor that works for you rather than a right or wrong answer.

Hope this helps!

Frankl

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,224 of 9,207
I think the tube amp pairing comment is specifically for OTL designs, the MAD super HD being transformer coupled wont have that problem. That being said, listening to the LCD2 on my "up there" OTL amp is a rather average experience.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #1,225 of 9,207

Quote:
I think the tube amp pairing comment is specifically for OTL designs, the MAD super HD being transformer coupled wont have that problem. That being said, listening to the LCD2 on my "up there" OTL amp is a rather average experience.

As your profile and signature are empty we have no idea what you are referring to when you are listening to your ""up there" OTL amp".

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #1,226 of 9,207

Quote:

I use the LCD2 with an OTL my Decware CSP-2 and for 95 percent of the music it works so well. Very detailed and  sounds great. On classical I prefer the T1 but it will work on jazz,pop, rock and most other genre well it can clip on symphony music thus is the reason I decided to order a ^W Taboo to be used with the setup but it also works well on Immitbiker RSA OTL according to Aaron so it will work on some OTL also

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #1,227 of 9,207
The LCD-2 are also excellent on the OTL Woo WA2.  You just need an OTL with lots of power.

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,229 of 9,207
May I ask some silly question?
Should I consider the amp when choosing DAC?
I mean is there any bonding between them?
or if the DAC match with the phone, I could ignore which amp I am using?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,230 of 9,207
I need suggestion on real speaker amp to drives HE-6 and LCD2s. 

How much power @ 8 ohm to make LCD2s reach max output 15W @  50 ohm?
What is HE-6 max power handling @ 50 ohm?

Any power difference between using ZDT w/silver transformer headphone jacks and speaker output?
On the wesite said 3W@ 32 ohm can I assume 1.5 - 1.7 W @ 50 ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back