Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #1,996 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So apparently the MS-1s were back-ordered for quite a bit. Just got an email from Alessandro that they got stocked now and I'll get mine in a bit.

So not gonna be in the fan club for another few weeks. >: But the bowl pads I ordered from Australia arrived already lol, halfway there I guess.

geez! We are lucky then i ordered one for a friend a week ago, i think he got last one or so from the stock.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #1,997 of 3,117
Got mine today from a fellow Head-Fi'er. Definitely a lot more neutral sounding than my SR60s. I could listen to these guys hour after hour. I'm torn between 414 pads (in stock position with a massive hole = to drivers) and the bowls. Reverse 414 pads just sound really weird for some reason.

EDIT2: Holy crap bowls sound so good. However, my left ear hurts because it has some extra skin or something and comes into contact with the plastic rim. (When I take my headphones off and look, the hole seems to get stretched a little to one side thus exposing the outer edge.) Otherwise, it fits pretty nicely. Possible solutions?

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #1,998 of 3,117
My MS-1s arrived today! Box was sitting by the front door, didn't even notice it until my brother pointed it out. Ordered April 11th, didn't stock until the 18th, shipped on approx the 21st. So transit was only a week.

Listening to some of my new CDs at the moment. I'm pretty ****ing stoked with it, sorry for the language but this being my first proper headphone I hope you'll bear with me. Really really lucky that I don't have any fitting problems too, using the bowls with it, the clamp is just right for my head and it's sooo comfortable. Leaks more than I thought, so I def can't wear it out and about. Still gonna bring it in to class tomorrow though.

Naturally my bro wanted a listen, he says he might pick one up for his home system. He's not really an audiophile, more of a home theater enthusiast, listens to music occasionally.

EDIT: OK, so maybe not as comfortable as it first felt, the clamping kinda gets sore when I'm wearing glasses.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #1,999 of 3,117
Have them on order and can't wait to hear them, have had the HD555's for a while and enjoyed them but I think they sound a bit too distant for me and the apparent on-stage sound of these ones should suit me
smily_headphones1.gif
Good to hear of lots of others getting these recently as well.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #2,001 of 3,117
thought I'd chip in for you both since I own both the HD555's and MS-1's. I owned the MS-1's first and after a while I felt I needed something with more soundstage and a more relaxed, open sound, which the HD555's were perfect for. but over time I've grown to love the MS-1's more, they excel at just about everything over the HD555's - attack/decay, treble, impact are all much improved which makes them fantastic for rock, where the HD555s feel sloppy, slow, muddy and way too bassy in comparison. if anything I prefer the HD555's for jazz but even still they're too bassy for my tastes. the two compliment each other well depending on your mood, although nowadays I almost always reach for the MS-1's.

the only thing I miss is the soundstage but for rock, if you're enjoying the music coming out of them you won't miss it too much (the MS-1's have good separation of instruments though, even more so than the HD555's). MS-1's are well worth the money, and FYI i use reversed yellow hd414 pads, they sound the most balanced to me (bowls too much emphasis on treble, comfys a little recessed and muddy, though nothing like the Senns still).

hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: 2000th post in this thread, heh.

May 1, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #2,002 of 3,117
Thanks hayste, and I agree with your post, finally had them waiting for me as I got home tonight, these are everything I thought the HD555 was missing, up front, in the middle, it was just hard for me to enjoy the HD555's, it felt a bit distant, but these are great. Read they might be uncomfortable but I love the way they sit on the ears, it barely feels like they're there. And they look great. Can't wait to try them with the better source
smily_headphones1.gif

Customary photo:

P5010004.jpg

The only thing is the cable is a little thick, can someone help me out on where to look for cable modifications?

Definitely a fan of the Alessandro sound here
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #2,003 of 3,117
Well, phooie!

It Finally Happened!

A couple years ago my Grandkids managed to let my MS-1 fall into the base of their swiveling computer chair.

....no, the chair swiveled; not the computer.

They managed to rip out some pretty good sized chunks of insulation when the chair was given a spin.....no, the phones; not the chair, but some well placed and applied electrical tape kept the old dears in service for all this time, and for nearly daily use! Really tough little harness!

But this morning while using them with my guitar amp....I wish I could afford an Alessandro Guitar Amp rather than just the phones, but the MS-1 sound absolutely killer with guitar and my new Gretsch just loves 'em! But today the spinnin' housings finally took their toll. I intermittently lost the left channel.

....now where did I misplace that darned soldering iron?

May 10, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #2,004 of 3,117
I received my ms1 3 weeks back. I find them very comfortable with stock comfies.

I didn't have any decent headphone before. I currently have ATH M30 and used Senn EH150 before. Compared to those phones, ms1 are excellent. Female vocals are nice. Drum and guitar sound excellent.

I did not like ms1 as much for male vocals. I feel they sound thinner and i still prefer ath m30 for male vocals.

May 21, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2,006 of 3,117
Don't think too many people will get this far in the thread, but I'll try anyway. - One more word of warning/explanation: I have indeed searched the forum for advice on my problem, but do not feel I could learn anything from what I found. - I am not sure what to do: so far I have owned/tried AKG K500, K240S, K141S, K530 (rehashed 301 Xtra, they're horrible), K24P (small portable one), Senn HD580, PX100, Koss KSC-75 - yeah, that's it. My source is my home rig and an Ipod 5G, Cmoy (line-out). I listen mainly to Jazz, Rock (e.g. Cake) and a little bit of electronic music. IMO, of the headphones listed only the K500s and -strangely - the K24Ps are worth mentioning. What I would like to have in a headphone is the bass response of the K24P (less muddy, of course) paired with the soundstage of the K500. Which headphones could possibly do that, Beyer DT-770s, DT-990s or maybe MS1s? (No possibility of auditioning them myself as there is no store that holds them around here). These are the ones I think I can narrow it down to, but I am open to suggestions. I must say I am very tempted to try out the Alessandros, though I fear they are a somewhat aggressive version of the K500s (and, likewise, lack in the bass department).

Well, hope someone reads this - and is willing and able to help.

May 21, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #2,007 of 3,117
Got mine a few days ago. My amplifier is coming soon but even straight out of my XFi They sound fantastic. I prefer their sound to the $500 Shure IEMs.

May 21, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #2,008 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... What I would like to have in a headphone is the bass response of the K24P (less muddy, of course) paired with the soundstage of the K500....

I don't know about the soundstage of the K500 but the soundstage on my MS1 with flat pads it's almost non existend.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2,009 of 3,117
Got my MS1's a few days ago. Great headphones. By far my current favorite rock hp. Very easy to drive from my laptop or portable players. Will be interesting to see if a amp makes any improvements. Far exceeds my previous full time hp's "Sennheiser HD555". One of the best bargains at $99 imo.

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #2,010 of 3,117
Hi, just orederd a set of MS1s and I just wanted advice on what the best pads to use to bring out the most base are. Heard they are abit base shy, especially compared to say a hd650 which is what i'm using at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back