Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jul 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,459 of 2,483

Quote:
From my personal experience, woodies/wire mesh changes are mostly cosmetic. Some swear by that, and for me personally, I do notice slight changes in music (especially changing the entire cup, ala, deeper cups), it made the sound airier.

Some say mesh changes matter due to the +/- of airflow, but it could simply be placebo. 

I've had lots of customes who swore to have more of this and better that with their new woody, but, well...I personally don't hear a thing to be honest.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #1,460 of 2,483
It was such a long time ago that I replaced the plastic mesh for some more airy metal one. I think it changed the sound a little but I am not sure after such a long time.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #1,461 of 2,483

Quote:
It was such a long time ago that I replaced the plastic mesh for some more airy metal one. I think it changed the sound a little but I am not sure after such a long time.

I do believe that one.  Reducing backpressure by increasing the rate of airflow behind the driver should improve SQ.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,463 of 2,483
Quote:
I do believe that one.  Reducing backpressure by increasing the rate of airflow behind the driver should improve SQ.

We are talking about a 40mm headphone driver. There is not really backpressure and airflow and the sound itself isn't affected by a grid in that distance. Nickchen and I tested that carefully.

And generally, when 'audiophile' people change things on headphones, it is an improvement but rarest a deterioration. I experience that as a bit strange.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,464 of 2,483

Quote:
Quote:

We are talking about a 40mm headphone driver. There is not really backpressure and airflow and the sound itself isn't affected by a grid in that distance. Nickchen and I tested that carefully.

And generally, when 'audiophile' people change things on headphones, it is an improvement but rarest a deterioration. I experience that as a bit strange.

Really?  So you think Grado changing the mesh on their higher ends phones and stating they improved airflow behind the driver is just marketing BS then?  Now whether or not you are correct in this case I can't say for sure.  I do for a fact understand how airflow works and that the mesh grill will be more efficient and flow more CFM than that plastic backing.  By that fact alone I would need more convincing to keep the stock grill than to replace it for something better.  If that makes sense.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #1,465 of 2,483

Quote:
So you think Grado changing the mesh on their higher ends phones and stating they improved airflow behind the driver is just marketing BS

Grado uses metal-grids on their headphones much longer than these crappy plastic-grids. Of course it is marketing.

The point is, there is not enough airflow to make a difference which you can hear.
But of course I would change the grid. The Ms1 will look much better with another one.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back