Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Aug 23, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2,057 of 3,117
The quarter mod just adds treble. tried it before and nothing else in the tonality changed. In fact i have the reversed comfies of my sr60s. I actually like it better than just a straight quarter mod but its not really anything special. I havent tried thin pads under the bowls but i doubt it will cure the mids. I have a feeling it will just take down the highs which IMO dont need changing.

I have a feeling that the hornlike coloration is due to the hornlike shape of the bowls and not because of the drivers naked feeding sound to the ears. It probably needs a headphone really tuned with the bowls to take advantage of the bowls strengths and eliminate its weaknesses. Now I really wonder if the rs1s or mspros are without this coloration that I speak of.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2,058 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quarter mod just adds treble. tried it before and nothing else in the tonality changed. In fact i have the reversed comfies of my sr60s. I actually like it better than just a straight quarter mod but its not really anything special. I havent tried thin pads under the bowls but i doubt it will cure the mids. I have a feeling it will just take down the highs which IMO dont need changing.

I have a feeling that the hornlike coloration is due to the hornlike shape of the bowls and not because of the drivers naked feeding sound to the ears. It probably needs a headphone really tuned with the bowls to take advantage of the bowls strengths and eliminate its weaknesses. Now I really wonder if the rs1s or mspros are without this coloration that I speak of.

Yes, the RS-1 and RS-2 with bowls are without that coloration. The RS-1 can handle flats a lot better than RS-2 (which can get a little congested with flats just like the MS-1).

The RS-2 with bowls is a more refined, rich, organic and detailed version of the MS-1 with comfys sound.

The RS-1 with flats is touching on HP-1000 territory (I've tried both side by side) and is similar to an RS-2 with bowls (but with more bass than RS-2, and closer to HP-1000 bass).

The RS-1 with bowls is nice and open and less forward than MS-1/comfys or RS-2/bowls, without the horn-like coloration you mention.

The HF-1 are closer to the RS-1 in regards to response to flats and bowls, but the HF-1 with bowls can be a little too distant for rock, but never horn-like mids that irritate, more like sucked out mids.

I still think the MS-1 are a very well balanced cost effective headphone that competes with headphones twice it's cost, and should be used with comfys.

PS: Did you try the quarter modded Senn 414 pads, you didn't say? I asked what about thicker pads with qtr mod. I haven't tried them, but I have some pads here I can cut.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #2,059 of 3,117
I've had the MS1's with bowls for a couple of months now and I think the sound changes depending on how much use the pads have seen. My bowls are softer and flatter than before and don't sound the way they did when I first got them.

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #2,061 of 3,117
you mean just flipping over the bowls? i tried that very quickly with my sr60s and it was similar to the bowl sound. I should do some listening with my ms1s with reverse bowls.

And about the 414 question, no i havent heard those yet but i hear that they sound very similar to reversed comfies that i did. reversed comfies are just comfies that you make a big enough hole so that it fits on the housing for reversing.

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #2,062 of 3,117
No, reversed 414s have their own sound signature IMO, different from bowls and comfies. I personally can't stand the comfies, things become too dark for my liking.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #2,064 of 3,117
Quote:

you should try the bowls on the ms1 nickchen. You will hear the extreme mids that you hated on the ad2000s with the ms1's hehehe

I can't. My distancers are fixed with superglue, can't be bothered destroying them for some undesired back-to-stock procedures. But I remember well how well they sounded without distancers and with reversed 414s.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2,066 of 3,117
Wouldn't recommend a reversed 414 / distancer combination (lacks coherence in the mids section). If you use reversed 414s, you better keep them stock.

Taste question though...

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #2,067 of 3,117
I think I should have kept quiet until the ms1s settled with burn in because a quick listening session after a 24 hour straight burn in took down the mids raucousness a bit with the bowls. I'll post more impressions after adding another 50 hours straight using the chesky burn in track.

Nickchen,
I am really interested in your mod now that ive listened to all the pads except for the 414. Its just that I'll do that last and after I get tired of all the other pads because after all, it is irreversible.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #2,068 of 3,117
Quote:

I think I should have kept quiet until the ms1s settled with burn in because a quick listening session after a 24 hour straight burn in took down the mids raucousness a bit with the bowls. I'll post more impressions after adding another 50 hours straight using the chesky burn in track.

LOL
tongue.gif
I knew it!

Everything I said in my original PM about SR-60 vs MS-1 and various pads is coming true.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #2,069 of 3,117
It's reversible if you fix the distancers with blue tac or so.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2,070 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
tongue.gif
I knew it!

Everything I said in my original PM about SR-60 vs MS-1 and various pads is coming true.
tongue_smile.gif

If the mids settle down enough, I know bowls will be the hands down winner in sound for me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back