Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #736 of 9,207
I think you are right about the Orion.  I wasn't considering buying one, just passing on my experience to a recent poster.  I have some DIY KT88 triode monos that operate in pure Class A @ about 12W RMS, but no relationship to headphones.  That said, I don't know much about rolling this tube, because I have never owned an EL-84 amp.  I am a 12AX7 aficionado. I think the Siemens triple mica  tubes are nice, also the Telefunken smooth plates, and any of the the 1950s US-made black plates.  The brief offering by Micro-tech solutions was also brilliant, but their stock appears to be tied up in court, following bankruptcy.  I find the best current production tube to be the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tube, or their 5751 where it works as a good sub. Try them, even if you are looking for NOS. You will be surprised. The old American made triple mica 5814s (GE/RCA) are a pretty nice 12AU7.

I'm a little wary of Cayin, for all the usual reasons. Chinese iron is generally not that hot; some time the circuits they copy are not correctly done, and so on. But I really like the EL-84 output tube it employs.  I haven't heard an EL-84 amp I didn't like.  You are right about the need for good OPTs, although I can't comment on the Cayin's, beyond my aversion to Chinese iron  The specs for the OPTs used in high-end headphone amps don't get much attention and some of the mfrs I have contacted won't reveal too much. Donald North is an exception and his OPT is a key to the performance of his Sonnet.  I am very keen on Audio Note (UK) double C cores and, at a lower price pont, the Lindahl OPTs with amorphous cores.  Trafo-matic has some double C-cores that look interesting and are priced about the same as the Lindahls, but I have never heard them, as they are new. I will.

Quote:
I'm betting you could probably find the actual Chinese amp that this is based on for under 1k.  My speaker amp is of similar KT88 design but without the headout (rebadged Vincent TAC) - definitely class AB with that rated power - exactly like my one 2X55 pentode.

The Cayin HA1A tube amp I'm using for the LCD2 has performed admirably - exquisite treble extension with superb subbass extension (not lacking in both extremes when compared to solid state - more subbass than BCL) - Ultralinear mode (forward/neutral) and Triode mode (laid back/warm - treble still exquisitley extended - so not dark).  Pure class A single ended design with speaker outputs for 2.2wats UL and 1.2w triode.  More detailed and refined than both my other hybrid amps (Xcan and Vincent).  This amp must have very good output transformers (4 position impedance selector) - its definitely a class above the MingDa in all areas.  Later tonight I'm gonna finally order some tubes (the Cayin came with Electroharmonix - I can see the label through the window) - should be fun to tube roll.  TTVJ sells this amp at the 800 buck mark.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #738 of 9,207
The Mini-Torii really isn't ideal for high-impedance headphones, according to Steve Deckert.  Plenty of power, no issue there, but there would be a bass roll-off as the impedance gets really high.  The output transformers are wound with a lower impedance in mind, as the Mini-Torii is a speaker amp adapted for headphone use.  So while it's absolutely killer with low-sensitivity, medium-to-low impedance headphones like the planar/orthos, it's less than ideal for some others. 

This is THE amp I will use for my HE-6, when they become available.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #740 of 9,207
I actually thought the T1 sounded pretty good with the Mini-Torri, but Steve was surprised by this.  He didn't think the bass would be very good.  I did not spend much time with that combo, so I will have to try it again and see how much roll-off there really is.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #741 of 9,207

Is the Leben still most prefer for LCD2 or the mini-torri more now?

Quote:
I actually thought the T1 sounded pretty good with the Mini-Torri, but Steve was surprised by this.  He didn't think the bass would be very good.  I did not spend much time with that combo, so I will have to try it again and see how much roll-off there really is.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #742 of 9,207
I still prefer the Leben, but the Mini-Torri is very close, and for less money.  The Leben is nicer looking (IMO) and has more features, and more power for speakers.  The Decware is made in the USA and is 1/3 the price of the "US" 120V Version of the Leben, and is very nearly as good sounding with the LCD-2 as the Leben.

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #743 of 9,207
Thanks vm Skylab for the immense time you must put in comparing equipment and then writing about it.

I've decided to jump back into headphone listening after a 35-year break (since Koss ESP6 at university!),
and had thought it was to be something like an O2+BHSE after a rather disappointing HD800 dem.

