Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7,351 of 9,207
V200 vs Soloist SL comparison, anyone?

I found a good thread comparing the two with the LCD2, but the poster was talking about the Soloist.

What attracts me to the Soloist SL is that I've heard it is a slightly warm SS like the V200, the soundstage is also meant to be bigger. Fun instead of detail retrieval etc. is more important to me, though.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #7,352 of 9,207
  Hello, and apologies for late reply.

Yes it was quite painful. Not that difficult but it requires patience and care. The soldering job is not a problem, but unscrewing and tearing the amp's PCB down is not easy.

After that you can replace the 8*330 Ohm 5W resistor, which are very poor. I chose Kiwame, they are well built, heavy and sound excellent.
I've also upgraded the 4 Wima MKP coupling caps for Audyn true copper caps (decent prices, good reports on the net). You can also choose Russian NOS paper in oil caps. Just increase the capacitance for a slightly better bass response, but beware of the space inside the chassis (some caps are huge).
You can find some tweaks and reviews on the MK VI's thread, and I'll post some photos some day.

For the improvements, unfortunately I've done the 2 tweaks at the same time, so dunno who's who.
The VI's big soundstage became bigger, more air in the stereo image, more defined and better bass. The neutrality of the circuit is still there, but everything is more natural, more defined and refined. The highs are less dry, and more detail retention. And finally there was an increase in dynamic.
It's indeed a big big improvement in sound quality, affordable, and with no drawbacks for me (the tweas stays at your own risk). One MUST give it a try before selling the amp, or ask Sword Yang at Little Dot to build a custom MK VI+ (you just send him the parts).
And the differences in tubes are more obvious.

Thank you for the reply! This is very helpful.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #7,354 of 9,207
  V200 vs Soloist SL comparison, anyone?

I found a good thread comparing the two with the LCD2, but the poster was talking about the Soloist.

What attracts me to the Soloist SL is that I've heard it is a slightly warm SS like the V200, the soundstage is also meant to be bigger. Fun instead of detail retrieval etc. is more important to me, though.

The SL is supposed to have the same signature as the big Soloist. I made some notes when I compared the Soloist & V200 with LCD2r2 about a year ago. I guess you could call the Soloist slightly warm, but compared to the V200, Soloist was quite colourless (the mental image of instruments to me was like watching black&white TV).

Soloist had more defined bass instrument textures and higher resolution treble, but V200 was a way more 'musical' and fun listen.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7,358 of 9,207
  I'm looking to get a new amp for my LCD2Rev2 and HD800. I can get the Violectric V200 and the Schiit Lyr for the same price. Using a Bifrost Uber with USB as DAC.

anyone can compare between the two amps? thanks

If you can get the lyr and v200 for the same price I think the V200 is the no brainer there.  But that might just be me.  They are supposed to be at competely different price points.  

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,359 of 9,207
^ As well I think either suits the slightly dry but quick bifrost. Based on my experiences with Lyr and V100, Violectric gives a hint of warmth and of course the Lyr can be whatever you want.

Perhaps the main difference is the Lyr's many tube-rolling options. Can be a mixed blessing though...

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #7,360 of 9,207
After many years and much money, of searching for "Audio Nirvana" via the full range speaker with separate tube components I inadvertently stumbled on the Audeze LCD 2's. My only other exposure to this type of listening experience was a pair of Quad ESL 67's. It is very difficult to overcome the room influences in a full home stereo system.
I first tried the LCD 2's with  Music Fidelity's MPHA 1 headphone amp and at that time, thought I was blown away. I started reading about the power requirements for these ortho's and how they could be connected to the speaker outputs of a power amp, using a divider network. I purchased a small tube amp from Sophia Electric called the "BABY". It is 10 watts/ch in triode mode. I hooked up my LCD 2's using an 8ohm resistor in parallel. All I can say is WHOW!!!!
This amp retails for around $800.00 USD but can be picked up used for between 4-5 hundred. The only mods I had done were to replace the coupling caps with a Russian paper in oil. Much smoother.
This amp gets quite good reviews on various sites but no mention of it being used in this type of application. In all honesty I have never enjoyed my music so much even in comparison to my $50,000.00 plus full range speaker system. 
If you have the chance give it a try and post your thoughts.

That inexpensive little amp is unbelievably good with Audeze. Used it with my LCD-2.2, LCD-3C, LCD-X, and now LCD-3F. Especially when you do a few simple mods (be careful, the PCB is very fragile). No noise, superb dynamics, wonderful tone, great PRAT -when called for. Even has a 3.5mm headphone jack on the front face. And the wood trim is Zebrano to match my LCD-3. :)

In the Sophia Baby, replace the 2 stock rectifiers in the voltage doubler PS with high voltage Schottky's, RCA inputs with Eichmann, trash the stock Chinese tubes and get good 1960-70s vintage Soviet Military 6N1P-EV and 6P1P-EV tubes on Ebay. Did that to my $150 Meng Music Angel (same amp as the Sophia) along with copper Obbligato coupling caps and it slayed my Mjolnir. Better highs, better bass, more emotion in the music. BTW, the Sophia is PP 6P6P pentode wired.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Angel-Meng-MINIP1-6P1-x-4-Push-Pull-Valve-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-BK-/310818347087?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item485e37984f

I've since built my own PP 6V6 triode strapped amp with ElectraPrint Partial Silver OPTs that is quite a bit better. But that little Meng Music Angel can really hold its own. Its a sweet little amp. Even used it as my everyday amp to drive my Altec Model 19s.

May 1, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #7,361 of 9,207
So after 20 votes in the LCD 2 amp poll ($200-$1000 category), we're starting to see certain amps dominate:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716576/head-fis-favourite-amp-for-the-audeze-lcd-2-200-1000-poll

I'm quite surprised by how well Schiit Lyr is doing! In the $1000-$2000 category after 11 votes we're not yet seeing any one amp dominate to such a large extent:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716577/head-fis-favourite-amp-for-the-audeze-lcd-2-1000-2000-poll

If you haven't voted yet and are interested, please vote in these polls! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #7,364 of 9,207
ochei!
it could be a funny game
but i mean: i have a conductor, for me it drive well the audezes
better than the 2/3 others i had before
but i m quiet sure there is something that can do a better job..
(cavalli liquid for example, that is not in the list, or redwine, or taurus.. etc etc.. and for sure someones that i even don t know)

May 1, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #7,365 of 9,207
^ the polls are capped at $1000 and $2000 respectively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back