Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #1,006 of 3,117
how bad do these leak. i am pretty sure i will be joinging the team shortly. after much debate and waaaaaaaay to many reviews that i have read, i think i have made up my mind. from the sure deal MDR V6 to then the HD580, but now, the MS1s.

now, my question is how much leakage do these open cans have? i mean, if i was to listen to my ipod (unamped) at its loudest volume in the car with others while traveling, will it be too loud and bother others? or if i am sitting at my computer with my wife watching tv behind me 10 feet away, will the leakage bother her? or is it very minimal?

do the bowls help in leakage?
and i want those yellow pads! are those bowls or cushions? i actually like the look!

thanks for this thread and others...i think i have finally decided on a 'phone!

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #1,007 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minarets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bad do these leak. i am pretty sure i will be joinging the team shortly. after much debate and waaaaaaaay to many reviews that i have read, i think i have made up my mind. from the sure deal MDR V6 to then the HD580, but now, the MS1s.

now, my question is how much leakage do these open cans have? i mean, if i was to listen to my ipod (unamped) at its loudest volume in the car with others while traveling, will it be too loud and bother others? or if i am sitting at my computer with my wife watching tv behind me 10 feet away, will the leakage bother her? or is it very minimal?

and i want those yellow pads! are those bowls or cushions? i actually like the look!

They don't really leak that much. I listen at what would probably be considered a moderate volume and my roommate says he can't hear them at all, both with the stock comfies and quarter-modded & reversed 414 pads.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #1,008 of 3,117
Quote:

I just tested them. It's quite subjective really. I don't consider them to be that leaky. I just tested them clamped to my leg with bowls, not that bad really.

On the other hand, I'm a particular person, if I'm watching a movie and I can hear pretty much anything nearby it would distract me. So, as I said, it's quite subjective.

As for the yellow pads, those are Sennheiser 414 pads. Some people prefer them to the stock comfies. Personally I have comfies, 414s & bowls. It's no contest for me, the bowls are far superior both in comfort and performance.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #1,009 of 3,117
Ok; I have a confession to make.

I have often said that I now have, and prefer the MS-1 with reversed 414s and the MS2i with bowls.

I have also stated that I liked the MS-1s better with the bowls from a sonic standpoint, but that the 414s reversed were more comfortable. Also that the MS2i were more comfortable with bowls.

True: No fibs there.

Where the sin of omission comes in is to have not mentioned that the MS2i have been successfully adjusted to fit best with bowls, and the MS-1s are adjusted to best fit with 414s.

Mea Maxima Culpa.
frown.gif

.....of course if I had more than one set of bowls.....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #1,010 of 3,117
Quote:

how bad do these leak.

I reckon they leak alot.... Enough to annoy anyone sitting beside you. The backside that isn't on your ears lets out as much sound as the side that is...

They also don't isolate AT ALL, so there not very good for if your out and about.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #1,011 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon they leak alot.... Enough to annoy anyone sitting beside you. The backside that isn't on your ears lets out as much sound as the side that is...

They also don't isolate AT ALL, so there not very good for if your out and about.

x2 cant agree more..........only use them once outside

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #1,012 of 3,117
Quote:

how bad do these leak.

Lets just say I can play a game for an hour before starting to wonder how I can pick up footsteps when my speakers are off and my headphones aren't on my head.. then I take a glance and realise that the sound is coming from my MS1s, 2 metres away
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #1,013 of 3,117
I agree on the leaking part, but why would you use them only outdoors?
confused.gif

I feel that they are best suited for home listening when you are alone in a room. Their sound is pretty much as loud on both sides of the driver. That should give you an idea of the leakage.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #1,015 of 3,117
The leakage isn't really that bad.
plainface.gif
Well, maybe it is..
rs1smile.gif

I bring these cans to school with me quite often and their not that bad, haven't really gotten complaints yet. What I do is, before listening, I just check the volume and make sure they don't leak so much. After a couple minutes, my ears usually adjust to the volume.

On the plus side though, I had my MS1s on while waiting in line for enrollment. I was tapping my foot, and then I realized there was this other foot tapping to the same beat.
confused.gif
It was the guy next to me, listening to the sound being leaked.
plainface.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #1,016 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you missed out... your 1001
redface.gif

LOL and missed out by a large margin too! That explains why it took 4 months before I finally get my MS-1. Slow learner!

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #1,018 of 3,117
so these wouldnt be considered ideal...well, i dont want to use that term. these wouldnt work well, in environments outside of the home? like on a plane? or while riding in a car on a road trip?

home would be my primary use, but for traveleing on a plane(for work) and on road trips...i gotta have my music with me.

Feb 9, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #1,019 of 3,117
Seem's my quest to make MS1's really really really really comfortable has finally come to an end... With these!

DSC00863.JPG

Velour circumauraul MS1 pads! And without the $109 price tag of the C-Pads. All in all, it probably cost me about $30 at the most.

Heres how I did it:

I got the pads off my TDK-MP100 (They're supra-auraul pleather pads, kinda like the ones on the V6 (from the pics I've seen)). Then I took off the pads on my MS1's and stretched them RIGHT over it, so it was a ring AROUND them, and acted as a surface for the new pads.

DSC00865.JPG

Then I got the pads off these (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...22#post2697822) $15 headphones (Bargain, just for the velour pads and nice cable!) and placed them on the MP100's which were stretched around the MS1's and blutacked them there (Probably glue them one day).

DSC00864.JPG

I had to tilt them up a bit on the bottom by flicking part of the MP100 pads up a bit, so it fitted the curve of my head.

The sound is pretty much the same, but with a little more soundstage and maybe the TINYEST bit more bass.

The result: Comfort, practicality and the same great sound. AWESOME!

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #1,020 of 3,117
Is there more than one layer of farbric on those drivers? Cause I feel that even that is too much. If there are only comfies covering them, I'd consider quarter modding them for more calrity. But if there really are two layers there, I'd think the sound becomes very muffled and veiled.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back