Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,066 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me for not reading through all seventy-some pages, this might have been descussed before
smily_headphones1.gif

It has.
wink.gif

I tried the reversed HD414 pads and liked the results. With the reversed yellow pads the MS-1s sound a bit boomy but nothing too bad. Definitely better than stock. For the full effect you have to get the GS1k pads though.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #1,069 of 2,483
Quote:

Forgive me for not reading through all seventy-some pages, this might have been descussed before
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't like it with bowls or 414s (no matter if reversed or not), strange mids and a redneck bass. A MS1 should kept totally stock or modded completely IMO.

Try TTVJ as source for Jumbos.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #1,070 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like it with bowls or 414s (no matter if reversed or not), strange mids and a redneck bass. A MS1 should kept totally stock or modded completely IMO.

Try TTVJ as source for Jumbos.

Reversed 414 was simply magical with some acoustic/unplugged/female vocal. But for most of my music they really don't work. just got a bit excited, good to hear the g cushions are far better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #1,071 of 2,483
Quote:

Reversed 414 was simply magical with some acoustic/unplugged/female vocal.

Yep, the 414+distancer sound resembles the infamous AT coloration a bit. No wonder that the hardrock- and singer/songwriter fraction loves their queeky ATs so dearly.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #1,073 of 2,483
Got the G cushions locally for about $80. The MS-1000 mod ended up costing more than the cans :|

But.... it was worth it! Love the soundstage on these, still working on getting the highs the way I want dem, got 2 open holes on the distancers at the moment. They work best at low volume for me.

I haven't tried Grados much. What Grado comes closest to the MS-1000 would you say?

K

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #1,074 of 2,483
Quote:

What Grado comes closest to the MS-1000 would you say?

Maybe a mix out of a SR225 (mids & treble) and a GS1000 (bass layers & soundscape).

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #1,077 of 2,483
Could I do this mod with a hand/jig saw?
ph34r.gif
It's all the wood cutting stuff I have. Oh, and I have a dremel.
tongue.gif

Would the liberators be made out of household items? Like bottles, caps, discs, etc.

Or PVC? I really need help on this.
wink_face.gif
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #1,078 of 2,483
The most easy material to build them is wood. Wood is put into shape by means of a cheap drill saw or a lathe. 2nd best would be PVC or so, but you need to find something with at least roughly correct shape that can be altered to fit. But you need to get to the correct dimensions as described in post #1 if you don't want to end up with a satire of a headphone.

A handsaw and a jigsaw in combination with a dremel theoretically work as tools, but you need to be dead patient and careful to achieve the goal.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #1,079 of 2,483
As some of you might already have read, I have equipped my DT880 with 600Ω systems, and I am very fond of what I hear.

However, if further break-in doesn't work wonders, I doubt the DT880'600 will be able to dethrone the MS Pro Ultimate. That pimped Alessandro combination of emotion, naturalness and soundscape is a hard nut to crack. The Beyer is nicer to wear though.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #1,080 of 2,483
Any woods you recommend? I'm thinking a red oak or poplar... Easy to find.

I think I have a drill saw.... lemme check
tongue.gif

EDIT: I have a drill saw
biggrin.gif
now getting the correct bit... I'll go my hardware store soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most easy material to build them is wood. Wood is put into shape by means of a cheap drill saw or a lathe. 2nd best would be PVC or so, but you need to find something with at least roughly correct shape that can be altered to fit. But you need to get to the correct dimensions as described in post #1 if you don't want to end up with a satire of a headphone.

A handsaw and a jigsaw in combination with a dremel theoretically work as tools, but you need to be dead patient and careful to achieve the goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back