Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #451 of 950
Hi aminus.
If you had to pick one between Hidition Viento, and u12t for BA iems, which one will you prefer?

Reading from your review, i got the impressions that u12t have slightly more bass quantity (with similar quality?)

But what about mid, high, and technicalities?

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #452 of 950
Hi aminus.
If you had to pick one between Hidition Viento, and u12t for BA iems, which one will you prefer?

Reading from your review, i got the impressions that u12t have slightly more bass quantity (with similar quality?)

But what about mid, high, and technicalities?
Which one I’d prefer... That’s like picking my favorite child. Both are excellent, really, and it’d come down to personal preferences as to what to recommend to a given person. The U12t is slightly thick and slightly downsloping save the pick up in the upper treble, a more agreeable tonality in general, but perhaps too dark or suppressed in the upper midrange for some. The Viento is bright and lean with tons of upper mids and mid-treble, enough to turn off some people.

Regarding bass quality, with BA bass you’re always compromising something. With the U12t you get extension but trade off proper thick slam, texturing, layering, transients and timbre. With Viento you get something very close to DD bass transients and control, but you don’t get the extension nor do you get the timbre, texture or layering. Ultimately no BA bass gets all of these right - if you want all of those then DD is the way to go.

Technicalities wise I would say they’re very close, but give the nod to the U12t. It’s very good with microdetail stuff and dynamics, ahead of possibly every other full BA on the market. I’d need to revisit the VE8 to confirm this but as it stands I think the U12t does those things better than anything else I have heard in recent memory. The Viento’s dynamics, as I have noted, as just behind the U12t and its younger (or older?) brother the NT-6. Not by a massive margin, but a margin nonetheless.

On the other hand, the Viento’s texturing is way more upfront and aggressive than the U12t. Some people will prefer this. It’s more outwardly resolving of surface texture, especially in the upper mids. It also has a more coherent tonality than the U12t. Not to say that the U12t is incoherent, but the upper midrange on it sounds slightly veiled at times. I suspect this is thanks to the suppression past 2.2khz as well as the lack of mid treble, but in any case the Viento doesn’t have this or anything similar in any other frequency range. I hesitate to call it this, but it feels better tuned.

Also, don’t forget price. You can grab a Viento for a literal fraction of the U12t’s asking price, if you know where to look. Though admittedly knowing where to look is the difficult bit in this situation. In which case it comes down to availability and resourcefulness.

Hope this helps.

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #453 of 950
Which one I’d prefer... That’s like picking my favorite child. Both are excellent, really, and it’d come down to personal preferences as to what to recommend to a given person. The U12t is slightly thick and slightly downsloping save the pick up in the upper treble, a more agreeable tonality in general, but perhaps too dark or suppressed in the upper midrange for some. The Viento is bright and lean with tons of upper mids and mid-treble, enough to turn off some people.

Regarding bass quality, with BA bass you’re always compromising something. With the U12t you get extension but trade off proper thick slam, texturing, layering, transients and timbre. With Viento you get something very close to DD bass transients and control, but you don’t get the extension nor do you get the timbre, texture or layering. Ultimately no BA bass gets all of these right - if you want all of those then DD is the way to go.

Technicalities wise I would say they’re very close, but give the nod to the U12t. It’s very good with microdetail stuff and dynamics, ahead of possibly every other full BA on the market. I’d need to revisit the VE8 to confirm this but as it stands I think the U12t does those things better than anything else I have heard in recent memory. The Viento’s dynamics, as I have noted, as just behind the U12t and its younger (or older?) brother the NT-6. Not by a massive margin, but a margin nonetheless.

On the other hand, the Viento’s texturing is way more upfront and aggressive than the U12t. Some people will prefer this. It’s more outwardly resolving of surface texture, especially in the upper mids. It also has a more coherent tonality than the U12t. Not to say that the U12t is incoherent, but the upper midrange on it sounds slightly veiled at times. I suspect this is thanks to the suppression past 2.2khz as well as the lack of mid treble, but in any case the Viento doesn’t have this or anything similar in any other frequency range. I hesitate to call it this, but it feels better tuned.

