Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Sep 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,666 of 2,483
Quite an idea, Les!
beerchug.gif

IMO the MS2i has always been a bit like the problem child in Alessandro's portfolio. When I had mine new, it sounded like the best can existing, but it soon began to bother me with its shrillness and overbearing agressiveness. "1000ing" never really worked with it either, except that construct with AKG velours pads glued onto comfies.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #1,667 of 2,483

Quote:
Quite an idea, Les!
beerchug.gif

IMO the MS2i has always been a bit like the problem child in Alessandro's portfolio. When I had mine new, it sounded like the best can existing, but it soon began to bother me with its shrillness and overbearing agressiveness. "1000ing" never really worked with it either, except that construct with AKG velours pads glued onto comfies.

I've got one.

How would you do it?

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #1,668 of 2,483
Well...2-4 holes (rather 2, the MS2i has sufficient bass IMO), coated Jumbos and distancers with 4 holes. You propably end up with some of the distancer holes closed though, maybe you need to apply even some "oldschool" houseware fleece layers additionally to the coated Jumbos. But that's theory only...

If it turns out to sound good, you'll have the hell of a can. The technical basis of the MS2 is absolutely on par with the Pro, they differ "only" 
tongue.gif
in respect of the tonality.

Good opportunity to get rid of the heavy metal casing (as beautiful as it looks).

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #1,669 of 2,483

Quote:
Well...2-4 holes (rather 2, the MS2i has sufficient bass IMO), coated Jumbos and distancers with 4 holes. You propably end up with some of the distancer holes closed though, maybe you need to apply even some "oldschool" houseware fleece layers additionally to the coated Jumbos. But that's theory only...

If it turns out to sound good, you'll have the hell of a can. The technical basis of the MS2 is absolutely on par with the Pro, they differ "only" 
tongue.gif
in respect of the tonality.

Good opportunity to get rid of the heavy metal casing (as beautiful as it looks).

Thanx!  Sounds like a plan of attack then!

I gotta plan for the metal cups...

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #1,672 of 2,483

Quote:
Would you guys recommend me to punch holes/t-shirt in jumbos for rock music?

For any genre...

Quote:
what will happen if I use MS2i driver, to woody MS1000 housing? 
biggrin.gif

I bet acoustically nothing much different than in its stock vincinity. The sound chamber of the MS1 and the MS2 are identical, and the effect of different housings are as minor as usage of different amps and cables IMO.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #1,673 of 2,483

The MS2i is definitely one of those cans for team treble. It wasn't really my thing either and it's the can I like the least in the Alessandro lineup. I also tried using distancers with it but the sound was a huge disappointment, it didn't give the same sense of space, bass response and treble detail that the MS1000 gave, just sounded like messy treble. Akg Velours on Comfies? LOL that sounds like quite the thing. Gotta try it sometime.

Quote:
Quite an idea, Les!
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #1,674 of 2,483
Not exactly a looker though, but very comfortable...
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #1,675 of 2,483
I can see that it was a long time ago since this thread started and everyone probably have modded their MS1 already.
However, I just bought them because I was curios to listen to music with something that's considered "good", instead of my usual $15-50 range logitech computer speakers and what not...

Which places have distancers available nowdays? I tried the old links but they didn't work (site gone).
I live in Europe (Sweden)

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #1,676 of 2,483
Propably ApatN or me.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,678 of 2,483
 In the grado mod thread, Bilavideo suggested that wood had a dampening effect while plastic would cause reverberations of sound. He also suggested that this is why most "plastic" grados did not have holes poked through that thin driver cloth.

For those of us without woodies, will it be helpful (or neccesary?) to place a thin cloth around the the interior of the plastic case if we poke holes through the driver cloth?

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,679 of 2,483
I never heared significant differences between a woodied and a stock Gradessandro, and I have heared (and modified) dozens of those beasts meanwhile. Bilavideo's punch hole mod is great, but while respecting him honestly, I tend to disagree on some other of his ideas. He has an affinity towards the bat ear fraction (silver cables etc.) that I personally don't share. But maybe I'm already a bit deaf, who knows, could be possible with 44.

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #1,680 of 2,483
i only read the first 30 or so pages then gave up, but this new stuff at the back sounds really nice. Still deciding whether to make my own distancers out of plumbing pipe (not good with wood) or getting some1 to ship them over. Just wondering though, how does the new ms1000 with the holes in the back of driver and shirt mod fare against everything else, like what kind of price range are they now worth? definitely better than k701 right? =D and are you serious this is 98% of ms pro ultimate? that would be crazy 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back