ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #211 of 1,084
So, the question is, do you buy the MKIII first or the CLAS? Or, do I just suck it up and get them together?  
L3000.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #212 of 1,084
So, the question is, do you buy the MKIII first or the CLAS? Or, do I just suck it up and get them together?  :L3000:

I can relate to that. Thinking about just getting the MKIII and Cryo LOD until I can fund the CLAS.
Wonder if anyone has anything to say about level (e.g. Scale of 1 to 10) of audio bliss between just LOD+MKIII vs. CLAS+MKIII?

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #213 of 1,084
::D Too many great toys and finite cash! Always a problem.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #214 of 1,084
Quote:
Hi slwiser, do you mind posting a picture of this setup? I am contemplating going the same route but need to know how you connect between dx100 and db2? Thanks.

These have been shown in some threads here before but here they are again...

Singled ended output into my Westone ES5...No balanced cable yet, it is coming.
I put my 4r cable on it to make sure that I wanted to purchase a balanced cable for the ES5 and I did. It knocks the noise floor down a bit but does not eliminate it on the ES5s with the Mk3.  The DX100 is dark with no hiss. The hiss is not something that is bothersome since it is so much in the background and only slightly heard between tracks.

Simple single ended output from the DX100 into the ALO Rx Mk3-b.  This cable can be used for digital input into the DB2 as well.  Then I would need a special adapting cable to go between the DB2 to Mk3.  The one shown above in a previous post.

The following shows the balanced adapter for the Westone 4r:

How to connect the DX100 to the iBass DB2?  I use the coax cable output of the DX100 into DB2 as shown here only here I am using the optical cable.  This is when I had the Fostex HP-P1.  This is a special optical cable made just to keep the cabling down.  The same cable that I used above for single ended input I can use for the digital input to the DB2.  Then I need a second cable, the one shown above in a previous post to connect the DB2 to the Mk3.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #216 of 1,084
Am I missing something here? Why would you wish to bypass the sabre dac chip just to pick up a balanced input to the Rx3?

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #217 of 1,084
Quote:
Am I missing something here? Why would you wish to bypass the sabre dac chip just to pick up a balanced input to the Rx3?

I'm guessing it's more a proof of concept that it's possible than anything else. Personally I'd can't imagine the benefits of balance to outweigh the performance of the 9018. What's in the iBasso DB2 anyway? Wolfson? Texas Instruments?

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #218 of 1,084
From memory it is twin wolfsons. I ca certainly agree with running balanced amplification out of the Rx3 but wouldn't personally bother chasing a balanced input when I was giving up the high resolution performance of the Sabre dac.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #220 of 1,084
Quote:
I am lost.

I'd buy one if I can get a suggestion to buy a balanced cable for my LCD-2.

Now that recent posts are talking about multiple components, I'm assuming you're still talking about the RxMk3 :D. Whiplash Audio, Moon Audio, or even Alo Audio should be able to do balanced cables for Audeze.

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/whiplash-custom-lcd-2-cable.html
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html
Think you have to mail ALO for the Kobiconn SR-71B-type balanced connector with their cables.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #221 of 1,084
Quote:
Now that recent posts are talking about multiple components, I'm assuming you're still talking about the RxMk3 :D. Whiplash Audio, Moon Audio, or even Alo Audio should be able to do balanced cables for Audeze.

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/whiplash-custom-lcd-2-cable.html
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html
Think you have to mail ALO for the Kobiconn SR-71B-type balanced connector with their cables.

Sorry, yeah, cables for the balanced out from the RX3 to the LCD-2.  Which jack option do I choose for the moon audio link?

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #222 of 1,084
Quote:
Sorry, yeah, cables for the balanced out from the RX3 to the LCD-2.  Which jack option do I choose for the moon audio link?

RSA connector.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #223 of 1,084
If you are starting to get into cables...do yourself a favor and get all cables terminated with Lemo or Hirose and then get short adaptors to stereo mini, Kobicon, XLR4 etc. To run from the Alo Rx3 you will need a Kobicon or commonly referred to as a RSA plug. That way you won't be having to re-buy new cables when you change amps.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #224 of 1,084
I posted this on the iBasso Pb2 page but thought that others may also like to read my thoughts. The test was done with IPod 7g classic to CLAS with either iBasso Pb2 running the HiFlight opamp kit or the Alo Rx3. Headphones were JH16 via TwAg v2.

Saw your post so thought that I should do a side by side comparison now that both amps are now fully burnt in.

The fist song up was by the Decemberists and it straight away told me that I needed to take the comparison seriously as the iBasso may have sounded better.

With this in mind I thought that I better go to a track that I know well and that is well recorded. For this I have chosen one of my favorites, Walk it Off by Angus and Julia Stone. This song has a great range of details from plucking of acoustic guitar strings to awesome female vocals to a punchy kick drum.

The first qualities that are quickly noticeable are the slightly forward mids of the PB2 as well as great speed on percussion. It has a very clean and fast signature to it. When changing back to the RX3 I notice a slightly heavier bass focus. This is not only in bass guitars and kick drums but also in the depth and thickness of Julia's voice. Julia still retains the slightly nasal tone but you get the feeling of her being more real and less cleansed as she may be in a studio.

Sound stage is slightly in favor of the RX3 but not an aweful lot in it. I had to check every now and then to check which amp I was using when trying to determine instrument placement etc.

Wow this is a tough match.

I think that my preference is going to go to the Rx3 because it has more detail all round. It is not immediately apparent as the slight mid forward of the iBasso innitially make this sound more detailed but once you get used to the increased bass quantity of the Rx3 you do realize that there is not only more bass but more detail across the whole spectrum.

Considering the cost difference of the two though....the iBasso would win with its clean snappy sound.

For those that are chasing the ultimate portable though...this round goes to the Alo Rx3. :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #225 of 1,084
Quote:
If you are starting to get into cables...do yourself a favor and get all cables terminated with Lemo or Hirose and then get short adaptors to stereo mini, Kobicon, XLR4 etc. To run from the Alo Rx3 you will need a Kobicon or commonly referred to as a RSA plug. That way you won't be having to re-buy new cables when you change amps.

No options to get them terminated those ways, where do I find them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back