Amp for Earsonics SM3, Otofon EQ&, Sony EX1000
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 5
What's your budget? The best portable amps I've tried are the LISA III (barely qualifies as portable) and the Meier Stepdance. Both are extremely good amplifiers and worked great at least with my SM3. If you need something slightly smaller, the Headstage Arrow sounded great to my ears. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 5
I really hope to find some info regarding this also. I've searched all over head-fi and not only in order to find some info on any amp that could suit the EX1000. Nothing. Only assumptions. I would be happy to add some depth and quantity to the low end and smooth out the treble of the EX1000.

I'm using a Sony Z1050 DAP known also for being neutral and a good amp would help a lot, but all info I find is about balanced armature iems feed by amps. Very little info on amping dynamic based iems.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
The EX1000 isn't a hard to drive earphone. If you want to smooth out the top end, EQ it. The new Sony has decent control over earphones, but not great control. Balanced armatures are its massive achilles heel. If you want as much resolution and control as you can have for an IEM without breaking the bank, an iBasso T3D is great. It's my reference for portable earphones: low noise, high resolution, small, and pocketable. 

Still, a good DAP that can actually drive good signal to most earphones is a better investment as you don't really need an amp for audible improvements. And again, the EX1000 shouldn't need an amp even on the new Sony. The Sony should be fine as it is unless things have gone really wrong in Sony camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back