Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #7,876 of 9,207
  I've spent many hours listening to my LCD-2 through the Magni and they certainly play very well together. The brightness is largely tamed by the LCD-2 and the sound is super detailed and sweet.

Just want to update: my LCD-2s came in and I'm listening to them right now through the Magni/Modi. You were right, it sounds absolutely fantastic. This is way better than anything I've ever listened to in the past. I can only wonder how they'll sound once I upgrade to a top tier amp/DAC.

Out of curiosity, how many adjustment notches (not sure there's a better word for that... the little metal bar that lets you raise or lower each can) do you all use when wearing the headphones? I'm still trying to find the best adjustment for my own head. They actually fit comfortably at several different positions, but I'm noticing changes in sound signature at the different elevations (as with all headphones, I suppose), so I'm wondering what other people tend to use. Obviously it'll vary based on head shape and size, but I'm still curious.

Also, do you generally try to keep the headband at the center of the top of your head, or the back of your head, or elsewhere?

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #7,877 of 9,207
  Just want to update: my LCD-2s came in and I'm listening to them right now through the Magni/Modi. You were right, it sounds absolutely fantastic. I can only wonder how they'll sound once I upgrade to a top tier amp/DAC.

Out of curiosity, how many adjustment notches (not sure there's a better word for that... the little metal bar that lets you raise or lower each can) do you all use when wearing the headphones? I'm still trying to find the best adjustment for my own head. They actually fit comfortably at several different positions, but I'm noticing changes in sound signature at the different elevations, so I'm wondering what other people tend to use. Obviously it'll be vary based on head shape, but I'm still curious.

My LCD's came with http://www.ebay.com/itm/181620833688?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

so I use the last extender to give myself a ton of room (I have a relatively large head).

I recommend you listen to the headphones for a bit before settling on an amp. alternatively, you can buy from a place with a return policy so that you can A/B amps (my recommendation is to check out the LYR+ some tubes or the Gustard H10)

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,878 of 9,207
I slide the headphones back on my head, so the front of the pad is basically against my ear, so it has to be real close to centered on my ears at 2 notches. Works well for me, looks better that way too :p.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #7,880 of 9,207
  Just want to update: my LCD-2s came in and I'm listening to them right now through the Magni/Modi. You were right, it sounds absolutely fantastic. This is way better than anything I've ever listened to in the past. I can only wonder how they'll sound once I upgrade to a top tier amp/DAC.

Out of curiosity, how many adjustment notches (not sure there's a better word for that... the little metal bar that lets you raise or lower each can) do you all use when wearing the headphones? I'm still trying to find the best adjustment for my own head. They actually fit comfortably at several different positions, but I'm noticing changes in sound signature at the different elevations (as with all headphones, I suppose), so I'm wondering what other people tend to use. Obviously it'll vary based on head shape and size, but I'm still curious.

Also, do you generally try to keep the headband at the center of the top of your head, or the back of your head, or elsewhere?

Glad you like the combo! I know I love it.

I have a rather massive head, so I wear mine on the second to last position on the gimbals. I've found that they need to sit with the band on the exact top of my head or else it starts to hurt after a few minutes.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #7,881 of 9,207
  Glad you like the combo! I know I love it.

I have a rather massive head, so I wear mine on the second to last position on the gimbals. I've found that they need to sit with the band on the exact top of my head or else it starts to hurt after a few minutes.

I have a quite small head, so I've been shifting between the 2nd and 3rd positions on the gimbals. Still deciding which is best.

Regarding an amp to upgrade to: I'm still unsure which direction I should go in. I'm pretty sure I am sensitive to treble and brightness (I'm pretty young, under 24, which might play a role). The Magni/Modi with my DT-880s sounded way too bright to me, but they sound perfect with the (pre-Fazor) LCD-2s, with no instances of harsh treble at all.

I assume if I upgrade to the Bryston BHA-1, I'll also very likely enjoy them a lot with the LCD-2s. However, I do plan on buying other headphones some day, and I'd like to not have to buy a new amp for the new headphones if I can help it. Based on numerous reviews of the BHA-1 with other headphones, I fear the BHA-1 in combination with some cans that aren't as dark as the LCD-2 could very likely be too harsh for me, so I'm trying to find a middleground solid state amp which will sound really good with the LCD-2s but still be acceptable for LCD-3Fs or even maybe the HD 800.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's probably going to be between either the Mjolnir, Soloist, or possibly one of the Violectric ones. Auralic Taurus seems interesting too. I'm open to anything under $2000 though.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #7,882 of 9,207
I'm using Violectric V200 + Resonessence Labs Concero HD as a DAC with LCD 2F. I think the soloist is too warm for LCD2.
Under $2000, if you have budget, I would recommend to go for Violectric V281 since V200 is matched with Audeze and HD800 in my opinion. It also depends on your DAC. I'm using the Concero HD that using ESS9018-2M Dac chip, very very superb implementation.

The Mjolnir is a great amp but it's quite aggressive IMO.

So good luck for your selection and happy listening.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #7,883 of 9,207
I have a quite small head, so I've been shifting between the 2nd and 3rd positions on the gimbals. Still deciding which is best.

Regarding an amp to upgrade to: I'm still unsure which direction I should go in. I'm pretty sure I am sensitive to treble and brightness (I'm pretty young, under 24, which might play a role). The Magni/Modi with my DT-880s sounded way too bright to me, but they sound perfect with the (pre-Fazor) LCD-2s, with no instances of harsh treble at all.

