Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 19, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #211 of 9,207

Quote:
question: posted this in the LCD-2 thread, but the question seems to have been overlooked. I was wondering if these specs of the M-stage would be able to power the LCD-2? I'm not sure how to read the technical specs. Also, I wouldn't want them to just power, I'd be looking more at whether it has enough power to sufficiently drive the LCD-2s to it's potential. Any help is appreciated.

1. Frequency Response: 10 Hz (-0.3dB) ~ 35kHz (-1dB)
  2. Signal to Noise Ratio: >95dB (0dB)
  3. Distortion: <0.001% (6 mW/300 Ohms)
  4. Input Impedance: 47 kOhms
  5. Output Impedance: Line-out 60 Ohms, Phone-out 5 OhmsTechnically, probasbly 
  6. Output Power: 200 mW/300 Ohms, 400 mW/60 Ohms

Technically, probably yes, but you will not have any real idea how it will sound until you buy is and put it in your system.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #212 of 9,207

Quote:
Technically, probably yes, but you will not have any real idea how it will sound until you buy is and put it in your system.

bummer, but thank kwkarth. I'm considering having a look at these orthos, but I don't really want to spend that much without knowing if it will work and then regretting it. Just trying to make as informed a choice as I possibly can.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #213 of 9,207
I've had my LCD-2's and V200 for a few weeks now, and have been very happy with the combo. I can't find any major faults, which I feel is the best compliment. So far I find the V200 to be quick, dynamic, and musical. I'm enjoying it more then my DNA Sonett with these headphones.

Thanks, Satacore. Do you feel that the V200 is effortless (that it has enough headroom, so to speak, and grunt) when powering the LCD-2s? Does it sound harsh or hard, or conversely, soft in it's presentation with the LCD-2s? Is detail retrieval good without being over-analytical? Is the V200's fit and finish OK?

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #215 of 9,207

Quote:
Anyone know what the Alo Rx does into 50 ohm?  Just how good an amp is it with the LCD-2?

The Rx works remarkably well driving the LCD-2s, but it obviously doesn't have the power of something like the Asgard.  It's on a par with the original RSA SR-71.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #216 of 9,207
^^ Agreed..though I wouldn't suggest the Asgard for the LCD-2. Doesn't complement well IMHO. Even for those on a budget,i'd say look elsewhere for an amp to pair with the LCD-2.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #217 of 9,207

Quote:
^^ Agreed..though I wouldn't suggest the Asgard for the LCD-2. Doesn't complement well IMHO. Even for those on a budget,i'd say look elsewhere for an amp to pair with the LCD-2.

I feel the Asgard works very, very well for the LCD-2.  I wonder why our opinions differ on this so much?

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #218 of 9,207

Quote:
I feel the Asgard works very, very well for the LCD-2.  I wonder why our opinions differ on this so much?

Hey Kevin. From what I heard, the Asgard works great for the HE-5. I would heartily recommend it for that headphone (and the HE-5LE as apparently they share similar characteristics ). I think I have made my observations known on the Asgard with the LCD-2 in the latter's thread.

edit: Kevin, I would love to sit down once again with your  asgard and LCD-2 and be proven wrong. I think the Asgard is a game changer and an extremely well thought out amp for an incredible price. Just din't hear it working well with the LCD-2.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #219 of 9,207
I also didn't feel like the Asgard had good synergy with the LCD2 (even after 40+ hrs burn-in), thus why I returned it. I'm sure it does great with Grado's and Senn HD6xx's though. I still prefer my D10 with the LCD2. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #220 of 9,207

Quote:
Hey Kevin. From what I heard, the Asgard works great for the HE-5. I would heartily recommend it for that headphone (and the HE-5LE as apparently they share similar characteristics ). I think I have made my observations known on the Asgard with the LCD-2 in the latter's thread.

edit: Kevin, I would love to sit down once again with your  asgard and LCD-2 and be proven wrong. I think the Asgard is a game changer and an extremely well thought out amp for an incredible price. Just din't hear it working well with the LCD-2.

Surprisingly, both the LCD-1 and the LCD-2 sound pretty nice to my ears on the Asgard.  The HE-5LE, on the other hand does not sound too good on the Asgard, but on the other hand, sounds quite nice on the Meier Aria.  I don't have an explanation for this yet...

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #221 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks, Satacore. Do you feel that the V200 is effortless (that it has enough headroom, so to speak, and grunt) when powering the LCD-2s? Does it sound harsh or hard, or conversely, soft in it's presentation with the LCD-2s? Is detail retrieval good without being over-analytical? Is the V200's fit and finish OK?

Yes, I think it drives them pretty effortlessly. The amp has good dynamics and punch. I wouldn't say it sounds particularly hard or soft. It's fairly neutral with a very musical sound. Yes, I definitely feel detail retrieval is good without being analytical. Fit and finish are nice in a industrial sort of way. The soldering seemed a tad bit sloppy, but otherwise I think it's a very nice little package.

Hope that helps.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #222 of 9,207
You know what i noticed about Santicore's V200, it disappeared.  That's perfect!
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #223 of 9,207

Quote:
Surprisingly, both the LCD-1 and the LCD-2 sound pretty nice to my ears on the Asgard.  The HE-5LE, on the other hand does not sound too good on the Asgard, but on the other hand, sounds quite nice on the Meier Aria.  I don't have an explanation for this yet...

I wasn't able to listen very critically to the Asgard, since I didn't get to it until the ending of the meet and I only heard about 3 minutes of it.  It also wasn't with source material that I was completely familiar with.  It and the Protector kinda surprised me a little though, in a good way, and I wouldn't mind getting a chance to listen to them again.

On another note, the Stacker lives again!  Long live the Stacker!

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #225 of 9,207

Quote:
Don't mess with anything that is working.

Golden words to live by. 
beerchug.gif

Two other rigs I should mention that sounded good during limited listening at the meet were Kingstyles' rig with an Isabellina, and I liked the tone from the Weiss DAC 202 straight out of the DAC's headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back