Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Nov 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,831 of 2,483
      Quote:
the MS Pro is just too expensive.

They sure are. When I received them and put them on, (just the Pro's with standard bowls) I was underwhelmed like nobody's business. I'm glad I found a seller who sold his with distancers and GS1k pads included. All combined cost me far less then a MS Pro costs when directly bought from Alessandro
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #1,832 of 2,483
As someone who sees the MS-Pro as the holy grail and the end road if I could justify the cost, it pains me to see you guys hacking away at it. If I was actually impulsive enough to buy MS-Pro, I'd probably be too scared to put it on my head! The improvements in SQ must be phenomenal for you guys to take it apart and punch holes into it. I wish I could hear this MS Ultimate!

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #1,833 of 2,483
To me the improvements with the mod are indeed phenominal! But no, you should not punch holes in the MS Pro!! That's just for low(er)-end Gradesandro's.

I'm not hacking away at it, it's just that it costs $699 (but I paid $150 less, and the distaners and GS1k pads were included
smily_headphones1.gif
), so with that thought in mind I put them on for the first time. To me, they don't sound like $699. They sound nice and all, but if it stopped at just MS Pro I wouldn't have kept them. But it's also a matter of preference. I like my headphones to have a wide soundstage and I like my bass (to go as deep as possible). The MS Pro gave neither of these two things. Soundstage is very small and bass certainly doesn't go as deep as MS Ultimate. If you only need kickbass, then there's enough in MS Pro, but I need more layers. To me, comfort also greatly improves.

And also, the mod is completely reversible
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,834 of 2,483
Quote:
    Quote:
They sure are. When I received them and put them on, (just the Pro's with standard bowls) I was underwhelmed like nobody's business. I'm glad I found a seller who sold his with distancers and GS1k pads included. All combined cost me far less then a MS Pro costs when directly bought from Alessandro
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
As someone who sees the MS-Pro as the holy grail and the end road if I could justify the cost, it pains me to see you guys hacking away at it. If I was actually impulsive enough to buy MS-Pro, I'd probably be too scared to put it on my head! The improvements in SQ must be phenomenal for you guys to take it apart and punch holes into it. I wish I could hear this MS Ultimate!

my stock vintage are lovely phones, though not quite the holy grail. there seems to be a lot of unit to unit variability with grados. often the older ones are regarded as sounding better, which i suspect has something to do with the wood itself.
i am curious about how the ultimate sounds. i'd love to get drivers and see how they sound in the jaben aluminum cups (http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=14663.0).

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #1,835 of 2,483

Quote:
To me the improvements with the mod are indeed phenominal! But no, you should not punch holes in the MS Pro!! That's just for low(er)-end Gradesandro's.

I'm not hacking away at it, it's just that it costs $699 (but I paid $150 less, and the distaners and GS1k pads were included
smily_headphones1.gif
), so with that thought in mind I put them on for the first time. To me, they don't sound like $699. They sound nice and all, but if it stopped at just MS Pro I wouldn't have kept them. But it's also a matter of preference. I like my headphones to have a wide soundstage and I like my bass (to go as deep as possible). The MS Pro gave neither of these two things. Soundstage is very small and bass certainly doesn't go as deep as MS Ultimate. If you only need kickbass, then there's enough in MS Pro, but I need more layers. To me, comfort also greatly improves.

And also, the mod is completely reversible
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you buy your MS-Pro from another Head-Fier? I've literally had my eye on the FS Forum 24/7 in search of an impulse buy. I've not heard any other Grados/Alessandros. I'm just driven by the obsession to obtain an improvement on my beloved MS-1i and a stupid desire to burn a hole in my bank account.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #1,837 of 2,483

Quote:
Uncle Wilson over at Jaben sells nice red anodized aluminum cups built to spec for this project. this will make it really easy, and it looks pretty cool too!
wink.gif

http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=14663.0

there are also wooden cups made specifically for this, though i can't recall at the moment who sells them. mine were made with them and are quite lovely. they look nicer than my GS1000s!

jaben ALSO has the wooden cups! lol

instead of a 2 piece solution like the metal mod, the wood one is a one piece thing
smily_headphones1.gif
(distancer + cups)

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #1,838 of 2,483
deaththeorist (catchy handle!), do you know how much the metal and the wooden cups are? i don't see prices listed.i've emailed uncle wilson but haven't heard back.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #1,840 of 2,483
As in

[size=138%] 88 Singapore dollars = 68.48248 U.S. dollars!!!?
biggrin.gif
[/size]

That's ridiculously cheap... They even throw in GS1k pads with that!

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #1,841 of 2,483
And look what I also found: a DT770 woodie kit! These guys are unstoppable.

http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=11496.0

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #1,843 of 2,483
Yep, looks like 42-45mm. I personally wouldn't like to wear such an aluminium anvil. I found the weight of PS1, PS1000 & my MS2 also totally out of question.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,844 of 2,483

Quote:
(Multi-post, I know
redface.gif
)

From this picture it appears that the inner diameter is too big. What do you guys think?

I have a pair the drivers fit perfectly from my sr80i.as per picture they sit lower in the housing.I put felt liner on the sidewalls to eliminate reflection of sounds off the metal sidewalls of the housing,acts like a distancer.I like the bowl pads with this housing,the salad bowl pads put your ear to far from the driver.Yes the weight is more.

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,845 of 2,483
I did some more listening and I'm with nickchen when it comes to coated or non-coated pads on MS Ultimate. From now on, I'll run mine with coating
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back