Also, don’t forget price. You can grab a Viento for a literal fraction of the U12t’s asking price, if you know where to look. Though admittedly knowing where to look is the difficult bit in this situation. In which case it comes down to availability and resourcefulness.

Hope this helps.
Buddy, S8?
giphy.gif

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #454 of 950

Hope this helps.

Yes, for sure this helps.

Also I noticed that for the 12t you prefer the universal over the custom (because the tuning is different?)

Yet, for viento you went custom route (again? Will i see same pattern? :laughing:),
What do you think is the viento custom model's advantage over the universal?

I get that better fit from ciem will alter the impressions of bass/treble, but for Viento's case, is custom a must to harness the full potential of it?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #455 of 950
Buddy, S8?
giphy.gif
Coming soon. I've been hit by another flu (yeah, I know, how fortuitous) so I'm out of commission again this week. Wasn't even able to make the MMR event yesterday because of it.

Yes, for sure this helps.

Also I noticed that for the 12t you prefer the universal over the custom (because the tuning is different?)

Yet, for viento you went custom route (again? Will i see same pattern? :laughing:),
What do you think is the viento custom model's advantage over the universal? Aside the usual one like fit/sealing... Like is the tuning somehow "better" ?:)
Regarding the universal/custom thing for the 12t, the main issue I had with my A12t was that my initial unit radically differed in sound from the universal units I had tried before buying it. Upon sending it back to 64 for some retuning it does sound closer to the U12t, and I'm satisfied with it. I can't guarantee that you won't run into the same problem that I did, but if you do there at least seems to be the option of having 64 tweak the tuning a little.

As for the Viento, my unit is a secondhand CIEM that I have compared, both in listening and through graphs, with the UIEM demo. I prefer the sound of the CIEM as it lowers the mid treble a little bit and improves bass extension/slam. The UIEM is definitely a tad upsloping for me.

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #457 of 950
Hi aminus,

I am ciriuous how much you hate the Custom Art offerings Like Fibae 7 for example :)
Fairly ambivalent. To my knowledge the FIBAE 7 is supposed to be a reference monitor, and I can’t quite say I agree. A bit too dark and a tad thick to be anywhere near one. Aside from that, I find the technicalities and intangibles of Custom Art stuff rather middling. Not horrible, but nothing noteworthy either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #459 of 950
They are a fun IEM, bass can bleed into the mods for sure. If you want less bass and clarity try the Simgot EN700 pro. It has only one driver which was to my surprise but manages to sound more detailed and wider than many of the sub $100 ChiFi offerings with 4 and 5 drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #460 of 950
Animus, if you had to choose between the A12T, Viento-B, and Z1R which one would you pick? The Z1R to me sounded damn amazing but it just didn't fit my use case not being custom. Out of the three, I would probably choose the Viento-B. It fits perfectly in my ear and sounds great with my music which is mainly female vocalists from the kpop and jpop genre

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #461 of 950
I just bought a Sony z1r after reading the great reviews. The one on this thread stood out as several other top end iems get hammered but not the sony

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #462 of 950
I just bought a Sony z1r after reading the great reviews. The one on this thread stood out as several other top end iems get hammered but not the sony
If they fit you well I don't think you'll be disappointed. Quality wise (design, materials, build, fit&finish, presentation), the Z1R stands out in the current market for me.

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #463 of 950
I can’t guarantee it’ll fit your preferences like it does mine. It’s definitely a bit of a niche sound signature. That and the fit not working for a good number of people. But I think it’s easily the best IEM on the market today for what it’s meant to do.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #464 of 950
Well I like Sony stuff in general, and I like the much cheaper Sony n3. Hoping these are a big upgrade!

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #465 of 950
Well I like Sony stuff in general, and I like the much cheaper Sony n3. Hoping these are a big upgrade!
There’s definitely a familial similarity between the N3 and the Z1R. Chances are if you like the former, the latter will suit you just fine, unless the fit deems you unworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back