Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #8,101 of 9,207
I thought that you were gonna give me some popcorn consumption time!
rolleyes.gif
 Well, thanks for your feedback!! 
beerchug.gif

It seems that your description (as I understand it), of the bhsex, fits what a good tube amp does; it sounds natural, with realistic transients and dynamics. And maybe your description of the BHA describes a good SS design; it sounds clean, clear and very neutral. (Of course the very best amps, tube or SS, defy their tech, because they have no 'sound'.)

Anyway, it seems that, at the mo', you prefer the BHA for its clarity; it resolves the treble extremes better. Is that correct?
Your previous description, of the bhsex vs Gustard, suggests that you, like me, find that the Gustard lacks some fine treble detail. The BHsex improves on this, and then the BHA improves some more. (But hasn't quite got the bass of the of the BHsex.)
That's my understanding of your findings.

I guess, from that description, my preferences would lean towards the BHsex, for the extra bass. I'm finding that whilst the Gustard H10 has good bass, with plenty of extension, it sometimes lacks the fullness, power and body with the lcd2 fazors. Most of this is the lcd2, I guess. But, they did sound a little warmer and fuller with my other amp.
My Gustard still has only 50 hours on it, so it's unfair to make a final conclusion. But I get the feeling that I'd prefer some improved treble and fuller bass (more weight and 'body'; it seems like there maybe a frequency dip, somewhere in the deep bass region), regardless of run in.

So, both these amps would help with the treble (vs the Gustard), how about the bass?

popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #8,102 of 9,207
What you've read into my scrambled first impressions is bang on.

in terms of treble resolution best to worse: BHA-1, Sex, H-10.
Bass extension and power: Sex, H-10, BHA-1

I think the treble resolution tilts the perceived FR towards brighter on the BHA-1, almost the opposite of the warm Gustard, but the BHA-1 comes across as more neutral. This would imply the H-10 is very warm which is my impression. Paired with the LCD2.2 the H-10 lacks much air or high detail, but sure can rumble. Paired with the 650 I found it too treble-shy.

So the Sex is left covering the middle here. In a good way. A bit miore tolerant of vinyl hiss, finely detailed and bass that is right in the zone for most I think.

All three are good amps, but the H-10 showss its warm character a bit too much for my taste. The Sex will come across as more lively and musical with good depth, the BHA-1 oh so close, but a bit brighter still, with great resolution and very true to the source.

Hope that helps,

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #8,103 of 9,207
Thanks. 
beerchug.gif

Just one thing; I wouldn't say that the H10 is warm sounding; it just has messy treble, with the highest frequencies being rolled off. I'd say it lacks treble extension; the overall balance is about right (so far), neither too warm nor too dry. Maybe you're saying that it's warm because it misses treble information that the other amps reproduce.

Perhaps our definitions, our use of the adjective, my vary; 'warm', to me, means a little excessive from the lower mids downwards into the bass. Or alternatively, slightly lacking treble and upper mids.

Maybe I'd say that the H10 treble is a bit on the 'safe' side. But, it still has too much mid (metallic, cymbals etc) to be really 'safe'. 

Anyway, I'm very intrigued about the sexy BH! 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #8,104 of 9,207
Heh heh - we're working our way around words to the same thing. Let's go with rolled-off treble :)

If you've got the inclination to build I really can't recommend the BH Sex enough. And you won't be tempted to drop a mint on tubes. Roll a couple of caps if you feel like it. If you don't fancy a build then they do come up for sale every now and then, but nowhere near as often as the Crack. I think because the Crack is so very common and well-recommended for the 650's etc, and has so much DIY capability. But the Sex, once heard, just doesn't get sold on as much. It's that good lol. Can handle almost any can and efficient speakers, and can look mighty fine dolled up. Can't say enough about it 
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #8,105 of 9,207
How much power do the LCD-2 need to get good performance? The LCD-2 are 70 ohms, the only specs I can get for my amp are "Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel, Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 0.80 RMS per channel"... so I guess about 0.7w per channel at 70 ohms... Do you think that would be enough for decent performance? Or do they need at least xxx watts? Thanks

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #8,107 of 9,207
A low powered amp will 'tear your ears apart' for all the wrong reasons; as it runs out of steam, it'll go into distortion sooner. Actually, I think the volume position is determined by the gain of the amp, as much as anything else.

But saying that, I totally agree with Vosegus's recommendations. Your amp has enough power, but you may want to consider upgrading to something with at least twice the power, when you next satisfy your upgraditus.

I used to drive my planar 'phones with a totally underpowered amp (about 150mw into 100 ohms), and for a long time I wasn't really sure if I needed to upgrade (Although, I didn't actually realise that the figure was so low). Driving the he400 I had to turn it up to 4 O'clock, a totally (minispeaker) insane listening level, and only with the bassiest, most power sapping, tracks could I hear any audible distortion! Incidentally, normal listening was @ about the 11 o'clock position.

I then swapped to the lcd2f. I found that these phones had a softer, warmer sound, compared to the he400. The mid-range and treble is spot on, and the bass had the fullness that the he400 was lacking. The volume was mostly around the 10 o'clock position.
Now I've changed to a Gustard H10, with around 10x the power of my other amp. The sound has taken on a much more 'hifiman like' presentation; the bass is now tight, punchy and fast. This is, no doubt, because of the extra power. The main purpose of power, in an audio amplifier, is control. The volume setting is now (@0 dip gain setting) usually around the 9 o'clock position.

So, I guess, if you think that your lcd2 needs a bit more punch and speed, get a more powerful amp. If not, don't worry about it.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #8,110 of 9,207
So you prefer the Violectric V281 against the Bryston Bha-1?
What was the difference?
I guess you used the balanced output on both?

Yes balanced on both. The Bha-1 is a great amp. When I went from listening to my Schitt Lyr2 to the Bryston I was shocked how much better the Bha-1 sounded. I had the same reaction going from the Bryston to the Violectic. The V281 has more authority with maintaining a mega low noise floor. Everything sounds fuller.
Try this awesome review.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/authoritative-and-potent-violectric-v281-headphone-amplifier-page-2#SJiZEWjfYFIjWdfW.97

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #8,113 of 9,207
I am new to the headphone audio game but I had a chance to listen to the V281 a few days ago. Wow... truly an amazing amp. The pairings were with LCD-2 and HD800. If you can fork over the difference of whatever your looking at amp wise and the V281 then go for the V281 it is worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back