Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 13, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #8,057 of 9,207
I seem to like high gain. There's either a slight difference, or a placebo effect, but I definitely prefer this sound compared to previously. Will mess about with it more over the week, but for now I think I've found what works for me
I always use high-gain on the Lyr with planars, they like power. Play around with tubes, the Lyr is really responsive to tube rolling.

I just told you what I do. I can back it up with information and stats. What will you say besides the fact that you're an "audiophile" and use the information on this website as your own personal Bible.

As to Mr. 'THE AUTHORITY' of sound, there is so much more to it then numbers on a spec sheet. There is a reason why the HE-6 sounds like complete dog **** on some amps that *should be able to drive them to perfection according to the numbers, yet sounds like pure bliss on others. Not to mention everyone looks for different things in what they want out of their gear, sound quality differs from amp to amp. Some people love their LCD2 with a simple O2, some people love the Lyr2, others swear by the Taurus mkII. Guess what, they all sound different, they all bring something different to the table, I've had them all in my home, I've put them head to head, and I chose the WA6SE. I used this site to narrow the selection down from, every headphone amp ever made, to 5 that are generally thought to pair well; then I bought or rented them and decided what I liked the best. As a 20 year studio musician, who has spent a fair amount of time behind the board and with pro-tools, I'm fairly confident I'm able to figure out my own listening preferences.

Maybe it all sounds the same to you because your ears are not the most discerning, or maybe it's just that YOUR listening preferences tell YOU the NFB is a good match. Because guess what, we all hear things a little differently and have sensitivities to different frequencies.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #8,059 of 9,207
Thank you guys for the answers about my NFB15 :)
I actually own it already and tested the LCD2 with it, and I liked the sound very much as a matter of fact.
The price was just right for me, for this powerfull amp and a dac...300$..its doesnt get any better than that. I really wanted the Lyr2, but I was on budget..and I simply cant see myself shell out more money on an amp than on my headphones...

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #8,061 of 9,207
I would be wary of using this as a rule of thumb!
More expensive isn't always better is true. That's why forums like this are good. We already know the products where price and performance are good.

Try using high gain on NFB-15. It makes notable difference in sound quality. Mostly in subbass. Sound gets loud really quick but the Alps volume pot is good. No problem with channel imbalance.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #8,062 of 9,207
I always use high-gain on the Lyr with planars, they like power. Play around with tubes, the Lyr is really responsive to tube rolling.
As to Mr. 'THE AUTHORITY' of sound, there is so much more to it then numbers on a spec sheet. There is a reason why the HE-6 sounds like complete dog **** on some amps that *should be able to drive them to perfection according to the numbers, yet sounds like pure bliss on others. Not to mention everyone looks for different things in what they want out of their gear, sound quality differs from amp to amp. Some people love their LCD2 with a simple O2, some people love the Lyr2, others swear by the Taurus mkII. Guess what, they all sound different, they all bring something different to the table, I've had them all in my home, I've put them head to head, and I chose the WA6SE. I used this site to narrow the selection down from, every headphone amp ever made, to 5 that are generally thought to pair well; then I bought or rented them and decided what I liked the best. As a 20 year studio musician, who has spent a fair amount of time behind the board and with pro-tools, I'm fairly confident I'm able to figure out my own listening preferences.

Maybe it all sounds the same to you because your ears are not the most discerning, or maybe it's just that YOUR listening preferences tell YOU the NFB is a good match. Because guess what, we all hear things a little differently and have sensitivities to different frequencies.

Tldr: "I'm wrong and still don't know anything about high fidelity."

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #8,063 of 9,207
1. Trust your ears. Not the specs. Some great-sounding gear have avg specs on paper. And vice versa. Audition when possible.
2. Synergy is key.
3. Very little correlation exists between price and auditory satisfaction.
4. Law of diminishing returns. Once you get near the top of the food chain, every $ spent gets you less back in net performance boost.

cheers

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #8,064 of 9,207
1. Trust your ears. Not the specs. Some great-sounding gear have avg specs on paper. And vice versa. Audition when possible.
2. Synergy is key.
3. Very little correlation exists between price and auditory satisfaction.
4. Law of diminishing returns. Once you get near the top of the food chain, every $ spent gets you less back in net performance boost.

cheers

So very true. Especially with diminishing returns... Just because something costs twice as much, doesn't mean it's twice as good(though sometimes it can). When I auditioned A/B the LCD2 and LCD3 through The Cable Co. lending library, I honest to God preferred the LCD2 with my setup, just better synergy to my ears, and the LCD2 costs half as much as the 3. It's all so subjective anyway, ymmv and all that.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #8,065 of 9,207
So very true. Especially with diminishing returns... Just because something costs twice as much, doesn't mean it's twice as good(though sometimes it can). When I auditioned the LCD2 and LCD3 through The Cable Co. lending library, I honest to God preferred the LCD2 with my setup, just better synergy to my ears, and the LCD2 costs half as much as the 3. It's all so subjective anyway, ymmv and all that.

+1.  I did not like the LCD-3, and its price vs. LCD-2.2 exemplifies the Law of DR.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #8,067 of 9,207

+1.  I did not like the LCD-3, and its price vs. LCD-2.2 exemplifies the Law of DR.

@mikoss felt the same way. So glad I didn't pony-up the extra grand. Ofc there'll be a ton of dissenters - Tyll (himself!) claims the 3 does just about everything better.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8,068 of 9,207
  @mikoss felt the same way. So glad I didn't pony-up the extra grand. Ofc there'll be a ton of dissenters - Tyll (himself!) claims the 3 does just about everything better.

If I remember right, Tyll also said that, if LCD-3 did not exist, he still would be quite content to live with the LCD-2 as a flagship-calibre HP. Hinting perhaps that the diff he heard may not be substantial to warrant the diff in moola back then.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #8,069 of 9,207

If I remember right, Tyll also said that, if LCD-3 did not exist, he still would be quite content to live with the LCD-2 as a flagship-calibre HP. Hinting perhaps that the diff he heard may not be substantial to warrant the diff in moola back then.

Quite right. Sounds like we're both happy with the LCD-2. IMO they're desert-island calibre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back