Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Dec 6, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #646 of 3,117
Guys, a friend of mine has been breathing down my neck to get hold of my MS-1, and he offered me a very good price for it - and that is just what I need to fund my ER4P.

On the other hand, I already had plans for either MS-2i or MS-Pro
tongue.gif
in a few months to come.

But for now, I expect to be spending some time on the move and would likely stayed that way for quite a while since it's the nature of my duty.

The LDM+ remained high on my portable amp list, one of the better pair for an MS-1. That have to go too because Rio Karma DAP built in Amp is already full of juice to pump my Sony E888 and ER4P - so with Rio Karma being a very thick DAP, piling it up with an amp will make them less feasible for mobility.

Like I said earlier, my love for MS-1 will never wane, it's just that I am selling most of my previous rigs to finance my newly acquired Rio Karma, E888 and ER4P - a highly portable rig.

When I am able to settle down again for a desk duty, at the very least MS-1 will be mine again......or that could be an MS-Pro......

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #648 of 3,117
by popular demand, my 414 + bowls + SR-225s which (to me) increases soundstage like woah and helps improve comfort and tames the highs a little while keeping the level of detail

heres the finished product
IMG_0993-1.jpg

bowls on like this to decrease discomfort caused by the bowls pushing on the tips of the ears
IMG_0988.jpg

sorry for the huge pics of my ugly mug

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #649 of 3,117
There goes my chance to listen to EFN's ms-1 again. I still remember the sound and airiness of it and the incredible comfort. And the cabling work he saw so kind to do for me is still looking lovely(gonna re-terminate it into a L-plug once I get some quality parts in S'pore).
Oh well, hope you enjoy your new er4p!

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #650 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There goes my chance to listen to EFN's ms-1 again. I still remember the sound and airiness of it and the incredible comfort. And the cabling work he saw so kind to do for me is still looking lovely(gonna re-terminate it into a L-plug once I get some quality parts in S'pore).
Oh well, hope you enjoy your new er4p!

No worries, you are always welcomed to try out my Ety when they arrive next week and E888LP. And I still wana try out your GV5.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #651 of 3,117
I just found my lost SR80!!! My wife hid it from me unintentionally!! Now I have MS-1 w/reversed comfie and SR-80 with the bowls. I just had some chances to compare them and also I got to try MS-1 with bowl as well.

What a day!! I also completed my first DIY amp which is a RA-1 clone and I managed to fit it in the altoids can with some modification to the case. (It's impossible to put those gigantic Solen input caps and two batteries and other components in altoids box)

First MS-1 with amp and without.

Makes world of difference!! even at low volume now the bass is much more confident and there definitely is much more dynamic, sounds stage. In three words, everything is better with it (this is with cheap IC from headphone out, Toubodock is on the way) I am quite happy with this amp now so I don't think I will be looking for a new amp for a while.

SR-80 vs. MS-1

SR-80 definitely has up-on-your face sound from strong bass impact to robust highs and mids. This actually gives you impression that there is more dynamic with SR-80 than MS-1. MS-1 as everyone know is much more laid back and this is true there is a immediate difference between two phones. It seems that it takes a bit more volume to drive MS-1 it might be because of the laid back attitude that makes me perceive the sound that way. But increased volume seems to give more sounds stage than SR-80 which is a good thing. After listening for a while between the two I have decided that I still like MS-1 better. The dynamic range is ultimately the same but I seem to like the balance of MS-1 better now.

MS-1 w/ bowl vs. reversed comfie.

AS for the comfort, they actually give you different feeling all together. Remind you these bowls are very used and now really soft. but it gives you more closed studio like feel. Reversed comfies just stay on your ear so feels much lighter. I think the comfort level is ultimately the same and I would argue that it is more about the preference. Reverse comfie heats up my ears more.

As for the SQ difference. The bowl does give you more bass. The mids and high are about same I think. Actually the bowl makes it a little bit less articulated in the mid and highs. This is where my dilemma is. Depending on the song, I find bass with the bowl a bit too much for my liking. It's not really boomy but it feels a bit boomy compared to reversed comfie. So with Bowl to me MS-1 becomes much warmer headphone, but i feel that it sacrifices some soundstage.

