Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Feb 1, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #976 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I modded mine with reversed quartermodded hd414s, seems to have a bit larger soundstage, but not soo much difference. But i have to say, that my ms1s are not burned in very long so far, so it could change a bit with time.

Although shipping took so long there's one advantage here in germany, we get the hd414 pads in nearly every electro-store for a few euros, so at least one thing you can be lucky about.
icon10.gif

But it's nive to read, that you got your ms1 after this odysee
lambda.gif

you can't imagine how happy i am
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #977 of 3,117
Well, I finally got to listen to my new MS-1s this morning and I'll have to say I'm impressed....more so than I thought I would be.
I've owned SR-60s, 125s, 225s and 325is. Some reviewers have placed these cans somewhere between the 80s and the 125s in quality. I would say they are 125s that have been brought under control.
I compared them to the PX-100s and EH-350s I have at work and find the difference not unlike the time in the Grand Canyon when I cleaned all the dried silt off of my glasses and saw just how absolutely gorgeous the place was.
Yeah...It's a lot like that.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #978 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definition of bummer: I just got my MS-1s today (3 day shipping for free!) and I don't have a single component in the house with a 1/4" headphone jack.

Crap.

uhh...what about the D-15 I posted to you last year? That will make your MS1 sing sweet magic

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #979 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhh...what about the D-15 I posted to you last year? That will make your MS1 sing sweet magic

The D-15 is an "at work" unit (and a very nice one! Thanks,AF). I was bummed about having to wait 10 hours.......
Unfortunately, we are putting in wood floors and all of my stereo equipment is in storage. The beauty end is that I get to run speaker wires to were I really want them and I get to create a "listening nook" complete with bookshelf speakers and an outlet for my cans.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #981 of 3,117
Ok, so my Alessandro MS-1's arrived today. All I can say now is: dear god!
eek.gif
Nothing, I mean nothing, in the audio reproduction world I've experienced up to today has ever rocked this hard!

I was just listening to some metal and the distorted bass guitar sound just ripped right through my brain
basshead.gif
I didn't know bass, guitars and vocals can sound this good. And the highs, oh my god they are so alive! These things just breathe life into anything I throw at them. Life and groove, that's what these things are all about. I've been re-listening to the same old songs I've heard a thousand times and it's like I heard them for the first time! The songs send shivers down my spine. And that's something that hasn't happened in a very long time.

Why didn't you guys tell me these things were this good? Now I have to get a pair of MS-2's and sell my HD595's, which I can't even look at anymore
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #983 of 3,117
Quote:

Why didn't you guys tell me these things were this good? Now I have to get a pair of MS-2's and sell my HD595's, which I can't even look at anymore

For the whole time i have been here at HeadFi, i have said that EVERY Sennheiser suck some major monkey balls in metal. I take ANY Grado headphone over any Sennheiser for that music. My first high-end Senn (which is was going to buy back then) which I heard was HD595 and I could immidietly tell that Damn... this is bad. I switched it to SR225... Holy sht!!! Unfortunately it was out of my price range back then, but I didnt buy HD595 either. I waited 'till I had enough money for SR225 instead.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #984 of 3,117
New cans: DT531 (quite good), DT880 (damned good).

But my old MS1 remains my alltime darling. Technically, not my best fon, but most fun & musical bandwidth.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #985 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D-15 is an "at work" unit (and a very nice one! Thanks,AF). I was bummed about having to wait 10 hours.......
Unfortunately, we are putting in wood floors and all of my stereo equipment is in storage. The beauty end is that I get to run speaker wires to were I really want them and I get to create a "listening nook" complete with bookshelf speakers and an outlet for my cans.

NICE!!
When are you coming over to listen to my rig? I have some gear to fill your room if interested, perhaps come over and take a look before I start listing, eBaying, and craigslisting it to new homes.

Great to hear you digging the MS-1's..I listen to those quite often, and are the best car washing/mountain biking cans I have owned ever.. (being careful with them of course)

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #986 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by niktheblak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

hold onto your your MS1 and Senn..the sounds are quite different and compliment eachother very well (Senn VS Aless/Grado)...and the 595's make excellent soundstage phones for movies, games, and classical music..
Make sure you burn those MS1's in, 60 hrs or so.. What amp are you using to throw your 595?

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #987 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4t3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the bass on the ms-1's compared to the 595's?

In short, stronger and more accurate. The bass of the HD595's is somewhat of an omnipresent being, it's there all the time but it doesn't really do much. The MS-1's deliver the bass with surgical precision and major slam. I hear every bass note and feel the kick of each bass drum hit. Senns are much more roundabout and their style doesn't really work very well with metal, which really requires the surgical precision.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #988 of 3,117
w00t I found a store which lets me audition headphones!!!
3000smile.gif

It was this hi-fi store called "The Listening Post" and sold very expensive audio gear, and the staff looked down on anyone without a credit-card. Anyway, they had a set of K701's set up there, plugged into some sort of amp and then into a $3000 SACD player :O... Only problem was, it didn't seem to work. So I didn't get to hear the sound of awesomeness. Sad.

I thought the K701 wasn't very comfortable either... It seemed a bit too heavy. My MS1's could own it for comfort any day.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #989 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hold onto your your MS1 and Senn..the sounds are quite different and compliment eachother very well (Senn VS Aless/Grado)...and the 595's make excellent soundstage phones for movies, games, and classical music..

Sounds like good advice, but the problem is that I can't really imagine where I would prefer the HD595's sonic signature to the MS-1's. The MS-1's sound better in everything I've thrown at them, including electronica and classical. Play some Vivaldi with the Alessandros and listen to the violins really sing. They make even classical rock, which I understand may not be a desirable characteristic for everyone. But it sure is for me.

The only thing I could imagine the HD595's to have an upper hand would be games and movies, as you mentioned. And they are also much more comfortable to wear, especially for extended periods of time. The HD595's have the sort of a laid back and relaxed sound that would fit very well for movies. But the problem here is that I don't recall ever watching a movie with headphones, and I don't believe I will in the foreseeable future.

Quote:

Make sure you burn those MS1's in, 60 hrs or so.. What amp are you using to throw your 595?

I have the Little Dot Micro+ and PA2V2 which I use interchangeably. I mostly use the LDM+ with the HD595's since it is slightly brighter and helps to combat the dullness of the HD595. Not that it matters though, no amount of amping, modding or equalizing is going to make a Sennheiser a Grado. There's just no way.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #990 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w00t I found a store which lets me audition headphones!!!
3000smile.gif

It was this hi-fi store called "The Listening Post" and sold very expensive audio gear, and the staff looked down on anyone without a credit-card. Anyway, they had a set of K701's set up there, plugged into some sort of amp and then into a $3000 SACD player :O... Only problem was, it didn't seem to work. So I didn't get to hear the sound of awesomeness. Sad.

I thought the K701 wasn't very comfortable either... It seemed a bit too heavy. My MS1's could own it for comfort any day.

hehe i just had a listening experience myself but i didnt go to some store. i went to another headfiers house.

i got to listen a 325i and 650 both amped as well as from a vinyl source. must say... i just kept grabbing the 325i though i listened to the 650 longer simply because i wanted to like it more but that veil was pretty much obvious in a way i never knew. i didnt really like the veil. though the 650 is nice for more relaxed recordings. also the 325i wasnt as heavy as i expected it to be and the bowls were comfortable to me. *shrug*

also i just want to say... wow at the sennheiser veil. it made me sad when demoing as i lay dying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back