Like so many folk here, I'm drawn to the LCD-2, assuming I can decide on the amp. 
On speakers, I've never used tubes, preferring top SS such as Linn Klimax in active configurations.

In terms of driving an LCD-2, I see... 
your top choice is still the Leben which has a decently protective box, but which I find ugly (!) ;
your second is now the exposed Decware Mini Torii SE/X??? (which tubes did you finally settle on?)
my main query is: in your opinion, how far is the Mini Torii ahead of the Meier Concerto, in what areas?

Can the Mini Torii shoot more current into the hungry LCD-2 than the Concerto's 500mA ?
I guess the Leben wins on this front also - tho I feel I'm leaning toward the Decware or Meier. 
Excuse my ignorance, but can the Meier be Op-amp-rolled? - noting the socketed AD797...

Finally for now, can any helpful reader comment on the difference between the
Meier Concerto and Goldpoint Headphone Pro??? - All seemingly amazing in their price brackets.

Again, many thanks indeed. 
Nigel

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #744 of 9,207

I wouldn't skip over the Violectrics, I find it one of the best solid states I've heard.  If your looking to "enjoy the musc and tap your feet" without over analyzing things at every listen, definitely take a look at them as well. Paired with the LCD-2's they have quite a synergy, I feel no need to purchase any more amps after the V181....apart from actually trying out the famed Leben one day.    
Quote:
Thanks vm Skylab for the immense time you must put in comparing equipment and then writing about it.

I've decided to jump back into headphone listening after a 35-year break (since Koss ESP6 at university!),
and had thought it was to be something like an O2+BHSE after a rather disappointing HD800 dem.

Like so many folk here, I'm drawn to the LCD-2, assuming I can decide on the amp. 
On speakers, I've never used tubes, preferring top SS such as Linn Klimax in active configurations.

your top choice is still the Leben which has a decently protective box, but which I find ugly (!) ;
your second is now the exposed Decware Mini Torii SE/X??? (which tubes did you finally settle on?)
my main query is: in your opinion, how far is the Mini Torii ahead of the Meier Concerto, in what areas?

Can the Mini Torii shoot more current into the hungry LCD-2 than the Concerto's 500mA ?
I guess the Leben wins on this front also - tho I feel I'm leaning toward the Decware or Meier. 
Excuse my ignorance, but can the Meier be Op-amp-rolled? - noting the socketed AD797...

Meier Concerto and Goldpoint Headphone Pro??? - All seemingly amazing in their price brackets.

Nigel

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #745 of 9,207
i'm not having any troubles thus far with my black Gilmore Lite w/DPS....i'm just using my computer as a source for breakin' 'em in...then i plan to switch to a Meridian...i'm anxious to try them with my Portal Panache...i think that combo's really gonna work...maybe tomorrow...

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #746 of 9,207
Still getting better synergy with the GHP and Head One over the V200/Auditor here. Really like this combo.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #747 of 9,207
Go borrow a v181 and compare it to the GHP for me :)  Why is it that he doesn't have the links on his site to the GHP?

Quote:
Still getting better synergy with the GHP and Head One over the V200/Auditor here. Really like this combo.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #748 of 9,207

Quote:
Go borrow a v181 and compare it to the GHP for me :)  Why is it that he doesn't have the links on his site to the GHP?

Goldpoint Headphone Pro? It´s in the top of the home page in the middle :wink:

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #749 of 9,207

Quote:

Nigel

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still pretty new to the Decware Mini-Torii, and so I'm not ready to do in-depth comparisons between it and the Meier Concerto, and they are different fish anyway.  (I don't think you can op-amp roll the Concerto, but I am not certain).

The Mini-torii has a lot of power on tap - and it's a tube amp designed for loads like the LCD-2.  The pairing is quite synergistic.  However, an amp like the Concerto will drive a wider variety of headphones well, and is half the price of the Mini-torii - strong considerations there!  I really think of the WooAudio WA6 as being the tube equivalent to the Concerto for driving the LCD-2 - same price range, and works with a very wide variety of cans.  The Mini-Torii is a very fine amp, but it's a speaker-amp adapted for use with a certain kind of headphone.

Lastly, I have to comment that I simply cannot imagine finding the Leben ugly
basshead.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back