Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jan 16, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #1,051 of 2,483
I was thinking mdf too. They look very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,053 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many layers do you use, nickchen?

OK, I've tried to tune that MS1000 to sound as close to my MS Pro Ulti as possible. That turned out into a 2-layers-inside-&-3-layers-outside configuration.

They sound quite alike now, the MS1K doesn't quite achieve the Ulti's deep bass, blackness and detailling abilities though. Barely noticeable for me personally, but I guess our bat ear freaks here would state that as night-and-day difference.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,054 of 2,483
I will try it with my fleece. I use two layers in and one layer on the distancer. I tried putting some extra fleece in the pads but didn't like the result.

I think with the stuff I am using that four layers on the distancer is a bit too much but I'll try anyway. I will report later (now is studying time).

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #1,055 of 2,483
Due to the infamous Gradessandro quality spreads, it's nuts to compare our findings anyway.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,056 of 2,483
I guess my MS1000i's are now "boutiqued out" with woodies and JMoney leather band... I will do pix soon, but for now I would rather just listen to 'em... Thats the point of all this, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #1,057 of 2,483
I added two extra layers on the distancer for a total of three layers on the distancer and two on the driver.

The extra layers on the distancer pushed the upper mids back even further. You'll have a hard time finding sibilant notes now. This has become a very balanced sounding pair of phones now. Really the only thing I miss is the resolution of some higher end phones and I guess the Ultimate is just that phone. Everything else is wonderful: the wonderful soundstage and the slamming and deeply layered bass and the overall emotion make these things sing. It is really scary how close these come to my DT880s (I guess that now really comes down to preference).

Never thought dampening could make this kind of difference. I am going to give the MS1000 more listening time. That much is sure! Thanks nickchen for your sharing your modding efforts.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,058 of 2,483
Hey guys;

How much do the tools cost (hole saws, sanding, etc.) for the liberators?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #1,060 of 2,483
Thought of an awesome idea:

MS701000. Like a K701 look, but MS1000 sound.

White (wood/plastic) cups, some grey accents, J$ dark brown headband, MS1000 mod...

What do people here think?

EDIT: photoshop picture. It's pretty bad though.
xp10101011copy.jpg

From nickchen.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,061 of 2,483
I always thought that there must be lovers of white fons, but I bet they are seldom.

I think it would be easier to build something like that out of "ignoble blond woods" and to lacquer it white later.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,062 of 2,483
Nice idea, the (cheap) white plasticky look (IMHO!) draws the attention away from the huuuuuuuuuuuge bowls, for a moment.
Sorry. :s

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,064 of 2,483
Forgive me for not reading through all seventy-some pages, this might have been descussed before
smily_headphones1.gif

Have anyone tried the distancers with other pads? Since I'm not using my MS-1s at the moment, I decided to glue on the distancers and try it out with my quarter modded 414 pads. It resulted in far too much precense somewhere around the 1khz mark, a bit below perhaps. EQ-ing improved it a bit, but it sounded artificial. So I reversed the pads, pushed the 'phones as far forward as possible to get max distance from driver to ear and was stunned for a moment! The presence of the female vocals moved me, like nothing I've ever heard, mesmerizing. Soundstage was so big, and everything in it was big. Clarity is as transparent as glas, almost unreal in a very real way
smily_headphones1.gif
And bass extends much further than before.

But this comes at a price. Everything from snare drums and up has way too much energy, the deep bass lacks a bit of control and male vocals can be a little synthetic and hollow. Pulling the headphones back to a normal position increases the hollowness and adds a bit of sizzle to the top.

I need to get me a set of G cushions soon! It'll be interesting to see how much is fixed and if anything is lost.

I thought I had the GS-1000 pads on the way. Got an order confirmation saying $47.50 shipped up here, but a week later I was informed this was wrong and they (one of the sponsors here) asked $70. I asked them for a better deal and got nothing. I guess I should just let it go!?

K

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,065 of 2,483
Just order from TTVJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I had the GS-1000 pads on the way. Got an order confirmation saying $47.50 shipped up here, but a week later I was informed this was wrong and they (one of the sponsors here) asked $70. I asked them for a better deal and got nothing. I guess I should just let it go!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back