Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #1,516 of 2,483

Quote:
10x more comfortable now and they sound much better to boot, love the mod 
beerchug.gif

I used aluminum, and I'm not sure how the sound signature changed between using metal instead of wood.

Welcome to the club, sit down, take a cookie 
biggrin.gif

I have severe doubts that material of the distancers plays any role, provided things got damped as described in post #1.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #1,517 of 2,483
Hi guys and girls.
Have been found this thread to be really fun and i would love to try this mod. with my MS-1. As i love my MS-1 and like the AKG sound but not the absence of base..

So my question is is there any good site to get the GS1000 pads from(Shipping to Europe)? I will check the sites in the first posted when i get home from work (and do a bit of googling). 

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #1,518 of 2,483
I've found something interesting, at first post wrote that distancer is usefull so the jumbo pad will not kill the mid.

Ok, let me tell a bit about my MS1i. I'm using woody from Oery, which is the Mark I type. Then put the jumbo pad and PX100 pad to it. The sound that I get is just like the standar MS1i, with much better staging, better quality of bass, less midbass, better clarity, and still produce the pronounce mid (or vocal). (also more accurate sound I guess)

From what I learned from this thread and "Post You Grado Mod" thread through so many pages, I think the secret of my MS1i the distance between mesh and driver, and also the type of mesh I'm using.

With more distance between driver and mesh, and bigger holes mesh, it can change the sound become warmer, fuller, and if I'm using the bowl pad, it's just muddy.

So what you think about this guys? 

here is the pict of my MS1i

uhyf.jpg

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,519 of 2,483

Quote:
So my question is is there any good site to get the GS1000 pads from(Shipping to Europe)? I will check the sites in the first posted when i get home from work (and do a bit of googling). 

All places known to me are mentioned in post #1.

Quote:
From what I learned from this thread and "Post You Grado Mod" thread through so many pages, I think the secret of my MS1i the distance between mesh and driver, and also the type of mesh I'm using.  

Kind of "built-in" distancer, I guess.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #1,520 of 2,483
Quote:
Kind of "built-in" distancer, I guess.

But adding wood cup's wouldn't change the position of the drivers to your ear/the jumbo pads. I THINK he is trying to make an arguement that adding enlongated woody cups improved his sound. I was playing around with my hands against the back end of the drivers and I kinda got the impression that if the cup was longer it would sound better (by making an "O" with my hand). I will try to tape my spare distancers to the outside of the cup when I get home from work and tell you guys if there is a sound difference. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #1,521 of 2,483

Quote:
But adding wood cup's wouldn't change the position of the drivers to your ear/the jumbo pads. I THINK he is trying to make an arguement that adding enlongated woody cups improved his sound. I was playing around with my hands against the back end of the drivers and I kinda got the impression that if the cup was longer it would sound better (by making an "O" with my hand). I will try to tape my spare distancers to the outside of the cup when I get home from work and tell you guys if there is a sound difference. 

oh, I get it, the distance that I'm talking about is, the distance between MESH and DRIVER 
smile.gif

and yeah, cant wait about your experiment, I think I'll try it too later 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #1,522 of 2,483
Quote:
oh, I get it, the distance that I'm talking about is, the distance between MESH and DRIVER 
smile.gif

The mesh on the back side of the headphones right (the mesh I can physically see in the picture)? 

From what I have read, distance between the back mesh and the driver shouldn't matter much. But I'm wondering if having the extra cup length on the back of the cup would help give the driver more "oomph" directed towards your ear. Do you guys think elongated tube on the outside of the headphones would act like "rifling" (for lack of a better word) for the air vibrations and direct more audio goodness directly towards your ear? 

Here is an MSpaint drawing to help visually describe how I think a longer back end to the cup MIGHT help sound quality.I have no idea of this is right or not. I figure there is a similar thing happening with adding distancers.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,523 of 2,483

Quote:
Quote:

The mesh on the back side of the headphones right (the mesh I can physically see in the picture)? 

From what I have read, distance between the back mesh and the driver shouldn't matter much. But I'm wondering if having the extra cup length on the back of the cup would help give the driver more "oomph" directed towards your ear. Do you guys think elongated tube on the outside of the headphones would act like "rifling" (for lack of a better word) for the air vibrations and direct more audio goodness directly towards your ear? 

yup you're right, that mesh.

the distance between mesh and driver will change the sound for sure, I've already tried it at plastic standard cup for MS1i.

I push the driver deeper (unglued condition), then try the sound, and it's surprising me, the sound becomes brighter, thinner, and the treble becomes more prominent than standard MS1i.

also, if you want to give extra cup, just make sure you don't use the mesh, because mesh can become the "wall". Or perhaps you can change the mesh location to the edge of your extra cup.

So, it's all about "air-flow".

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,524 of 2,483
My & NoXter's findings were absolutely different...length & shape of the housings were totally irrelevant.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,525 of 2,483
Yeah, adding distancers to the outside of the can did absolutely nothing...

On another note, my buddy is now selling aluminum distancers for anyone that wants to buy some. He works in a machine shop in Ohio (US) and he can make some quality stuff. He said he'll make each set for $30 + shipping and paypay fees (shipping to me was ~$4 for 2 sets). Here are a pic of the ones he made for me. 

He can make them to any specifications you want. Crappy felt and glue work is mine and not included. 
Sorry for the fuzzy shot, my camera sucks. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #1,527 of 2,483
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #1,528 of 2,483
Looks like North America is going from undersupply to oversupply
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #1,530 of 2,483
I agree in respect of the weight issue. CF or wood are far superior in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back