ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #182 of 1,084
Thanksall for the input so far.   I should say I my IEM's have included Ety, V-Moda & Shure.  My next step will probably be Westone.  I highly value clarity, resolution and neutrality in SQ.  Have noticed a number of posts in various threads pointing out "darkness" or similar term as an attribute of the Mk2 in comparisons with the usual high-end suspects.  If the Mk3 "lifts the veil" a bit I would favor it.
Good point also about being ready to go balanced in the future but I wonder if what's left of my ancient rock-n-roll-ified hearing system would detect the differences enough to justify the cost in upgrades, cables, etc. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #183 of 1,084
One more thought - as I was not kidding about my hearing system it might just make sense to get the Mk3 since I do listen on the LOUD (but not damaging) side to get all the information coming through the 'phones and to increase perceived equality of volume in both ears.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #187 of 1,084
But it seems like this problem can be solved by a balanced out.

I used a balanced Twag with my JH16 and if you are sensitive to noise floors and listen at very low levels then balanced does not cure the initial problem. I personally do not find it an issue but could imagine that others may expect more from what is essentially the flagship portable amp.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #188 of 1,084
Here is what I have but I do not get any sound when I have the MK3 set to balanced mode.  When I switch it over to single mode, I get sound.  I'm stumped.  

The switch tells the amp what input you are selecting. Both the balanced and single ended outputs remain active at all times. When you are selecting balanced in your example, you are telling the amp to amplify no signal input. Hence no output.

Cheers

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #190 of 1,084
Quote:
The switch tells the amp what input you are selecting. Both the balanced and single ended outputs remain active at all times. When you are selecting balanced in your example, you are telling the amp to amplify no signal input. Hence no output.
Cheers

Quote:

The switch is a source selector switch. You select balanced for the balanced
input, and s-e for the s-e input.

So in another word, I will need a balanced input adaptor with a 1/8 plug at the other end to use from DAP to MK3 since I already have the balanced output adaptor for the headphones?  
I honestly have no clue when it comes to balanced and its giving me a headache.  Thanks for your help guys.  

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #191 of 1,084
I choose balance or single ended by which ever ponytail I decide to attach to my headphone.  My headphones have a mini-xlr connectors and I have several types of connecting ponytails; quarter inch, eight inch, RSA plug all with a connector to attach to the mini-XLR connector of the headphone cable.  This allows me to plug my headphone into whichever output I choose.

Example of ponytails (image from Moon Audio website):

Several items together laid out:

The cable shown attached to the Westone 4r in the picture was re-purposed today for my Westone ES5 for hiss testing.  I believe this worked to quiet some of the hiss.  The are many brands of these types of adaptable cables but those I use are made by Moon Audio and are called IEM Silver Dragon V1. The mini-xlr is much nicer since it is so much smaller than the older and larger XLR connectors used normally with balanced equipment.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #192 of 1,084
Quote:
Here is what I have but I do not get any sound when I have the MK3 set to balanced mode.  When I switch it over to single mode, I get sound.  I'm stumped.  

Input selection is a manual selection to choose a circuit while output selection is done by whichever output plug you use for your headphone, as I understand it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #193 of 1,084
Quote:
Thanksall for the input so far.   I should say I my IEM's have included Ety, V-Moda & Shure.  My next step will probably be Westone.  I highly value clarity, resolution and neutrality in SQ.  Have noticed a number of posts in various threads pointing out "darkness" or similar term as an attribute of the Mk2 in comparisons with the usual high-end suspects.  If the Mk3 "lifts the veil" a bit I would favor it.
Good point also about being ready to go balanced in the future but I wonder if what's left of my ancient rock-n-roll-ified hearing system would detect the differences enough to justify the cost in upgrades, cables, etc. 

My Westone 4r balanced using the Mk3 is very good and not veiled at all. There is no noise floor when using the 4R balanced either.  I also can use the bass function of the Mk3 to good affect without impacting the higher frequencies.  I do not think the Mk3 is "dark" at all especially compared with the SR-71B or even as warm as the warm sounding DX100.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #194 of 1,084
Quote:
Input selection is a manual selection to choose a circuit while output selection is done by whichever output plug you use for your headphone, as I understand it.

Thanks for the pictures and explanation.  So, my setup is being outputted in balanced because I am using the balanced adaptor but then why is there a knob for single and balanced and why does it only work when it's turned to single?
It seems it's because I am using the 3.5 to 3.5 cable from DX100 line out to MK3 single ended port.  If this is the case, then what cable would I need from source to amp.  I believe I have everything I need from headphone to amp which is cable terminated in 4 pin XLR + MK3 adaptor.  

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #195 of 1,084
Quote:
Thanks for the pictures and explanation.  So, my setup is being outputted in balanced because I am using the balanced adaptor but then why is there a knob for single and balanced and why does it only work when it's turned to single?

Any knob you are using has nothing to do about whether you have single ended or balanced inputs. The knobs are for volume and bass control.  

It seems it's because I am using the 3.5 to 3.5 cable from DX100 line out to MK3 single ended port.

Yes you are using singled ended input based on this statement and not using any balanced input.

If this is the case, then what cable would I need from source to amp.  I believe I have everything I need from headphone to amp which is cable terminated in 4 pin XLR + MK3 adapter.  

I have never set this setting to the B setting since having the RSA SR-71B where Ray has stated that we would damage the unit if we provided a single ended or balanced signal with the wrong switch setting.

To use your setup with a balanced input you need a cable with a 4 pin XLR to RSA connector made up for you.  I have a connector cable that I use for my iBasso DB2 output into my RSA SR-71B that Moon Audio made up for me using the IEM Silver Dragon wire. Obviously this one does not use the 4 pin XLR that you appear to need.   Your balanced DAC output connector will have to match what you are using if it is not the iBasso DB2 or DB1 as shown below.   Based on your wanting to use a 4 pin XLR connector it does not seem that you will be using your Mk3 balanced input when going portable.

This cable is providing a balanced input into the RSA SR-71B as shown and you need something similar for the Mk3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back