Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Feb 20, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #1,036 of 3,117
Well, just aquired a pair of MS1 in a trade and have to say...they are SUPER clear. I mostly using my 580s with my woody upgrades for a few months. Sometimes its just alittle to dark for certain types of music. However, some music i find thats just to harsh sounding through my MS1's. I think they are perfect together though. The MS1 is everything the 580 isnt and so on and so forth.

I havent listen to them long, still trying out which pads sound the best. I got a pair of bowls and the comfy ones with the socket mod.

Which pads do you guys like the best and why?

EDIT- just now trying out the bowls and some Coltrane (Giant Steps) and WOW....this is almost a perfect Jazz can, i said almost =) Im seriously impressed with the nice close up sound it gives. Its soo clear its almost to much at times =)

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #1,037 of 3,117
I have been testing out the pads and really like the bowls. I think its just what they need. I have the comfy with the socket mod. I do like the bass with them, but the mids dont sound as nice.

I can see people using them both over time...sometimes you like alittle less high and mid for some more punch in bass.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #1,039 of 3,117
reivaj do you have any other mods done? I was thinking about going to my school's machine shop and see if i can make some new woody housings. I also saw online that someone used PVC pipe to make a nice deep chamber. Im curious to hear how deeper chamber would sound with these.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #1,040 of 3,117
nah i got the modded comfies and thats about it. im pretty satisfied now that i got my headfive and the sound is more to my desire

though all those mods sound cool but im too prude with headphones to do something like that LOL

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #1,041 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah i got the modded comfies and thats about it. im pretty satisfied now that i got my headfive and the sound is more to my desire

though all those mods sound cool but im too prude with headphones to do something like that LOL

Never to late to start =) Im really happy with my woody upgrades on my 580s. Im thinking if i can make something easy, its the housing for the MS1s. I think im going to try my hand at wood first. Then maybe move to metal later. I just think wood is just soo nice and rich looking on audio equipment. Not so much back in the 70-80's which was just cheap wood panels. Now, its just soo much nicer.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #1,042 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never to late to start =) Im really happy with my woody upgrades on my 580s. Im thinking if i can make something easy, its the housing for the MS1s. I think im going to try my hand at wood first. Then maybe move to metal later. I just think wood is just soo nice and rich looking on audio equipment. Not so much back in the 70-80's which was just cheap wood panels. Now, its just soo much nicer.

yeah wood on the ms1 looks pretty nice. ive seen phergus doing wood mods and they always look pretty nice. though i was not a fan of adding the wood. i would care more about sonic differences than for looks. i want to be able to listen to it and hear something more than a subtle change

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #1,043 of 3,117
I find that with my MS-1s that I prefer the bowls for strictly SQ, but that the reversed 414s are slightly more comfortable, and a whole lot more stable on my particular sized ears..

....to be honest, the headband is adjusted for the 414s, and I didn't try readjusting it when I had the bowls on. So maybe with a readjustment, I may find the bowls more comfortable than they were.

I may be getting into trouble though. My Wife has been doing stuff with her iPod and asking my opinion, and when I listen; I use my MS-1s(and have been since before my HD600s got here)but I find I'm beginning to like carrying a tiny mp3 player around rather than my much larger PCDP. Where the problem comes in is that wearing my MS-1s for something other than just computer stuff is beginning to be fun again!! And it's bringing back old feelings from a few months ago when my MS-1s were asking me for a new wooden suit!!

So please, guys; stop reminding me about MS-1 woodies!
mad.gif

tongue.gif
rs1smile.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #1,044 of 3,117
I was looking and it just seems like the end cups are just replaced. I dont think it would change the sound at all really. Also, since its fully opened, just like the stock ones, wouldnt really change it at all.

but they look HELLA nice...

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #1,045 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reivaj do you have any other mods done? I was thinking about going to my school's machine shop and see if i can make some new woody housings. I also saw online that someone used PVC pipe to make a nice deep chamber. Im curious to hear how deeper chamber would sound with these.

It'd probably have the same effect (increased soundstage) as putting on those Grado Liberators, which just make the chambers deeeper.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #1,047 of 3,117
I've had my MS-1s for awhile, and now that i've got a psuedo home rig, I was wondering what's the next upgrade from here. Im tempted to upgrade my MS-1s abit more, maybe woodyfying them, but the money spent for the little SQ increase wont be worth it. Im afraid that the MS-1s wouldn't benefit much more from upgrading amps due to their easy to power nature.

Would the sound quality coming from the MS-1 significantly increase if I ever team it up with a home amp? Or would it be smarter if I just climbed the ladder and upgraded to better cans? (and if so which ones pls.
rs1smile.gif
)

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #1,049 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillKhitie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my MS-1s for awhile, and now that i've got a psuedo home rig, I was wondering what's the next upgrade from here. Im tempted to upgrade my MS-1s abit more, maybe woodyfying them, but the money spent for the little SQ increase wont be worth it. Im afraid that the MS-1s wouldn't benefit much more from upgrading amps due to their easy to power nature.

Would the sound quality coming from the MS-1 significantly increase if I ever team it up with a home amp? Or would it be smarter if I just climbed the ladder and upgraded to better cans? (and if so which ones pls.
rs1smile.gif
)

MS2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back