Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Dec 5, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #631 of 3,117
Dont pass on the headband mod that is pictured on this page.For 16 bucks shipped you get a Beyerdynamic headband cover that fits perfect over the hard plastic Grado band.Soft and very light it really adds to the MS1 comfort.Dont remember the link to the part number but its on the forum connected to MS1 headband mod thread.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #632 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by knalb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MX518 and MS-1 two smart moves

mx518ms1.jpg

Actually, I see 3 smart moves....

Nice TonePort...

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #633 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should take a pic of my MS-1 with my MX518 too
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't have the yellow thing going though.

All good! its the ms1 thread not the 414 pad + mx518+ms1 thread
580smile.gif
go ahead and share the love!

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #636 of 3,117
Can someone direct me to a pic or explanation of the 414s being holed AND reveresed. I read so many threads I'm dizzy. What I'm after is an explanation of the reverse (I now it should be obvious) and the best way to hole mod them (size, method, etc.)

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #637 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr. John /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone direct me to a pic or explanation of the 414s being holed AND reveresed. I read so many threads I'm dizzy. What I'm after is an explanation of the reverse (I now it should be obvious) and the best way to hole mod them (size, method, etc.)

Ah, ok.

The 414s come from the factory with only one hole; the one that mounts to the housing. That's cool, but it blocks some of the sound since the pad side toward the ears is a solid piece(sheet)of foam.

To let more of the sound get its' freedom; the pads are cut with a hole of various sizes from dime sized to silver dollar sized! And everywhere in between!

I prefer the "socket-mod" version of cutting the holes: I simply use the appropriate sized socket and properly massive hammer and just thwack away at the socket, with the pads resting on a somewhat soft piece of wood. The socket drives(usually)cleanly through the pad material!

Where a problem can come in is when the hole is cut to the max...the over-all size of the drivers concentric rings of holes....that some folks find that their ears now hit the drivers' screens.

..and that can be an ouch! (that's what happened to me!)

At that point the pads can be reversed by using the NEW holes as the mounting diameter and having the original old holes as the new open area above the drivers giving a thicker pad material under the ears. Much more confy! Not only that; but the pads make sort of a ><(without the points)configuration which adds even more squishyness under the ears and for some adds an extra margin of stability.

Dec 5, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #638 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok.

The 414s come from the factory with only one hole; the one that mounts to the housing. That's cool, but it blocks some of the sound since the pad side toward the ears is a solid piece(sheet)of foam.

To let more of the sound get its' freedom; the pads are cut with a hole of various sizes from dime sized to silver dollar sized! And everywhere in between!

I prefer the "socket-mod" version of cutting the holes: I simply use the appropriate sized socket and properly massive hammer and just thwack away at the socket, with the pads resting on a somewhat soft piece of wood. The socket drives(usually)cleanly through the pad material!

Where a problem can come in is when the hole is cut to the max...the over-all size of the drivers concentric rings of holes....that some folks find that their ears now hit the drivers' screens.

..and that can be an ouch! (that's what happened to me!)

At that point the pads can be reversed by using the NEW holes as the mounting diameter and having the original old holes as the new open area above the drivers giving a thicker pad material under the ears. Much more confy! Not only that; but the pads make sort of a ><(without the points)configuration which adds even more squishyness under the ears and for some adds an extra margin of stability.

Excellent. Just what I wanted. Thank you very much.

Now to decide between MS-1s or 225s (I can't afford these but I suppose I could wait a lot longer and save). Not sure if the 225s are much better though.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #639 of 3,117
i just found my favorite pad configuration. normal hd 414pads on the actual headphone and bowls over it. i would post a pic but it looks REALLY stupid!

now i know what soundstage means with this pad configuration. the only downside is that the bowls are pressing pretty hard on the part around my ears, but i think that i can get rid of that with streching out the headband

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #641 of 3,117
I am bidding farewell to my much loved MS-1.

With my new upcoming job, I will be on the road most of the time and the need for ultraportable rig is more apparent than ever. In place of MS-1, I am awaiting the arrival of my Etymotic ER4P to pair up with my Rio Karma together with Sony E888LP earbuds. And selling of MS-1 as part of my funding for the expensive ER4P and E888 combined. I even sold off my LDM+ to set up my new rig
plainface.gif

I don't listen musch at home and the office so my MS-1 will be collecting dusts once I am on the road.

She will be sorely missed, MS-1 showed me the real deal about enjoying music through "ear helmets"
tongue.gif

If I have the prevililege to use headphone again, surely I will go for another MS-1.

An yes, Sony E888LP (filter modded) bear similar sound signature to MS-1, I can only hope that my upcoming ER4P will do justice to entertain me with those lovely highs that MS-1 have.

I will remain active in this thread......MS-1 love will not fade away
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #642 of 3,117
Oh that's so sad, what'll happen to MS-1 Fan club thread?!?
rolleyes.gif

But shouldn't you still consider keeping them. They could be this rewarding thingy waiting for you when you come back from the trip. Your ears are fed up with IEM's and are yearning for some real phones. That's when you go to your drawer in take out the MS-1's
icon10.gif
So long IEM's for a while
etysmile.gif

Also, how could you give up your LDM that you were so openly recommending to people. You had it for like a month?!? Yeah, and your MS-1's were recabled... Someone's going to be so lucky
tongue.gif

But anyway, don't go anywhere, keep spreading the MS-1 love that you defo have in you
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #644 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by knalb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN you are the embodiment of this thread!!! without MS-1s, what will become of our little MS-1 world?

Total gravitational collapse into a black(plastic)hole with an accretion disc the size and shape of a reversed and modded 414?!!
blink.gif

...I think not!

Well,.....we hope not; anyway.
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #645 of 3,117
How can you leave us.I agree with you that quarter modded comfies are more comfortable and sound better than reverse 414.Isnt that a good enough reason to stick around and hold onto your comfie covered MS1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back