Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Aug 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #1,531 of 2,483
Quote:
I agree in respect of the weight issue. CF or wood are far superior in that respect.

I just calculated the weight difference based on density.... it should be less than a 5gram (1 US nickel) change between aluminum and carbon fiber....

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #1,532 of 2,483

Quote:
Go for the CARBON FIBER Ones.... you don't want to put and anvil on your head...

Shameless plug for my CF Liberators.. :wink:

So how many grams do the CF ones weigh then?  And price??  
popcorn.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,533 of 2,483

Quote:
I just calculated the weight difference based on density.... it should be less than a 5gram (1 US nickel) change between aluminum and carbon fiber....

Per side obviously?  And assuming identical dimensions between samples of course.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #1,534 of 2,483
Aug 18, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #1,536 of 2,483

Quote:
Unless it's changed in the past day, they're not on sale yet.

I know that but I assume the manufacturer would have a figure at this point.    Sans accessories.  Especially since they have competition now.  
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,538 of 2,483
Given that the scale is accurate to +/- 1 grams

The weight is 14grams (for the pair)

The KEY is that I can tell you guys its NOT going to cost an arm and leg (Testing out shipping options to make a easy all in shipped price) and finalizing the accessories now 

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #1,540 of 2,483
I joined at the right time! I'm new to this and I'm looking forward for a great adventure. I'm gonna purchase an MS-1i very soon and I'm very excited for that. I probably will do the mod too :)

EDIT: Another thing, would this void the warranty of the headphones?

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #1,541 of 2,483

I would say that all depends what method you use to attached the liberators to the headphones.
There are "semi" permanent epoxy options out there

Blue Tak actually hold very well if you spend the time and roll out a very fine and even piece and is great for test fitting before you choose to go perm
Quote:
I joined at the right time! I'm new to this and I'm looking forward for a great adventure. I'm gonna purchase an MS-1i very soon and I'm very excited for that. I probably will do the mod too :)

EDIT: Another thing, would this void the warranty of the headphones?

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #1,542 of 2,483

I've recently abandoned distancers altogether. 

If you open up the holes in the driver housing to let some more air through to the driver and then line the driver housing with some felt to control the resulting increase in bass, this seems to make them very ammenable to jumbo pads.

The MS1000 method of layering up kitchen felt to control treble and thus increase the balance of bass does also reduce the clarity a little, and the sub-bass never gets to the quality of the hole punch mod (IMO) although on the flip side the MS1000 clearly wins in sound stage - much larger, although the hp method still has a great ss.

Now I can just wear jumbo pads straight on the MS1 and they are a better fit and don't look quite as silly. The down side is that while it extends the sub bass and keeps the perfect clarity while using jumbos, if I go back to bowls or flats there is also a bit of extra mid-bass. Not much, but it's there and as Grados usually have such controlled mid bass, it does seem out of place.

All in all it's a personal judgement call, since it is non reversible and the MS1000 mod isn't, I can understand a lot of people won't go for it. But for me, I only bought the MS1 because you can mod them to use jumbos - and I think I've found the best way for me of doing that.

If you open up the holes in the driver housing to let some more air through to the driver and then line the driver housing with some felt to control the resulting increase in bass, this seems to make them very ammenable to jumbo pads.

The MS1000 method of layering up kitchen felt to control treble and thus increase the balance of bass does also reduce the clarity a little, and the sub-bass never gets to the quality of the hole punch mod (IMO) although on the flip side the MS1000 clearly wins in sound stage - much larger, although the hp method still has a great ss.

Now I can just wear jumbo pads straight on the MS1 and they are a better fit and don't look quite as silly. The down side is that while it extends the sub bass and keeps the perfect clarity while using jumbos, if I go back to bowls or flats there is also a bit of extra mid-bass. Not much, but it's there and as Grados usually have such controlled mid bass, it does seem out of place.

All in all it's a personal judgement call, since it is non reversible and the MS1000 mod isn't, I can understand a lot of people won't go for it. But for me, I only bought the MS1 because you can mod them to use jumbos - and I think I've found the best way for me of doing that.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #1,543 of 2,483

Quote:

Pics would be more distinct, I'm not totally sure what "holes in the driver housing" are in question, and maybe you call "housing" what others describe as "sound chamber" (and vice versa).

Interesting nevertheless that you seem to have solved (did you?) the problem of the honky mids when Jumbos are utilized without distancers.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,544 of 2,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back