SR-80 on the other had sounds much more balanced with the bowls, reversed comfies are really disappointing on it.

If you don't want an amp I think SR-80 might give you bit more ummps MS-1 sounds bit flat/boring in comparison without the amp. But with the amp I like the MS-1 better

Anyway I will be keeping my MS-1 and I am giving my wife my old SR-80. but I can always exchange them whenever I feel like changing.
icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #652 of 3,117
Folks. Should i buy MS1 since i already have SR225? Would it be worth it you know, for home use, to get Alessandro flavor in da house? MS1 is definetly a lesser model compared to SR225, i already know that.

I know MS1 sound signature, but now im in serious dilemma since i havent listened them side by side, and i wonder if SR225 does everything so much better already that MS1 would only be left collecting dust?

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #653 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks. Should i buy MS1 since i already have SR225? Would it be worth it you know, for home use, to get Alessandro flavor in da house? MS1 is definetly a lesser model compared to SR225, i already know that.

I know MS1 sound signature, but now im in serious dilemma since i havent listened them side by side, and i wonder if SR225 does everything so much better already that MS1 would only be left collecting dust?

My questions also. Please someone answer this.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #654 of 3,117
Quote:

Hey MaZa, I have listened to both. If you dont have any issue with SR225 getting bright, then you will find MS-1 too relaxed. Just slam your MS-1 with a holed comfies and you will get an MS-1 signature...but of coure it will be a lot PRATty and might be brighter.

Between SR225 and MS-1, honestly I don't find much difference SQ wise (IMHO). SR225 has superiority in Grado slam and slightly refined lower freq tho, depending on source.

Hope this helps.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #655 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey MaZa, I have listened to both. If you dont have any issue with SR225 getting bright, then you will find MS-1 too relaxed. Just slam your MS-1 with a holed comfies and you will get an MS-1 signature...but of coure it will be a lot PRATty and might be brighter.

Between SR225 and MS-1, honestly I don't find much difference SQ wise (IMHO). SR225 has superiority in Grado slam and slightly refined lower freq tho, depending on source.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I think i pass MS1 this time then, and put that saved money to my amplifier piggy bank.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #656 of 3,117
Quote:

I sold my 225s for MS-1s, knowing that the 225s were technically better. To my ears, I loved the sound of the 225s, but they were just a tad too bright on female vocals at high volumes for me. The MS-1s are just perfect for me, so I am thrilled. They are pretty darn close though, so I don't know if I would own both.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #657 of 3,117
Well so far i have found SR225 too bright in two occasions. In one unnaturally uber-bright blackmetal album, and one on Amon Amarths live-DVD. Both were fixed with flat pads.
biggrin.gif
So brightness hasnt exactly been an issue...
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #659 of 3,117
I'm pretty sure this has been covered somewhere in the forums before, but I'd like to know what everyone's experiences were when you ordered a pair of MS-1/2i/Pros from the alessandro website. I think I've placed an order about a week ago and I received the order confirmation, but no shipping notice so far. Shot off an email 1-2 days ago but no reply as well.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #660 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am bidding farewell to my much loved MS-1.

With my new upcoming job, I will be on the road most of the time and the need for ultraportable rig is more apparent than ever. In place of MS-1, I am awaiting the arrival of my Etymotic ER4P to pair up with my Rio Karma together with Sony E888LP earbuds. And selling of MS-1 as part of my funding for the expensive ER4P and E888 combined. I even sold off my LDM+ to set up my new rig
plainface.gif

I don't listen musch at home and the office so my MS-1 will be collecting dusts once I am on the road.

She will be sorely missed, MS-1 showed me the real deal about enjoying music through "ear helmets"
tongue.gif

If I have the prevililege to use headphone again, surely I will go for another MS-1.

An yes, Sony E888LP (filter modded) bear similar sound signature to MS-1, I can only hope that my upcoming ER4P will do justice to entertain me with those lovely highs that MS-1 have.

I will remain active in this thread......MS-1 love will not fade away
wink.gif

You'll love the er4p's. Great choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back