Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jan 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,401 of 2,483
I just got apatN's distancer and quickly applied it on my MS Pro with some adhesive gum. I quickly noticed some details I have never heard before, or were just to low for my ears. Sorry I don't know audiophile jargons so I can't explain it the way you might understand easily. All I can say is it has improved my listening experience all throughout the spectrum. The bass if more pronounced. I've only heard a few songs though, and these songs I kept listening to for a week I don't know if it's enough for me to discern between stock and the MS Ultimate mod. I will have to listen to some other songs. One thing is for sure, it is more comfortable and the sound is better than with just the G cush alone.
gs1000.gif

PS. Thanks for the card nick. You are one thoughtful guy.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2,403 of 2,483
Well mine are all put together now - they sound absolutely brilliant (love the extra room in the soundstage), but, the GS1000 pads seem to move around a fair bit. I think the distancer lip is a bit too small.

Overall, extremely, extremely impressed. Turned a great pair of cans into my new favorites.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,404 of 2,483
I have really been enjoying my modified MS1i and have moved on to making "Grado" type wood cups. 

Does anyone have experience with woodies that have the distancer built in?  I made one pair but have not tried them because right now I really don't want to liberate my MS1i drivers unless I'm sure the woodies will provide significant improvement.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,405 of 2,483
Nope, can't help you with that. I am quite skeptical though I must say.

I do hope however that you did the punch hole mod.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,406 of 2,483

I have really been enjoying my modified MS1i and have moved on to making "Grado" type wood cups. 

Does anyone have experience with woodies that have the distancer built in?  I made one pair but have not tried them because right now I really don't want to liberate my MS1i drivers unless I'm sure the woodies will provide significant improvement.

I just finished up an sr80i project with this idea. Actually, now that I'm looking at more closely, it appears to be pretty close to the ms1000 woodie cup with the sr80i driver.

And on that note, I'm actually looking here for ideas on how to tame the brightness a bit. I am going to put a cloth back over the grill, but any other suggestions on how to do so?

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #2,407 of 2,483
I just finished up an sr80i project with this idea. Actually, now that I'm looking at more closely, it appears to be pretty close to the ms1000 woodie cup with the sr80i driver.

And on that note, I'm actually looking here for ideas on how to tame the brightness a bit. I am going to put a cloth back over the grill, but any other suggestions on how to do so?

I think the cloth idea is a good one, but I would start with a stiff felt cut it to fit inside the distancer.  I have used Creatology stiff felt from Michaels.  If this reduces the highs too much try thinner felt if you can find it and also try punching small (5mm) holes in the felt until you get the sound you desire.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,409 of 2,483
  i added some more felt to the recessed area as well as a layer of cloth in front of the driver. this really made the difference for me. thank you for the help.

Glad to hear you got the sound you wanted.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,410 of 2,483
I ended up sending my pair of MS1000's to @purrin for measurements and this is what it came up with (green is FR, harmonic distortion for the other lines).

My particular pair had the following mods:
-Stock enclosure and cup
-4 bass port holes
-14mm distancers with 3x 2mm holes (120 degrees apart)
-Felt glued on inside wall of distancers (should have used adhesive felt...)
-GS1000 pads (not knock-off brand)
-Ghettofabulous fabric glued on inside of pad for the "pad coating"

I started with these cans really early in my adventures and I'm consistently impressed by their fun, punchy, and airy sound.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,411 of 2,483
Has anyone sent a ms-1000 to Tyll for a FR comparison to a stock ms1i?  I'd be interested in seeing that.  I'd volunteer my pair if anyone knows Tyll.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,413 of 2,483
  I ended up sending my pair of MS1000's to @purrin for measurements and this is what it came up with (green is FR, harmonic distortion for the other lines).

My particular pair had the following mods:
-Stock enclosure and cup
-4 bass port holes
-14mm distancers with 3x 2mm holes (120 degrees apart)
-Felt glued on inside wall of distancers (should have used adhesive felt...)
-GS1000 pads (not knock-off brand)
-Ghettofabulous fabric glued on inside of pad for the "pad coating"

I started with these cans really early in my adventures and I'm consistently impressed by their fun, punchy, and airy sound.

Nice midbass boost :D Do you ever find the MS1000 mids slightly distanced? I occasionally do and your graphs suggest that too.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,415 of 2,483
  Personally I think the bass boost is pretty discrete compared to the mids. They are no DT770's, let's put it that way 
smily_headphones1.gif

Well of course! But what i mean is when compared to the stock MS1, the mids seem a touch unnatural... to my ears and this is confusing me because otherwise the mod is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back