Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Sep 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,341 of 2,483
That's really a shame that there aren't that many people that know about this. I guess the "difficulty" of coming across distancers is slightly off putting. 

I should make a note that I'm using Magnum IV drivers, not the Symphones X or Magnum V drivers. From what I can tell, the V drivers have slightly less bass, and have a touch more treble. As I only have only pair of distancers, which are currently epoxied on my cups. (not coming off anytime soon), I'm leaving the V drivers as they are. 

For me at least, the treble is really harsh when using the Magnum MS1000 mod, without placing some sort of foam in front of the drivers. I haven't had any bass issues ever since gluing on the distancers. While it doesn't have quite the impact and slam of orthodynamic headphones, it is very clean, tight, more than enough for my purposes. 

The change I really like is the widened soundstage. It makes the headphone suitable for classical, where it does surprisingly well. 

Don't expect to them to blow your head off whilst listening to dubstep, trance, or electronica. Nevertheless, it still sounds really good to my ears. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,342 of 2,483

Don't expect to them to blow your head off whilst listening to dubstep, trance, or electronica. Nevertheless, it still sounds really good to my ears. 

Don't want to trouble you, Jeff, but a (MS1-based) MS1000 or the MS Pro Ulti perform close-to-perfection IMO in respect of these very genres - I am a hardcore electronicahead. You get the right amount of brilliance & fundamental notes, that famous soundscape, and also a very nice bass foundation consisting of both kick- and deep bass. A well tuned one should perform and sound like a K701 plus bass & tiptoeing, you seem to have landed in the thin K501 territory. Great for classical or singer/songwriter, but...

Your Magnum 1000 still seems to have shrillness / thinness issues. Have you already tried the pad lining? It does not necessarily need to be glued, for testing purposes, the textiles can also just be put in there. Pad lining is totally superior to putting stuff in front of the driver, as nothing gets filtered and you keep the full resolution. You should combine these trials with partial closing of the distancer's drill holes. 3x 1,5mm are ideal for the Alessandros, but maybe a Magnum system needs different systematics...

If that all does not do the trick, I suggest you swallow your brave pills and give the punch hole mod a trial. Otherwise, you should hesitate about putting the Magnums back to stock (they are great stock IMO) and converting your MS1 instead.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,343 of 2,483
The last couple of days I have been looking around for some new headphones to play with.  I like to find value-priced headphones that can be improved significantly with modifications.  I was going to go with the Samson SR850, but I found the Alessandro MS-1 and this thread so I'm sold.......and I'm a longtime audiophile and a big fan of Joe Grado, who I had the honor of speaking to many years ago.

I have ordered the MS-1i and will order the G-Cush pads in the next couple of days.

I was wondering if there is a widely accepted set of dimensions for the distancers for the MS1i.  I might experiment using plumbing pipe as shown in some of the earlier posts and then make some nice wooden distancers out of an exotic wood.  I have access to a wood shop for the next few months so I could easily make wooden ones on a lathe.

An recommendations would be appreciated.

NOTE:  All of my listening will be sitting/laying at my home.  Will be playing flac files through a Mobile Fidelity V-DAC into a Project Sunrise II tube headphone amp.  Most of my listening will be Pink Floyd, Supertramp and the like. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,344 of 2,483
You'll find the dimensions in post #1, and I recommend you stick with it
smile_phones.gif

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,345 of 2,483
  You'll find the dimensions in post #1, and I recommend you stick with it
smile_phones.gif

nickchen

Thank you for the response.  I will stick with the dimensions in your first post.

I appreciate all the work you have done on this thread.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of modifying headphones but I couldn't do it without people like you.

Thanks again.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2,346 of 2,483
I'm truly awful when it comes to DIY personally - and I don't have the tools for wood working, I'd love to have a MS Ultimate though. I've been looking in the for sale section for a long time in hope that one would appear - unlikely. In the new year - when I can spend a bit more I may well post a thread to buy one. I think the guy who made wood distancers in australia disappeared, if anyone were willing to send them here I'd buy some to try with a MS Pro assuming they would work with something like blu tac? I wonder if I could find a pipe or plastic lid with the right diameter.

