Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jul 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,442 of 2,483

Quote:
Looks like I was fortunate enough to get to beta test the carbon fiber liberators for cerebrous.  I'll be sure to post here with my findings. 

Like: When I put the other thingies on, gravity halved on the whole place, and me & my family got blinking violet spots everywhere which were extremely nice to look at?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #1,443 of 2,483
Kinda sorry I sold my MS1000 setup. But it does appear that my pair is getting around on Head-Fi.
Fortunately I still have a pair of distancers, so somewhere down the line I'll likely build another pair.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,446 of 2,483
So I'll start by saying that I stopped reading this thread at page 20 or so... great info !

I have a pair of SR-60i and I just bought some MS-1s. The reason this thread seemed interesting is because I'd like to have some really good home headphones and some that I can go out with without looking too quirky. The SR60i are way thicker than the MS-1 so I was thinking if I can do the following:
- Have the MS1 for outside use with HD414 flats and...
- mod the already weird looking SR60i with distancers and bowl pads.

The SR60i already have an improved casing so maybe distancers aren't even necessary.... any thoughts on this?
Did anybody already try this mod on some SR60 / SR60i ?

I'm sorry if the answer is already somewhere in this thread but it has 97 pages, damn !

Congratulations to all of you for these great contributions. A month ago there I was wanting to buy some better headphones and looking at Bose, and then I had the great idea of doing my research on the topic and found this forum... I immediately bought the SR60i and been smiling about while listening to old tunes I thought I knew by heart.

Cheers.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #1,447 of 2,483

Quote:
Like: When I put the other thingies on, gravity halved on the whole place, and me & my family got blinking violet spots everywhere which were extremely nice to look at?
evil_smiley.gif

You forgot to mention that the floor opened, and that when you peered over the edge you heard the sweet singing of the stars.

D:

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #1,448 of 2,483

Quote:
So I'll start by saying that I stopped reading this thread at page 20 or so... great info !

I have a pair of SR-60i and I just bought some MS-1s. The reason this thread seemed interesting is because I'd like to have some really good home headphones and some that I can go out with without looking too quirky. The SR60i are way thicker than the MS-1 so I was thinking if I can do the following:

The SR60i already have an improved casing so maybe distancers aren't even necessary.... any thoughts on this?

I'm sorry if the answer is already somewhere in this thread but it has 97 pages, damn !

Congratulations to all of you for these great contributions. A month ago there I was wanting to buy some better headphones and looking at Bose, and then I had the great idea of doing my research on the topic and found this forum... I immediately bought the SR60i and been smiling about while listening to old tunes I thought I knew by heart.

Cheers.

To be honest, I suggest doing vice versa, keep the Grado stock(ish) and mod the MS1. The casing does next to nothing in respect of SQ, and applying the mod has a bit of EQ'ing the extreme ends of the frequency band. That is a nice effect for a MS1, but not exactly to be desired for a Grado.

...unless you are a bit "remote" and often wake up in the morning thinking you're an onion (in which case you'd end up with an Ultrasone in medium terms anyway)
wink.gif

Quote:
You forgot to mention that the floor opened, and that when you peered over the edge you heard the sweet singing of the stars.

D:

biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,449 of 2,483

Quote:
Dragos said:

Cheers.

Since this mod really is intended for MS1s and, if you're that worried about looks, you could swap the casing. It would just require some elbow grease.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,450 of 2,483
@Nickchen: Thanks for the advice, I'll arrive in Karlsruhe in september so I might want some distancers :D, I'm in the US for the moment so I'll order the G cushions here.
@Zwguy: Wow, you saved me with this. Brilliantly simple idea, it's so simple, I was like, why didn't I think of that?!?

While I'll be opening them to change the housing, besides looks, are there any other reasons why I'd like to change the grill to metal wiring or the whole casing for a woodie ?

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,453 of 2,483
Jul 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,454 of 2,483
Yeah, I've read the grado mod page on headwize... I'm a science student so I'll probably have enough brains not to damage the driver. Anyway, on the metal grill/woodie thing, could you give me some input?

Besides gorgeous looks, will I gain any sound improvements from woodies/wire mesh ?

I could buy and install wire mesh here in the US but I'll have to get to Germany and ask nickchen for some nice woodies :) So I was just asking if it's really worth the trouble ... as a student I don't have hundreds of euros to burn on sound... I already do that with photography 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,455 of 2,483
From my personal experience, woodies/wire mesh changes are mostly cosmetic. Some swear by that, and for me personally, I do notice slight changes in music (especially changing the entire cup, ala, deeper cups), it made the sound airier.

Some say mesh changes matter due to the +/- of airflow, but it could simply be placebo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back