Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2,041 of 3,117
sure, i will post some revie once the ms-1 is fix. i had recabled the phone earlier and it enhance the mid and looking forward to the woodies now.

attached here picture i receive prior to the shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the headcoverage woodies on my APS recabled HF-1, and the woodies really richened up the sound and fixed some midrange suckout too. Let me know what they do for your MS-1, because my son would like his MS-1 woodied too...

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2,042 of 3,117
I just received my ms1s today. Damn, they sound so awesome with punk/rock !!
good bass and precise highs ( the highs were too confused on my k81s).

Another alessandro fan in the wild lol

So now i'm looking for a portable amplifier. the 2move seems to be good. has anyone tried the ms1/2move configuration ?

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #2,043 of 3,117
I use a 3G Nano with a 2Move and MS1s as my main transportable rig. It is a clean, airy sound, with plenty of power and bass.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #2,044 of 3,117
Some days ago i made my first mod on my ms1...a nice pair of wood cups...right after a first listen it was apparent that something has changed in the sound signature of the phones...after hours of listening...the very deep cups seem to give the perception of a bigger soundstage, since you can hear notes somewhat reverberate into the cups and give the impression of coming outside of the drivers...i couldn't find better words to explain the differences i heared from stock...

cups were made without a lathe, so craftanship and finish is surely not on the level of commercial cups, like the headcoverage ones...but still very nice i think...considering they cost about 1/20 of them
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #2,045 of 3,117
second time ms1 user here. Just got them today. They are already better than my sr60s before burn in. After an hour, they became more holographic. hmmm nice. good stuff. fun cans

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #2,046 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
second time ms1 user here. Just got them today. They are already better than my sr60s before burn in. After an hour, they became more holographic. hmmm nice. good stuff. fun cans

Do I get to say, "I told you so"
biggrin.gif

The only way to make an SR-60 better than an MS-1 is to have Ken at ALO woodie and silver cable them like my other pair.
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #2,047 of 3,117
I also prefer the stock pads to bowls or flats. tried them all today with a variety of music. Bowls give them an added snap and cuts some veil but adds a raucuous midrange with a hornlike coloration. If songs don't hit the annoying frequencies, bowls are great but overall the comfies just play everything well and are more comfy to boot. great stuff
biggrin.gif

As for the flats... nevermind, its just congested. I use it for my sr60s for portable use since the extra bass is good for drowning out ambient noise hehehe

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #2,048 of 3,117
Congratulation that you finally found a way back home.

Out of all the fons I had, the MS1 isn't the best (by far), but it turned out to become the most important in long terms. Every HP afterwards had to be judged if it could keep up with the MS1 almost ideal coherence. Lots of higher tier gear failed in that respect...

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #2,049 of 3,117
yup, ms1 surely is a great can for the price and a very fun listen. I do prefer my hd600 but the ms1s have that raw and ready grado sound that is less analytical and better for less pristine recordings if you dont want to analyze the sound. This is the main reason for getting them again and it is exactly what I got.

Extra Note: I noticed that these ms1s are better than the first ones I got. Those sounded dull and had way less treble. I remember them being much duller than senn 555s but these are different. they sound more like people describe them to be. I guess my old ms1s were a dud hehehe. Even after doing the quarter mod, those old ms1s of mine still had less treble than my old senn 555s
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #2,050 of 3,117
Yes, quality spread is a big issue. I've heared two MS1s side by side on a meeting, which sounded far more different than a SR225 and a MS1. But what do you expect? It's a "cool" american enterprise...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #2,051 of 3,117
hahaha this conversation doesn't look like its good for the appreciation thread. Its gonna spread fear to prospective buyers. Anyway, to those that want to buy them... don't worry, both my new ms1s and the one i got before are good for the price even though they sound slightly different
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The source I was using before was different so that could be the reason why the old ms1s were duller sounding. I was using it with a zen micro vs cd player to gilmore lite with dps now. Just for the heck of it, i am now listening to them as i type on my laptop and they are much duller sounding than they are on the gilmore lite so there you go.... what a difference the source/amp makes. apparently these scale better than the sr60s

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2,052 of 3,117
Quote:

I also prefer the stock pads to bowls or flats. tried them all today with a variety of music. Bowls give them an added snap and cuts some veil but adds a raucuous midrange with a hornlike coloration. If songs don't hit the annoying frequencies, bowls are great but overall the comfies just play everything well and are more comfy to boot. great stuff
biggrin.gif

As for the flats... nevermind, its just congested. I use it for my sr60s for portable use since the extra bass is good for drowning out ambient noise hehehe

That's funny that we hear the same things with comfys and flats, and we like the comfys the most. I did warn you in PM about the congestion with flats, and comfys being the best, but you just haaaaad to go try it yourself didn't youuuuu?

The thing with the bowls is I only tried them with the music that didn't add the raucuous midrange because I don't like that kinda music on any headphone and wont listen to it. Typically you can get away with bowls with most jazz, classical and acoustic music, 75% of the time with hiphop, and only half the time with rock.

Since the comfys sound best and are most comfortable, it doesn't make sense to change it up.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2,053 of 3,117
Quote:

hahaha this conversation doesn't look like its good for the appreciation thread. Its gonna spread fear to prospective buyers. Anyway, to those that want to buy them... don't worry, both my new ms1s and the one i got before are good for the price even though they sound slightly different
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The source I was using before was different so that could be the reason why the old ms1s were duller sounding. I was using it with a zen micro vs cd player to gilmore lite with dps now. Just for the heck of it, i am now listening to them as i type on my laptop and they are much duller sounding than they are on the gilmore lite so there you go.... what a difference the source/amp makes. apparently these scale better than the sr60s

backpeddler!
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2,054 of 3,117
Quote:

That's funny that we hear the same things with comfys and flats, and we like the comfys the most. I did warn you in PM about the congestion with flats, and comfys being the best, but you just haaaaad to go try it yourself didn't youuuuu?

The flats make the sr60s useful so it was still worth getting. now i can use my sr60s for throwing around anywhere while the ms1s can stay at home

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #2,055 of 3,117
Quote:

The thing with the bowls is I only tried them with the music that didn't add the raucuous midrange because I don't like that kinda music on any headphone and wont listen to it. Typically you can get away with bowls with most jazz, classical and acoustic music, 75% of the time with hiphop, and only half the time with rock.

Since the comfys sound best and are most comfortable, it doesn't make sense to change it up.

the thing with the bowls... everytime i put them on, the technical prowess of the ms1s step up a big notch. There is now blackness between notes and dynamics but the tonal balance is just not right. They impress the first minute or two but the tonality is just so colored that it becomes unbearable in the long term. The mids are just as extreme as the Audio Technica ad2000s in a different area of the upper mids grrr. if there was a pad that had the technical prowess of the bowls and an accurate tonality. hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back