Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jul 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #151 of 2,483
A fully modded MS2 turned out to be a bit shrill, only to be recommended for team treble. For some reason, also the soundscape was not as monstrous as the other Alessandro models.

On the other hand, I quite liked the MS2 with distancers and reversed 414s - nothing spectacular, but at least nice.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #152 of 2,483
Distancers (Nickchen specs) now available in North America. Send me a pm if you're looking for some.
IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

Canadian Maple
biggrin.gif

EDIT: On the advice of trusted madman Mapstec I have installed these on my 325s :yikes:

IMG_1762.jpg

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #153 of 2,483
Wow, solid craftsmanship! Did you use a lathe?

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #156 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood is sealed with shellac (non-toxic, natural).

Needless IMO. But nice though.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #157 of 2,483
Well, i shouldn't have...

Daaaamn, the holder for the driver-chamber broke during disassembling the original liberator.
messer.gif

Definetely a point where the self-made distancers are better.

Ok, i tested a bit. MS2i with distancer and bigbowls are too shrill an thin sounding. Bass+headstage is not so impressing as on MSpro or MS1k. Forget about it...
MS2i with distancer and quarter-reversed-HD414 is better than stock, but nothing dramatical. It gets mostly a bit subdued.

And now I have to find some glue...

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #158 of 2,483
If you don't find good glue, you know where I'm situated
wink.gif

My vote for Epoxy.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #159 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Distancers (Nickchen specs) now available in North America. Send me a pm if you're looking for some.

Canadian Maple
biggrin.gif

Awesome work rds!

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #161 of 2,483
And I had severe trouble with my MS Ultimate. The s*cker just didn't develop any deep bass.
frown.gif

Long story summarized, the distancers were too tight!!! I had sealed everything absolutely scientificly, but I needed at least one new 1mm drilling in each distancer to get that fine deep bass that I adored so much at my less scientificly made MS1000.

I know, I was the one who had stated
Quote:

It is important that the distancers are tight

but obviously that isn't completely true. Too tight kills deep bass as well as too loose.

[size=medium]A distancer works best when sealing 95% tight![/size]

Folks, you all better go and examine your distancers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #163 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I had severe trouble with my MS Ultimate. The s*cker just didn't develop any deep bass.
frown.gif

Long story summarized, the distancers were too tight!!! I had sealed everything absolutely scientificly, but I needed at least one new 1mm drilling in each distancer to get that fine deep bass that I adored so much at my less scientificly made MS1000.

but obviously that isn't completely true. Too tight kills deep bass as well as too loose.

smily_headphones1.gif

Just an additional reason why I like my semipermanent blu tak solution better than epoxy glue ........

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #164 of 2,483
Great revelation nickchen! Could you elaborate on "I needed at least one new 1mm drilling in each distancer"? Do you mean the outside ring that fits into the cup needs to be a little looser? Doesn't that affect how sturdy the distancers are fit into the cups? Should the MS1000s have the 1mm drilling also? or only the Ultimates?

Keep up the research. Soon, these MS1000s will be MS10000s, or MS10ks
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #165 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great revelation nickchen! Could you elaborate on "I needed at least one new 1mm drilling in each distancer"? Do you mean the outside ring that fits into the cup needs to be a little looser? Doesn't that affect how sturdy the distancers are fit into the cups? Should the MS1000s have the 1mm drilling also? or only the Ultimates?

I just drilled one hole in the 4mm ring of each distancer, somewhere in the middle. I got that idea from examining my bassier MS1000 a bit closer, where I found some mini-gaps in the glue region which must have enabled some "breathing".

Mapstec suggested to equip every distancer with such a drilling from begin on, and I guess I'll do so. Everyone can do his own examinations by leaving the drill open or closing it with a piece of tape.

The longer I am this modding bussiness, the more unsure I get about "obliging" rules. Every model seems to react differently - not to mention the immense quality spread. I've experienced two MS1 models sounding more different than a MS2 and a PS1. Go figure!

Cosmo is right that non-permanent fixation is a better way. Guess I have to organize myself such stuff in order to have better conditions for future experiments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back