Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #2,011 of 3,117
Hi, I'm very interested in these headphones. But I have a few questions that perhaps some owners can answer.

1. Does this headphone require an amp? Can my ipod-shuffle power this set of cans?

2. Where can I find more information about modding these pair of headphones? More specifically the benefits of each type of mod that can be performed on these pair of headphones.

3. If I were to look into amps, specifically tube amps, which would be a good recommendation for these pair of headphones?

4. I notice on the Alessandro's website, they have two options for the MS-1s. Is there a difference (barring size) between the 1/4'' and 1/8'' plug?

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #2,012 of 3,117
1. A Shuffle should power them sufficiently even if not too ideal. They're quite easy to drive.

2. You can have a look at the Grado mods pages on HeadWize, here and here. The simplest mod would be to dampen the drivers with dynamat/blue-tak/etc. (dirt cheap), and buy some bowl pads. If you're handy with DIY there's some guides on those pages for recabling or even installing mono jacks for removable cables/one sided entry/dual mono use. HeadCoverage sells woody cups and padded leather headbands. Consider also modding it into an MS-1000.

3. I can't answer this as I don't have experience with tubes, but there'll be plenty of people with good suggestions I'm sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

4. There are no other differences between the 2 versions except for the termination, so grab the miniplug version.

Hope that was of some help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpandas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm very interested in these headphones. But I have a few questions that perhaps some owners can answer.

1. Does this headphone require an amp? Can my ipod-shuffle power this set of cans?

2. Where can I find more information about modding these pair of headphones? More specifically the benefits of each type of mod that can be performed on these pair of headphones.

3. If I were to look into amps, specifically tube amps, which would be a good recommendation for these pair of headphones?

4. I notice on the Alessandro's website, they have two options for the MS-1s. Is there a difference (barring size) between the 1/4'' and 1/8'' plug?

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #2,018 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it's not necessary and yes it will make a difference, not a huge difference but enough so that you can decide which pads you want to use and which ones you don't.

How do I know which pads will sound better? Like I can't try all of them.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #2,019 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I know which pads will sound better? Like I can't try all of them.

Sad to say that is about the only way you will know. Everybody has their own opinion of what sounds the best and theirs might not agree with yours. Therefore you are just going to have bite the bullet and try them out and decide for yourself to really know. At least they are not overly expensive, can be easily found (TTVJ), and you can sell the ones you decide not to keep on the FS forum and get some of your money back. Myself, I like the bowls. But I use mine primarily for the blues and some classical rock (Pink Floyd, Eagles, Stones, ect...).

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #2,020 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad to say that is about the only way you will know. Everybody has their own opinion of what sounds the best and theirs might not agree with yours. Therefore you are just going to have bite the bullet and try them out and decide for yourself to really know. At least they are not overly expensive, can be easily found (TTVJ), and you can sell the ones you decide not to keep on the FS forum and get some of your money back. Myself, I like the bowls. But I use mine primarily for the blues and some classical rock (Pink Floyd, Eagles, Stones, ect...).

I'll just go with stock then, the MS1 is only 100 dollars, won't spend another 100 on a bunch of pads. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2,021 of 3,117
Although there are many pads out there, the couple that compliment the grado headphones are the hd414 comfies, bowls, and stock comfies. So you really don't have to buy that many pads. People usually lean toward the bowls because they are supposedly the best sounding, hd414 comfies because they are more comfortable, etc, etc.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #2,022 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although there are many pads out there, the couple that compliment the grado headphones are the hd414 comfies, bowls, and stock comfies. So you really don't have to buy that many pads. People usually lean toward the bowls because they are supposedly the best sounding, hd414 comfies because they are more comfortable, etc, etc.

So the bowls just does not block the sound right?

How much worse is the stock comfies compared to the bowls in terms of sound?

And I have problems paying 20 dollars for a pair of pads. Do you have to get the Grado pads? Aren't there cheaper pads that also fit? (bowls)

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #2,023 of 3,117
Comfies are 10 and bowls are 15. As far as I know, Grados and Senn 414's are only ones that will fit. Don't MS1's come with bowls or is it comfies now. You don't have to buy both, just the one they don't come with. And you don't even have to do that if you like the way they sound out of the box. A lot of people actually do.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2,024 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfies are 10 and bowls are 15. As far as I know, Grados and Senn 414's are only ones that will fit. Don't MS1's come with bowls or is it comfies now. You don't have to buy both, just the one they don't come with. And you don't even have to do that if you like the way they sound out of the box. A lot of people actually do.

The MS2 and 3 comes with bowls, the MS1 come with comfies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back