Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 29, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #106 of 9,207
I have one on preorder. Thought you guys knew that :wink:

Thought it would be easy to sort out headphones in regard of how warm/cold they are. I find it quite easy with mine. Maybe I am the only one having that skill lol

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #107 of 9,207

Quote:
I have one on preorder. Thought you guys knew that :wink:

Thought it would be easy to sort out headphones in regard of how warm/cold they are. I find it quite easy with mine. Maybe I am the only one having that skill lol

Not at all, it's just that it's difficult to fairly pigeon hole the general sonic coloration of these things because they don't fit in any traditional pigeon holes.  Calling something bright implies it's peaky, not detailed, calling something forward implies it's recessed in treble or bass or both, calling something warm implies details are missing, which they're not.

Do you have a sonic pigeon hole for neutral, but without lack in any area of the spectrum?

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #108 of 9,207
I think that's the issue - I find the LCD-2 to be very neutral.  I wouldn't describe them as either warm or cold.  I think they're very neutral. 

But I wouldn't describe the Ed 8 as warm or cold, either, that's the rub.  They for sure are not as neutral as the LCD-2.  But I can't really describe them as being either generally warm, or generally cold.

I found the HD800 to be a little cold.  I find the DX1000 to be a little warm.  The LCD-2 is right down the middle.  It has excellent bass weight and extension, but that does not make it warm in my estimation.

I don't know if that helps...

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #109 of 9,207
That helps a bit except I haven´t heard the HD 800 of course. T1 is that also a bit on the brighter side of things compared to the LCD-2 overall? For dumb listening that is when you just listen to music don´t dig deep.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #110 of 9,207
Quote:
How do you think the LCD-2 would perform with my EF-5? I know this amp has more than enough power, even though it's probably not the last word in sound quality. I'm interested in the LCD-2 because I already have this amp designed specifically for orthos...

I would also be interested in an answer to this, has anyone heard the LCD-2/EF5 combo?

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #111 of 9,207
i would wait for the upcoming amp, not yet officially disclosed, from schiit audio...
it should power the lc2 and he-6 without compromise, at a ludicrously reasonable price.
probably sometime next year though... something to keep an eye out for.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #112 of 9,207

Quote:
i would wait for the upcoming amp, not yet officially disclosed, from schiit audio...
it should power the lc2 and he-6 without compromise, at a ludicrously reasonable price.
probably sometime next year though... something to keep an eye out for.

You mean there's something besides the Asgard and Valhalla coming?

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #114 of 9,207

Quote:
That helps a bit except I haven´t heard the HD 800 of course. T1 is that also a bit on the brighter side of things compared to the LCD-2 overall? For dumb listening that is when you just listen to music don´t dig deep.

I have never found the T1 bright, although some people seem to.  I think of the T1 also as being incredibly natural sounding.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #115 of 9,207

Quote:
No no the specs are for the Rudi NX-03.  Won't even hurt your head with the other SS numbers on the site.  Don't want to revive the war from 04 between Rudi and Gilmore but yes the PCB quality is not great.  Though supposedly normal the amp was also a good alternative to acid for erasing finger prints or melting down solder 
wink_face.gif

The model wasn't stopped, it was upgraded now sold as a quad tube model RP-8 for $1700.

The 'War of '04' sounds like a very interesting thread. Like you said, best not to go there. However, your comments on the Rudistor amps interest me. The Rudistor models are based around Opamps, yes?

So if someone was after a quality solid state amplifier that is NOT based around Opamps, what are we left with?
The Luxman P-1u? The Violectrics? The Phonitor? Lehmann Black Cube? Grace Design m902? Schiit models? Are any of these a fit? Apart from the Lehmann (which someone has commented on positively), has anyone tried these with the LCD-2s yet? Other solid state options of the non-kit, non Opamp variety?

Some links on each of the amps mentioned above: Luxman P-1u, Violectric, Lehmann Audio, Schiit, Phonitor, and Grace.

If I was to succumb to the lure of tubes again (never say never), I must say that the the Leben CS300X looks like a contender. Skylab's comments seem to give weight to his view:

Quote:
"The Leben CS300X has made me re-think what's possible from a headphone amp in general, and tube amps in specific.  While it has a highly musical, engaging sound, it's not the least bit tubey or syrupy - in fact it's astonishingly neutral and transparent.  Due to its being push-pull, and transformer-coupled, it works well with a wide variety of headphones.  It drove my LCD-2, DX1000, T1, W1000X, Ed 8, and D7000 all better than I had ever heard before.  It's so good I wish I had one in every room."

KWKARTH- your comments on the sound signature (or lack?) of the LCD-2s are excellent and really help in the quest for suitable associated equipment. Thank you!

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #116 of 9,207
From my experience, Grace m902 was not a good match with the LCD-2. It sounded thin, lacked 3d image/layering, punch, etc. It wasn't bad or anything, just doesn't really show what the LCD-2 is capable of. LCD-2 is a weird, picky headphone to power. I say weird because it sounds fine straight out of an ipod, but give it wrong amplification and it would sound bland. I'm not sure what it wants.  

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #117 of 9,207

Quote:
...So if someone was after a quality solid state amplifier that is NOT based around Opamps, what are we left with?
The Luxman P-1u? The Violectrics? The Phonitor? Lehmann Black Cube? Grace Design m902? Are any of these a fit? Apart from the Lehmann (which someone has commented on positively), has anyone tried these with the LCD-2s yet? Other solid state options of the non-kit, non Opamp variety?

If I was to succumb to the lure of tubes again (never say never), I must say that the the Leben CS300X looks like a contender. Skylab's comments seem to give weight to his view:

KWKARTH- your comments on the sound signature (or lack?) of the LCD-2s are excellent and really help in the quest for suitable associated equipment. Thank you!

Thanks, if you're wanting to consider non op-amp based SS amps, why isn't the Asgard on this list?

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #119 of 9,207

Quote:
From my experience, Grace m902 was not a good match with the LCD-2. It sounded thin, lacked 3d image/layering, punch, etc. It wasn't bad or anything, just doesn't really show what the LCD-2 is capable of. LCD-2 is a weird, picky headphone to power. I say weird because it sounds fine straight out of an ipod, but give it wrong amplification and it would sound bland. I'm not sure what it wants.  

That's a good tip on the Grace, thanks. I wonder if the mixed results you are getting is because of the neutral/revealing nature of the LCD-2s?

Info on the Grace M902 - HERE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back