Also do the MS Ultimate also need the felt lining or is that only the MS1000?

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,347 of 2,483
  I'm truly awful when it comes to DIY personally - and I don't have the tools for wood working, I'd love to have a MS Ultimate though. I've been looking in the for sale section for a long time in hope that one would appear - unlikely. In the new year - when I can spend a bit more I may well post a thread to buy one. I think the guy who made wood distancers in australia disappeared, if anyone were willing to send them here I'd buy some to try with a MS Pro assuming they would work with something like blu tac? I wonder if I could find a pipe or plastic lid with the right diameter.

Also do the MS Ultimate also need the felt lining or is that only the MS1000?

I expect the MS Ultimate also need the felt lining.  Anyway, this is very easy to try and remove if you decide you don't like it.

I made a pilot test version out of two plumbing fixtures in less than 2 hours.  Of course, I used a lathe to speed up the cutting process, but all you really need is a vice to hold the fitting, a hacksaw to cut it, and a couple of files to file it down to final dimensions.

If I'm successful in making woodies to replace the whole cup on my MS1000s I'd be glad to send you my plumbing spacers.

If you don't want to wait, and I wouldn't, just take a set of calipers to the local plumbing store and start looking until you find plumbing fittings that will work.. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,348 of 2,483

If you don't want to wait, and I wouldn't, just take a set of calipers to the local plumbing store and start looking until you find plumbing fittings that will work.. 

Yep. that's exactly what I did for my MS1000.

Shameless plug here, but If you're looking for something more precise, I CAD'ed a spacer design a while ago and posted it on shapeways, which will 3-D print them and ship them around the world. However it's not too cheap and  takes a long time before you get them. Probably something like $30 and three weeks for a pair done in an aluminum polymer mixture shipped to Australia,  If you're feeling fancy they also do stainless steel, brass, silver, or gold even, for some ridiculous amount of money..
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1288966/alessandro-ms-1000-spacer.html?li=shop-results&materialId=28

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,349 of 2,483
I don't think that $30 is bad.  Its the wait that would kill me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,350 of 2,483
Awesome, I will order one of those 3d printed spacers. I can afford the wait as the MS Pro will have to come a little bit later as well. Thank you !

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,351 of 2,483
Looks to be more like $40 actually, as shipping outside of a handful of places is $20 for some reason... But yeah, enjoy. You'll be the second person to purchase a pair. I asked the first one to follow up with how well they worked for modding but he never did. He didn't come back complaining (or at all), so I assume they worked out ok. I didn't have the patience to wait three weeks to try them out myself, as I went the plumbing route, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how well they actually work, or even what they look like. However I can tell you they match nickchen's measurements, and should work if you get them done in a rigid material, the cheapest of which is alumide. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #2,352 of 2,483
That CAD-thingy is nice, but it seems to me that the bigger ring - the one that holds the pads - could use a slightly bigger diameter so that the pads sit more secure.

If anything, I am going to make couple of distancers today. :)

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,353 of 2,483
  Shameless plug here, but If you're looking for something more precise, I CAD'ed a spacer design a while ago and posted it on shapeways, which will 3-D print them and ship them around the world. However it's not too cheap and  takes a long time before you get them. Probably something like $30 and three weeks for a pair done in an aluminum polymer mixture shipped to Australia,  If you're feeling fancy they also do stainless steel, brass, silver, or gold even, for some ridiculous amount of money..
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1288966/alessandro-ms-1000-spacer.html?li=shop-results&materialId=28

That's great, this is the sort of thing I've been waiting for.  How is that alumide material?  Does it look nice enough, or do you not even end up seeing it?

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,354 of 2,483
I honestly haven't seen it in person, I didn't feel like waiting a couple weeks, so I made spacers out of pvc fittings. They were of very similar dimensions, and were pretty much entirely covered by the pads, so I'd assume you wouldn't see much of them.
The polished alumide apparently looks like this http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1247-Do-You-Want-Your-Space-Age-Alumide-3D-Prints-to-be-Smooth.html
which i think should be nice enough.

If anyone does order a pair, please do post some pictures and stuff with them, I'd like to see how they turn out. I've also made the CAD model free to access and download if you feel like modifying it or making it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back