I assume if I upgrade to the Bryston BHA-1, I'll also very likely enjoy them a lot with the LCD-2s. However, I do plan on buying other headphones some day, and I'd like to not have to buy a new amp for the new headphones if I can help it. Based on numerous reviews of the BHA-1 with other headphones, I fear the BHA-1 in combination with some cans that aren't as dark as the LCD-2 could very likely be too harsh for me, so I'm trying to find a middleground solid state amp which will sound really good with the LCD-2s but still be acceptable for LCD-3Fs or even maybe the HD 800.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's probably going to be between either the Mjolnir, Soloist, or possibly one of the Violectric ones. Auralic Taurus seems interesting too. I'm open to anything under $2000 though.

The iFi gears, for that money I'll check out the iFi Retro 50, which I haven't heard, but the LCD-2F (had it for 1 month) sounded wonderful on the iFi nano iDSD.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #7,884 of 9,207
So, anyone have any quick input on the Grace Design m920 or SPL Phonitor 2?  My current setup is an Asus Essence STX as my DAC with a Schiit Lyr as my amp.  I'm interested in getting a good amp that has built in crossfeed support.  I love the options of the Phonitor 2, but I like how the Grace is a DAC/AMP combo, is cheaper, and I can order from HeadRoom and return if I choose I don't like it.  

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #7,885 of 9,207
How does the LCD 2 pair up with the Lyr 2? I'm planning to use this combo with my x5(I listen to rock,electronic, edm,rap and classical, also like a deep thundering bass performance).I currently have the e12+momentum, bass is very good on these for me :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #7,886 of 9,207
The Lyr was practically designed for the LCD-2's. There's no bass boost like the E12 offers (idk if you're using that), but you could roll tubes I'm sure to get something you like.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,887 of 9,207
  I assume if I upgrade to the Bryston BHA-1, I'll also very likely enjoy them a lot with the LCD-2s. However, I do plan on buying other headphones some day, and I'd like to not have to buy a new amp for the new headphones if I can help it. Based on numerous reviews of the BHA-1 with other headphones, I fear the BHA-1 in combination with some cans that aren't as dark as the LCD-2 could very likely be too harsh for me, so I'm trying to find a middle ground solid state amp which will sound really good with the LCD-2s but still be acceptable for LCD-3Fs or even maybe the HD 800.

I'll chime in. I own the BHA-1 and can say without a doubt it works very well with Grado cans (which tend to be on the bright side. Which is why I bring this up. As I have heard from others that they love this amp with the HD800). In fact the BHA-1 gave my Grado 325's new life. They sound amazing with this amp. In fact every headphone I have plugged into it sounds awesome. But my LCD-2 R2 seem as if they were made just for the BHA-1. Simply amazing.

The only thing about the BHA-1 you should know if you don't already is it is best to use a balanced cable with this amp. Makes quite a big difference. Even if you are only feeding the amp with a SE source.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7,888 of 9,207

I'll chime in. I own the BHA-1 and can say without a doubt it works very well with Grado cans (which tend to be on the bright side. Which is why I bring this up. As I have heard from others that they love this amp with the HD800). In fact the BHA-1 gave my Grado 325's new life. They sound amazing with this amp. In fact every headphone I have plugged into it sounds awesome. But my LCD-2 R2 seem as if they were made just for the BHA-1. Simply amazing.

The only thing about the BHA-1 you should know if you don't already is it is best to use a balanced cable with this amp. Makes quite a big difference. Even if you are only feeding the amp with a SE source.

I have definitely read the reviews of the BHA-1, and it's certainly tempting. I know it's a great amp. But I also read many complaints about sizzling treble when in use with bright headphones.

Of course, I do have the option of EQing some of the treble down, but it would feel kind of wrong to spend well over $2000 on, say, the HD 800, BHA-1, and some DAC, and then artificially neuter it. I do obviously want to optimize my listening experience with the LCD-2, but amps are pricey enough that I don't want to buy this now and then have to go and throw down another $1000-2000 on another amp while also spending $1000-2000 on another pair of headphones.

I am willing to give it a shot; it might be a long time before I buy a different pair of headphones. It's also quite possible the HD 800 is simply not for me (though I have not auditioned it yet, so can't be sure) and should be avoided.

What balanced DAC would you recommend with the BHA-1, preferably under $1500 (and honestly, preferably a lot cheaper than that even, but I'll spend that much if necessary)?

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #7,889 of 9,207

I have definitely read the reviews of the BHA-1, and it's certainly tempting. I know it's a great amp. But I also read many complaints about sizzling treble when in use with bright headphones.

Of course, I do have the option of EQing some of the treble down, but it would feel kind of wrong to spend well over $2000 on, say, the HD 800, BHA-1, and some DAC, and then artificially neuter it. I do obviously want to optimize my listening experience with the LCD-2, but amps are pricey enough that I don't want to buy this now and then have to go and throw down another $1000-2000 on another amp while also spending $1000-2000 on another pair of headphones.

I am willing to give it a shot; it might be a long time before I buy a different pair of headphones. It's also quite possible the HD 800 is simply not for me (though I have not auditioned it yet, so can't be sure) and should be avoided.

What balanced DAC would you recommend with the BHA-1, preferably under $1500 (and honestly, preferably a lot cheaper than that even, but I'll spend that much if necessary)?

Look at the Gustard H10 - it's been compared favourably to amps that cost many times its price, including the V200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back